POSITIONS AND COVER!!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

looking back our blips of the last 2 weeks can very much be written off
to not having cover for certain positions. our team has definately lost its sting
when we are missing some players, very scum/van persie'esk.
so maybe that is what we actually need to fight for the title.
a squad that can be rotated/rested because we have suitable cover to allow for this.
perhaps we need more players than we have all been anticipating with out previous
statements/signings.

excludes all possible buys for next season.

GOALKEEPER
first choice - friedel
we really need 2 new keepers. friedel wont last forever and gomes and cudicini
just dont cut it anymore if we want to keep improving and challenging.

DEFENDERS
first choice - kaboul, dawson, walker, BAE
king because he probably wont last much longer, 2 grandpas in gallas and nelson.
khumalo, bassong, corluka will more than likely be sold.
caulker moving into the 1st team next season.
we really need 2 defenders to cover walker and BAE and possibly 1 for CB cover.

MIDFIELD
first choice - lennon, parker, modric, bale
sandro, livermore are ok
kranjcar, rose not up to scratch, huddlestone prob wont even make it into the 1st team anymore.
definately need cover for both the wings so at least 2 midfielders we need

FORWARDS
have included vdv here and not midfield
first choice - vdv, defoe
ade, saha both loan players and poor dos santos who even knows whats happening with him.
so we need at least 2 strikers.

things are maybe not as good as we think. granted they arent bad either but we really and truly
do need some like for like cover in order to rest and rotate our squad.

for all intensive purposes we need 8 new players for a top class squad!!!
we dont need them all immediately, so over 1-3 seasons we can full the spots
but to really become the league topping team we want to become thats what we require.

and we need at least 3-4 of them by the start of next season!!!

GK= 2 new keepers

RB= Walker + 1 more (maybe Naughton, maybe someone new)

CB= Kaboul 1st choice, Need new 1st choice CB, Daws back up and Caulker back up. Obviously Gallas and King are short on time, but if we can keep one of them for a year or two more whilst a new CB beds in, that would be ideal.

LB= Benny + 1 other. Rose is ok for now but will need to improve or be upgraded.

RM= Lennon and 1 other. If we do get Hazard, sorted.

CM= Modric and Parker, Livermore and Sandro, Hud as well. Not much needs to be done here.

LM= Bale and I disagree with you about Kranjcar, more than capable back up.

ST= VDV, + 2 others, Defoe.

For me the key areas this summer are a top class CB and at least 1 if not two top Strikers. Would be great to get a pacy winger to cover Bale/Lennon, could be Hazard. GK, LB and RB need looking at but not essential for next season.

From what I understand, we own Saha. His contract ends in June, however, so he may as well be on loan. But the same goes for Nelsen (and Cudicini and Gomes and…)

Hazard could of course also backup Bale…

I was hoping we could get away with just one striker (plus someone like Hazard), but I'm starting to think that won't be possible.

Gomes will probably have his contract extended, which is kind of funny, because I was convinced he'd shrug off to Holland.

Things will get ugly if BAE gets hurt. I suppose Bale would have to track back, but... yikes...

A thread the other day you said you thought we needed 1 or 2 players to win the league.
Now its 7 or 8!! I believe that may be a case of the knee and the jerk finding each other.

Keepers - 1 top quality keeper needed. Ideally young. Friedel has 1 more season probably. Carlo is cover, Gomes will leave.

Defence we have Caulker, Naughton, Smith all out on loan. We are continually linked with the Ajax defender. Rose is adequate cover at left back and home grown. The young Brazilian lad is on trial.

Midfield Sandro is top quality and learning, Livermore is the type of squad player all teams need. Hudd needs to be prepared to be back up, you say he won't make it in the first team anymore - are your proposing to buy somebody to replace Modric or Parker? Ideally we need a speedy player to cover Bale and Lennon, most probably Hoilett as he is out of contract. Niko is great for the squad if he is happy to stay a squad player. Hazard is using us to bump up the price, unless Modric is on his way of course.

Strikers - I think we need to spend a minimum £40m there. Adebayor if he drops his wages and one other, Defoe could yet be sold as well, he's not happy.

And to continually talk about fighting for the title, that's not Spurs right now. Just look at the Blue Mancs and what they have spent to get there. Then look at what we spent in the summer. There is no comparison.
We are fighting for Top 4. Anything above that is a bonus, and finding players like Bale, Modric, even BAE who develop above their initial investment is the way Spurs are going to evolve the next few years.

I think that a lot of fans are going to be disappointed as we develop the ground. Look down the road at the Scum and their transfer record if you need an indication what happens when you invest in a big shiny new stadium. The reason they don't spend is they have no money.

linnet_spur said:
GK= 2 new keepers

RB= Walker + 1 more (maybe Naughton, maybe someone new)

CB= Kaboul 1st choice, Need new 1st choice CB VERTONGHEN, Daws back up and Caulker back up. Obviously Gallas and King are short on time, but if we can keep one of them for a year or two more whilst a new CB beds in, that would be ideal.

LB= Benny + 1 other. Rose is ok for now but will need to improve or be upgraded.

RM= Lennon and 1 other. If we do get Hazard, sorted.

CM= Modric and Parker, Livermore and Sandro, Hud as well. Not much needs to be done here.

LM= Bale and I disagree with you about Kranjcar, more than capable back up. problem is whenever he does get a run in kranjcar end up on the right and is mostly ineffective

ST= VDV, + 2 others, Defoe.

For me the key areas this summer are a top class CB and at least 1 if not two top Strikers. Would be great to get a pacy winger to cover Bale/Lennon, could be Hazard. GK, LB and RB need looking at but not essential for next season.

agree 100% with needing 1 cb and 2 strikers and maybe a winger.
arjen robben is looking to move back to epl, and he is going cheap so even if for just a season or 2 he could be cover for both wingers should we not get hazard.
id like ade to stay on leaving us with only 1 new striker to find.
for me eithr remy or huntelaar.

SpursUltra said:
A thread the other day you said you thought we needed 1 or 2 players to win the league.
Now its 7 or 8!! I believe that may be a case of the knee and the jerk finding each other.

true story, ha ha, but that was before the 2 loses and before i could pin point what it was
that seemed to be the problem. maybe im totally wrong but it stuck out like a sore thumb to me
especially in the scum game, and was just reinforced yesterday.

I would fall somewhere between 3-5 players - which is why finishing third is so important. If we have the certainty of Champions League football we can make these signings early as possible (for once).

The players I would like to see are Stekeleenburg - this might be the worst attempt to spell the Dutch keepers name.

Vertonghen
cover for RB and LB are essential

Hazard

Soldado/Huntelaar/Llorente (or, if I'm being greedy - which I am - a bid for one of Benzema or Higuain)

We aren't going to spend that much without flogging players, of course but these players are the ones I would be happiest with.

dont get me wrong im not downing the boys in any way,
and even the team we have now has been a good few years in the making,
and for us to have a real consistent league winning team will need another
3 years of grooming and getting right. the point is we are heading in the right direction
and we are doing it the correct way.
i was just pointing out that we still have a ways to go.
this season we were blown away by what the boys have done
and im sure many of us thought shit we are finally there, and in all the brilliance
we lost sight of what we set out to do. finish top 4 and get CL football.
we are currently well above what we planned to do and im sure we will get into CL.
what im pointing out is something that we need to address in the following seasons,
especially if we need to stay in the top 4 and keep Cl season on season.

Don't get me wrong i think :adestare: has done great, but for the money we're probably going to have to spend on him, i'm not sure he's the best choice. with players like Fernando Llorente out there and even the Napoli 3, supposedly up for sale at the end of the season maybe we should look a bit higher than manu

mad said:
Don't get me wrong i think :adestare: has done great, but for the money we're probably going to have to spend on him, i'm not sure he's the best choice. with players like Fernando Llorente out there and even the Napoli 3, supposedly up for sale at the end of the season maybe we should look a bit higher than manu

if he takes a pay cut i def think he is worth pursuing as he really has helped this season,
and i dont know if its just me but he seems to really want to help this team. he hasnt given
a days shit, and seems to be enjoying himself. also helps he has had a season to become part
of the team, doesnt always go so smoothly with new players.

Every time he plays I'm impressed by Livermore. He hasn't put in a bad performance in the first team all year. Can play midfield, holding midfield, CB, AND RB?

He's the type of squad player that teams dream about. Young academy graduate, loves just being in the team and isn't aggravating for a first team spot, and can play a ton of different positions. He's clean and composed on the ball and isn't looking to impress.

Fuck it, I may make my first Spurs jersey a #29.

VirginiaSpur said:
Every time he plays I'm impressed by Livermore. He hasn't put in a bad performance in the first team all year. Can play midfield, holding midfield, CB, AND RB?

He's the type of squad player that teams dream about. Young academy graduate, loves just being in the team and isn't aggravating for a first team spot, and can play a ton of different positions. He's clean and composed on the ball and isn't looking to impress.

This combined with actually looking like he gives a fuck is a good argument as to why he should continually be in the first team squad.

and after last night we are again going to be putting people in positions that they
A - dont usually play and B - dont like playing.
with the exceptions of CM and CB we get screwed properly when the injuries come.

what happens with everton? we get an ineffective vdv or kranjcar out on the right.
it doesnt just disrupt a player or 2 it disrupts the entire team and effects our play badly.
it also gives the opposition somewhere to hit us because its a blatantly obvious weakness.

Maybe walker and smith will play down the right hand side against Everton? Might be worth a try and probably be more solid down that side aswell.

Sean said:
Maybe walker and smith will play down the right hand side against Everton? Might be worth a try and probably be more solid down that side aswell.

i would love to see smith get a run in i think he deserves it, and would be nice if it worked too.
make the rest of the season fractionally less stressful for us fans wondering how the
problem is gonna be fixed.

YidoBuckler said:
VirginiaSpur said:

This combined with actually looking like he gives a fuck is a good argument as to why he should continually be in the first team squad.

Did you read his interview in last nights programme/on the official website?

Seems a top lad and really wants to do well for the club.

Back
Top Bottom