Pre-Season 2020

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd like to see us play the non-league teams around north London. Barnet, Borehamwood, Enfield, Haringey Borough etc.
Put it TV and give them the rights/ad revenue from it, a lot of these clubs are going to need help just to exist.

I don't think there's any chance of the internationals being cancelled. In fact it's the exact opposite: the October and November periods will have 3 matches rather than the normal 2, squeezed into the same timespan. Since UEFA and FIFA work on a one-member, one-vote basis the power lies with the smaller nations, not the Premier League, and the internationals are a pretty valuable source of revenue to them; there'd also have to be changes to the whole qualifying structure to accommodate smaller games.

There is some talk that teams playing Europe this August might start a little later, but I'm really not sure how that could work - there just isn't any obvious space in the schedule. I'm almost glad we managed to play the 2nd leg before lockdown and lost to Leipzig; would be very hard to see us winning the tournament anyway and it could have a huge impact on next season.

I'd put it slightly differently, UEFA and FIFA have been deliberately courting smaller nations, probably to help secure re-election.

But most/a lot of money going to UEFA (richest by far of the regional associations) comes from CL/EL (ie richest clubs) although they are trying to increase revenues from a much enlarged euros.

At some stage UEFA needs to be called out as their idea of scheduling is already causing health issues for players as well as screwing all the major leagues, although sadly not sure who will do it or when.

Fact is that the PL schedule is far too onerous due it being forced to finish on May 23 to accomodate an enlarged euros 2020, held a year late. UEFA should have had the grace to curtail it back to the same size as last time to allow a later end to this season. Sadly only if the current UEFA lot get jailed for corruption is that likely.

Agree with you that the idea that those still involved in EL/.CL for 19/20 can start the season later makes no sense - its already too congested for that to be a practical option..

I'd put it slightly differently, UEFA and FIFA have been deliberately courting smaller nations, probably to help secure re-election.

But most/a lot of money going to UEFA (richest by far of the regional associations) comes from CL/EL (ie richest clubs) although they are trying to increase revenues from a much enlarged euros.

At some stage UEFA needs to be called out as their idea of scheduling is already causing health issues for players as well as screwing all the major leagues, although sadly not sure who will do it or when.

Fact is that the PL schedule is far too onerous due it being forced to finish on May 23 to accomodate an enlarged euros 2020, held a year late. UEFA should have had the grace to curtail it back to the same size as last time to allow a later end to this season. Sadly only if the current UEFA lot get jailed for corruption is that likely.

Agree with you that the idea that those still involved in EL/.CL for 19/20 can start the season later makes no sense - its already too congested for that to be a practical option..
I know it's not right, but the more I read your post, the less I want us in Europa League. Next season will be pure chaos. Blood in the streets. If Woolwich winning the FA was not the only option, I honestly wouldn't mind staying focused in the league and domestic cups.

Last edited:
I know it's not right, but the more I read your post, the less I want us in Europa League. Next season will be pure chaos. Blood in the streets. If Woolwich winning the FA was not the only option, I honestly wouldn't mind staying focused in the league and domestic cups.

I know what you mean.

Reason I want EL still is :

1. I think it offers a genuine way back into CL following season by winning EL (in itself a great target to get a credible trophy,) and with Top 4 in PL being contested by probably 6+ teams, of which FFP avoiders Man City and Liverpool seem nailed on at the top, leaving 3rd place and 4th place being contested by 4+ teams (in no order Chelsea, Wolves, ManU and us.....with a few others might not be that far behind)

2. Despite everything, Spurs actually have a decent sized squad, so for most to play we need to be playing 50-60 games a season which only EL can give us. And without it we will probably use less than 18 players.....so what do the others do ?

And in EL we can also play some of the youth who are decent - Tanganga and Skipp being the best known now, but JM has said both Cirkin (LB/CB) and White (DM, emergency LB) will be in the first team squad next season, and only way they get minutes is if we play a lot of games.

3, EL is still a prestigious tournament which will attract more sponsors, and the stronger our finances become the more likely we can both buy better players and better chances of CL in later seasons.

Overall, I think its a big boost if we do get EL.

I know what you mean.

Reason I want EL still is :

1. I think it offers a genuine way back into CL following season by winning EL (in itself a great target to get a credible trophy,) and with Top 4 in PL being contested by probably 6+ teams, of which FFP avoiders Man City and Liverpool seem nailed on at the top, leaving 3rd place and 4th place being contested by 4+ teams (in no order Chelsea, Wolves, ManU and us.....with a few others might not be that far behind)

2. Despite everything, Spurs actually have a decent sized squad, so for most to play we need to be playing 50-60 games a season which only EL can give us. And without it we will probably use less than 18 players.....so what do the others do ?

And in EL we can also play some of the youth who are decent - Tanganga and Skipp being the best known now, but JM has said both Cirkin (LB/CB) and White (DM, emergency LB) will be in the first team squad next season, and only way they get minutes is if we play a lot of games.

3, EL is still a prestigious tournament which will attract more sponsors, and the stronger our finances become the more likely we can both buy better players and better chances of CL in later seasons.

Overall, I think its a big boost if we do get EL.
Yes, good points. I am a big Europa League fan as a tournament, by the way. And as I said in my previous comment, this is not even a discussion now. I hope we can finish in 6th place tomorrow, and once we are in the EL, we do our best to win it.

Besides, yesterday Jose said something that goes in the direction of your post: "It´s possible to rotate the squad, especially in the group stage". So, yes, many positivities in playing the competition.

My problem really is the schedule. The Premier League schedule is always hard - two cups, no winter break, etc. The Europa League schedule is always hard - one more round than CL, longer distances to travel, etc. When you have the two combined in a season where the schedule for everybody in every league will be hard, you know it´s going to be hell.

Do we go straight to Group stage in the EL?

I suspect the answer could be no.

However first matches we might play in EL would be in mid September (possibly 17 September), so maybe in first week after PL re-starts. So some earlyish fixture congestion, but not playing before season starts which is certainly a bonus - would hate to be playing EL in August before the season starts !.

6th Place now assured.

Think we go into 2nd Preliminary Round, draw 31 August and play 17 September,

3rd Preliminary Round, draw 1 September, play 24 September

Play Off Round, draw 18 September, play 1 October

Group Stages, draw 2 October, first game 22 October.

Loooks like all single games, no 2 legged matches.

Edit :

Actually think I missed out a permutation.

The FA Cup winners go into Group Stages so if Chelsea win the FA Cup (and are already in CL) then Spurs get the Group Stage place instead.

Last edited:
I'd like to see us play the non-league teams around north London. Barnet, Borehamwood, Enfield, Haringey Borough etc.
Put it TV and give them the rights/ad revenue from it, a lot of these clubs are going to need help just to exist.
Don't think the club still do it but we used to do something similar before friendlies became all about money

[from 2003]
I went to a Spurs vs Stortford in 2005/2006ish and it was a spurs team of mainly youth players but Jenas and Lennon who were already part of the first team squad both played a half each to gain fitness or something. Well worth the £1 entry fee

Think pre-season training begins on Monday (10th August), after players have had 3 weeks off after end of season, .

Problem is UEFA deciding to stick to their insane schedule of 5th and 8th September for meaningless Nations League fixtures - with PL starting on Saturday 12th September.

So that gives JM about 3 weeks to train with players then losing half of them for these meaningless internationals for 2 weeks.

So any preseason freindlies will have to be a mix of first team players not at internationals with Spurs u23's making up the numbers.

Only benefit will be the likes of Cirkin, White and Tanganga should get plenty of playing time - along with a few others

Last edited:
Ee2NnQaXoBYBbHq

Back
Top Bottom