Pre-Season - Colchester v Spurs Wednesday 21 July, 19.45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bollocks, I was ready to watch this but ended up forgetting about it until just now. Would someone be kind enough to tell me how it went? I see the score was 3-0, how did we play? Any youngsters look good?

Does Skipp count? He looked great.

Scarlett had a goal disallowed for offside (just barely) that was a great one-time shot off a nice long pass from Lucas.

CCV and Japhet looked solid defensively, though the competition didn't push them much.

Dele and Winks were below average, despite Dele's goal.

It will be a crime if we dont use Skipp as much as possible this year. Last year's player of the season (who played every game for the winners) in the Championship, home grown, in a position we are crying out for some ability. I thought he was a cut above before he went to Norwich - but that loan has made him an even better player, working under an excellent manager in Farke who trusted a loanee to be the engine room of his side

Does Skipp count? He looked great.

Scarlett had a goal disallowed for offside (just barely) that was a great one-time shot off a nice long pass from Lucas.

CCV and Japhet looked solid defensively, though the competition didn't push them much.

Dele and Winks were below average, despite Dele's goal.
Much appreciated, thank you.

Glad to hear Skipp picking up from where he left off at Norwich, if he turns out to be a proper player that is massive for us, we really need some control in the middle of the park.

It will be a crime if we dont use Skipp as much as possible this year.

I tend to agree but we also have to remember that he is just 20 and hasn't had much, if any, PL experience so far. He looks like the real deal but we need to be sure that we are smart with him, and that people remember that he is still developing. We don't need any Skipp is shit comments when he isn't lighting up the pitch in his first few games.

Let's hope he does but I hope more that he gets a fair amount of opportunities and that we don't ruin him with too high of expectations.

Of the relatively "unknown" players, this is my take (and yes it was a friendly so hard to assess players):
Paskotši looks a bit lightweight to be considered a CB (which is listed as) but did fine at the RB.
Olome, at LB, looked light-footed for a big guy, although he didn't contribute much on the offense. Would have liked to see him as LCB.
Cesay looked very gangly, like bambi on ice
Lyons-Foster was played out of position as RB but did ok but would like to see him at CB.
Fagan-Walcott looked solid at CB
White, for now, seem a bit lightweight for the EPL.
Devine didn't do much apart from running around a bit and showing grit.
Clarke was rather invisible but hardly got any passes
Parrott was drifting around in "nowhere-land" (he didn't seem to have a specific position)
Nile John and Scarlett, both looked sharp.

No Lusala, Lavinier, Eyoma, Muir, Cirkin, Bennett,

PS! Again, it's a friendly game, so I don't worry that much about the score or the performances (particularly senor players) that much

Last edited:
Great to see Skipp back in a Spurs shirt. He plays it simple when he should, and plays it forward when it's on. He looks unflustered/unrushed but is still alert to opportunities and to danger. His decision making is very good, especially for one so young.

Today was his first game back from a significant injury but he still showed his class, playing like someone much more experienced. He doesn't do much that's spectacular (although that cross field pass was tasty), but he finds the right solutions. I suspect it was no coincidence that we lost a bit of control second half when he went off (Dier and Son were the others who were subbed at half time).

I'm even more convinced he's ready for the prem after today: he can play with Hojbjerg easily I think.

Great to see Skipp back in a Spurs shirt. He plays it simple when he should, and plays it forward when it's on. He looks unflustered/unrushed but is still alert to opportunities and to danger. His decision making is very good, especially for one so young.

Today was his first game back from a significant injury but he still showed his class, playing like someone much more experienced. He doesn't do much that's spectacular (although that cross field pass was tasty), but he finds the right solutions. I suspect it was no coincidence that we lost a bit of control second half when he went off (Dier and Son were the others who were subbed at half time).

I'm even more convinced he's ready for the prem after today: he can play with Hojbjerg easily I think.

Skipp today was playing more as an 8 (with Winks playing as 6). On that basis I think Skipp could play alongside Hojbjerg as well as rotating with him.

Nice position to have.

I do wonder whether we could sell both Sissoko and Winks this TW, bringing in say Sabitzer (rumours seem to have died down a bit on him) so that our central midfield options (Dele I assume is a forward) become :

Ndombele, Sabitzer, Hojbjerg
Lo Celso, Skipp

Rather than trying to over play some players (as happened to Hojbjerg last season) I think those players could rotate so we always had decent quality available in all matches.

And added to that I wiuld suggest both Nile John and Alfie Devine are too young to loan out so could get minutes alongside more exoperience players in a limited number of matches - say 10 appearances each mainly off bench

That would get me thinking we have solved our weak CM area. But that might depend on whether Ndombele plays to his preacquisition standards and/or if Lo Celso stays fit, offset by the promise of John and Devine.

If short of cash we retain Winks, don't buy Sabitzer - and I winder if the likes of Nile John is old enough to stake a bigger claim by playing in more games.

I don’t think we are likely to be bringing in Sabitzer. That seemed to be a club tie that has died down now that Paratici has come in, but if we did we should definitely play him at RW not in the MF.

A Skipp-PEH pivot gives me concern for our creativity and ability to create chances, especially if we are looking at a guy like Tomiyasu at RB. It also means we have zero back- up for either. As impressive as Skipp apparently was today I would prefer he earns a spot in the starting 11 by beating someone better than Winks out for a spot rather than getting it because we have no other option.

It will be a crime if we dont use Skipp as much as possible this year. Last year's player of the season (who played every game for the winners) in the Championship, home grown, in a position we are crying out for some ability. I thought he was a cut above before he went to Norwich - but that loan has made him an even better player, working under an excellent manager in Farke who trusted a loanee to be the engine room of his side

I suspect he will play a lot of games. He looks built for the premier league but let’s hope we don’t burn him out like we did with Holbjerg last season.

Skipp today was playing more as an 8 (with Winks playing as 6). On that basis I think Skipp could play alongside Hojbjerg as well as rotating with him.

Nice position to have.

I do wonder whether we could sell both Sissoko and Winks this TW, bringing in say Sabitzer (rumours seem to have died down a bit on him) so that our central midfield options (Dele I assume is a forward) become :

Ndombele, Sabitzer, Hojbjerg
Lo Celso, Skipp

Rather than trying to over play some players (as happened to Hojbjerg last season) I think those players could rotate so we always had decent quality available in all matches.

And added to that I wiuld suggest both Nile John and Alfie Devine are too young to loan out so could get minutes alongside more exoperience players in a limited number of matches - say 10 appearances each mainly off bench

That would get me thinking we have solved our weak CM area. But that might depend on whether Ndombele plays to his preacquisition standards and/or if Lo Celso stays fit, offset by the promise of John and Devine.

If short of cash we retain Winks, don't buy Sabitzer - and I winder if the likes of Nile John is old enough to stake a bigger claim by playing in more games.

If we don’t sell one of winks or sissoko or both this summer then the transfer window will have been a failure. Mainly sissoko.

Back
Top Bottom