Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well today shows progress in that we lost by a one-goal margin instead of a four/five/six-goal margin. And that's ignoring the fact that 0-1 wasn't a fair result based on our performance today. We looked strong throughout the game, City just had better finishing.

We lost to both City and Liverpool early this season, and again in the last few months. But compare the two sets of results and you can't say that there hasn't been progress since then.

Last edited:
CGfe7HHWsAApaaB.jpg

I haven't felt such immense pride since we won the AIA Cup.

It's like people have forgotten losing 3-0 to west ham, 5-0 to liverpool, 6-0 and 5-1 to man city and treble losses to Woolwich, all in one season with two managers, we've progressed, maybe not points wise but something is being built, sadly i dont think it will be, due to the sheer amount of moany cunts in and around spurs fans social networkings, who think they're sir alex ferguson incarnate and that everything poch does is wrong and he's shit and should be sacked after 5 games, but we'll only end up in the same hole, best thing that can happen is too keep our best players and the same manager and build on this season

I think the progress is in the overall makeup of the squad. When you look at our squad at the end of last season there was very little to project as positive for the long term. We had been buoyed to a solid league finish by Adebayor and Eriksen. Everyone who has paid attention knew the Adebayor thing was not a long term solution. We had six failed signings, Vertonghen and Lloris were unsettled, Bentaleb and Rose were scapegoats, and we had no coach and Franco Baldini.

Now about twelve months later we have one of the best strikers in the league who is 21 and cost nothing, Bentaleb and Rose are two of our most consistent performers, Vertonghen seems unlikely to leave, we have the young player of the season at the top three levels of English football (Kane, Pritchard, and Alli), Ryan Mason is found money even if his future is as rotation player, Chadli scored 10 league goals, Lamela could still be salvaged, Eric Dier looks like a real player, our academy is brimming with talent, at worst Pochettino is a competent coach, and we have a guy heading our transfer decisions that looks like he has a clue.

I think that in Kane, Bentaleb, Eriksen, Dier, Vertonghen, Rose, Lloris, and hopefully Walker, Lamela, and Mason we have a real base of players that we can feel confident building around the next 2-3 seasons and only Lloris looks a immediate threat to leave. Plus Alli, Pritchard, and the academy boys have tons of potential as well. Last season you would have said only Eriksen, Vertonghen, and Lloris were good bets for the future.

For that reason, I do think we've made progress. I actually feel like I see a team coming together that makes sense for the future. Do we still have huge holes? Absolutely. Is the core young and football immature? Yes. Might Levy sell a bunch of them off? Of course. However, we have a bright and talented young core with a good portion of it being homegrown. You could not say that 12 months ago. That is substantial progress IMO. Now to see tangible on field progress we need to buy smartly in the summer and hope that Pochettino is manager that can coach his team to improvement from season to season.

Last season's sixth place was built on smoke and mirrors, this year it feels like we could have something special going forward if we make a few smart decisions and get a little luck. A long way to go though.

Progress will be if we don't sell Eriksen/Lloris or Kane to Real Madrid/Man Utd/Billion Dollar City in the Summer... THAT is our only measure of progress at the moment! IMHO!

In all seriousness though... We're the 5th best team in the league. A season of all that "we should be beating so and so, we shouldn't be dropping points to them, blah blah" stuff... and yet we're 5th!
Behind 2 clubs that have spent billions in the last 10 years, the most successful PL era club... and a bunch of cunts that also have a lot more money. All of whom smash us in terms of wages.
All the negative people, we're clearly not as bad as you make out. We really had no right to be finishing ahead of liverpool. The same Liverpool that were one slip away from winning the league last season. The same Liverpool that are historically the second biggest club in this country. Only recently being knocked off top spot. Fucking 5th! With a 19 year old playing nearly every league game in midfield. With 3 academy graduates playing most games and all, at one point or another, being the best player on the pitch. With Danny fucking Rose being some peoples player of the season. Three players scoring in double figures! Nacer Chadli scored more goals than most other clubs top scorers.
And no doubt we're still gonna get cunts moaning.

Last edited:
People have very short memories regarding just how bad we were performing last season if they can't see the progress that's been made this season.

Progress doesn't necessarily = more points.

We are playing better football in spells this season that we played at all last season. That's where the progress is visible.

Ive enjoyed watching us far more often this season than last. That's progress and in truth the only expectation I had of Poch this season.

Smoked Salmon

Finest human being of all time
There was a comment after today's result on BBC News that run along the lines of "bad result, but at least I saw progress today".

Now, I don't want to be Poch bashing, but we're potentially on course for our worst finish in five years (which needs to be compared against what came before it), and, while I personally think this is our level at the moment, I am really perplexed by the idea of progress.

Surely, if anything, we're just holding fast on top six. I'm not seeing the progress.

In terms of league position, we haven't; in terms of performance, think we have slightly; in terms of unearthing some unexpected talent, yes. My expectations weren't high this season, but at least I had two games which took me close to heaven, and that hasn't happened for a while.

That's it.

Preseason I was hoping for a a good cup run, to qualify for Europe and Poch to show signs of integrating youth which we did achieve

Club wise the progress with the stadium is welcome too.

There is a disappointment with certain aspects such as a lack of plan B (Perhaps due to the players available) and the disappointing performances of some players.

All in all, a decent if not spectacular season.

Until we lose to Stoke next week in which I take all this back and everyone at Spurs is a cunt.

I think the progress is in the overall makeup of the squad. When you look at our squad at the end of last season there was very little to project as positive for the long term. We had been buoyed to a solid league finish by Adebayor and Eriksen. Everyone who has paid attention knew the Adebayor thing was not a long term solution. We had six failed signings, Vertonghen and Lloris were unsettled, Bentaleb and Rose were scapegoats, and we had no coach and Franco Baldini.

Now about twelve months later we have one of the best strikers in the league who is 21 and cost nothing, Bentaleb and Rose are two of our most consistent performers, Vertonghen seems unlikely to leave, we have the young player of the season at the top three levels of English football (Kane, Pritchard, and Alli), Ryan Mason is found money even if his future is as rotation player, Chadli scored 10 league goals, Lamela could still be salvaged, Eric Dier looks like a real player, our academy is brimming with talent, at worst Pochettino is a competent coach, and we have a guy heading our transfer decisions that looks like he has a clue.

I think that in Kane, Bentaleb, Eriksen, Dier, Vertonghen, Rose, Lloris, and hopefully Walker, Lamela, and Mason we have a real base of players that we can feel confident building around the next 2-3 seasons and only Lloris looks a immediate threat to leave. Plus Alli, Pritchard, and the academy boys have tons of potential as well. Last season you would have said only Eriksen, Vertonghen, and Lloris were good bets for the future.

For that reason, I do think we've made progress. I actually feel like I see a team coming together that makes sense for the future. Do we still have huge holes? Absolutely. Is the core young and football immature? Yes. Might Levy sell a bunch of them off? Of course. However, we have a bright and talented young core with a good portion of it being homegrown. You could not say that 12 months ago. That is substantial progress IMO. Now to see tangible on field progress we need to buy smartly in the summer and hope that Pochettino is manager that can coach his team to improvement from season to season.

Last season's sixth place was built on smoke and mirrors, this year it feels like we could have something special going forward if we make a few smart decisions and get a little luck. A long way to go though.
Top, top post. My thoughts exactly, only articulated better.

I know a lot of folks disagree, but I thought this season was a blast. All of those last minute winners. A cup run. A couple of orgasmic wins. A group of young players who you can really get behind. Harry Kane in goal after a hat trick. Juju. Archway burning to the ground. An inflatable dolphin passed around the stadium.

It's just been a lot more fun this season. I call that progress.

In terms of league position, we haven't; in terms of performance, think we have slightly; in terms of unearthing some unexpected talent, yes. My expectations weren't high this season, but at least I had two games which took me close to heaven, and that hasn't happened for a while.

So many negative fans.

Baffles me how people don't see the progress. We outplayed the former Premier League Champions, a team who usually smash us.

We had a poor start and we had a poor March/April, largely due to getting knocked out of 2 cups at once. Don't let that distort your impression of the season. We've done a great job with what we've got.

We're more or less in the same position as last year, true. But....
Untied spent £170mil
Liverpool spent £110+ mil
Southampton spent £76 mil
Woolwich spent £105 mil

We spent £40 mill. Considering our rivals are all spending more than us, we've done incredibly well to hold our own with virtually no spending in a season of transition, while getting to a cup final and playing more games than anyone else in England.

The club is in good health, the scouting basis is impressive, the squad is young, players ARE improving, a new stadium in the next 3 years, a great youth academy with many prospects. Not sure what more people expect; for Levy to splash out £100 mil? How'd that go last time, remind me.

Aaaah, so this particular result was my predicted Poch out outing. A game that means fuck all in a season that in essence means fuck all.

LETS GET OUR 13th MANAGER IN 10 YEARS BOYS!

That'll sort it. Give him time for fuck sake. For once in our shitty existence can we, Spurs fans, show some fucking patience.

Its been hinted at.
Im just waiting for when people start saying its the wrong kind of 5th, the wrong cup final. That our best players papered over the cracks. That really, despite finishing 5th, we actually should have finished 10th.
That had the season gone on longer we'd have been mid table. Or That, this 5th doesnt count because we only have 64 points.
You missed the old classic 'where would we be if Kane hadn't scored 30 goals and Lloris went under a bus' argument.

That's my favourite. Compare any clubs' season with their two best players removed and its a different fuckin story!!

It actually manages to put a negative into having some excellent players by claiming we'd be worse without them.

Which is fucking obvious!!

On the subject of progress....

During the 90' and 00' Spurs was the ultimate mid table team with a few cup runs thrown 8n to the mix, 10 average players a luxury player with flair... that was out entertainment.
Under Ramon it was a complete nightmare, having quality players and couldn't buy a win.
Under Harry we ended up with champions league footy playing some of the best football I have seen since the venables / ardilles team. then we have AvB, as much as i wanted him to succeed the football was boring, slow predicatble and getting hammered by the top teams. I lost faith in our vision and what being a Spurs support stands for....
Tim well we all know what happened there...
Under Poch, I believe we are trying to build a team of young English players, using our youth team to promote talent and all the while the manager and players are growing as a team. This season we have stabled the team with results, good wins mixed with bad defeats.
I'm optomistic for next season, with Poch having more players to sign that suits his system and getting rid of his the deadwood.

Have we progressed fromantic a mid table team yes, from the height of Champions league footy NO.

Do I enjoy bing a Spurs support again YES

Back
Top Bottom