Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You forgot my personal favorite of them all: the argument that without the points earned off Kane's goals we'd have finished 14th or something...which also requires you to assume the premise that we played with 10 men and a big hole on the pitch where a striker would be!
:paulinhofacepalm:
Yep another excellent one!

no point us arguing for 10 pages or going back through it all. alienating players, poor defensively & no plan b are some of them. but lets not get in to another debate. agree to disagree. poch can do no wrong. & u guys argue with sammy & talk about him even when hes sin binned, for the good of the forum, ebola victims & our troops abroad. thank u so much.

no point us arguing for 10 pages or going back through it all. alienating players, poor defensively & no plan b are some of them. but lets not get in to another debate. agree to disagree. poch can do no wrong. & u guys argue with sammy & talk about him even when hes sin binned, for the good of the forum, ebola victims & our troops abroad. thank u so much.
Sammy's been mentioned a few times. The fact is that he posts dozens of times a day so obviously his absence is going to be felt. I think most agree that his absence makes the forum better. What you fail to understand is that he makes an impression with with the sheer quantity of his negative posts, not the quality of them. So we finished well yesterday and the absence of his relentless shower of negativity is noticeable.

Obviously a few people have mentioned this. That doesn't justify or vindicate him in any way as you suggest. Actually you're the only one that is seeming obsessed with him.

Wonder if those who claimed finishing 5th under AVB was better than finishing 4th the previous year due to a higher points total still think thats the case?

Its genuinely such a stupid argument i still haven't worked out how to combat it.

Although, you never see anyone say "If we didn't have our two worst players, we'd have finished higher"

Lets face it, if we swapped Ade and Soldado with Austin and Ings, we'd probably have finished 4th. It is what it is.
Its a similar argument to the one used by idiots who claim we only finished 4th because Liverpool were shit and City weren't City.

Wonder if any of those idiots will claim we only finished 5th this season because liverpool are shit, i doubt it

I wouldn't call it progress. Roughly speaking, half the games we played against poor opposition, we either dropped points or deserved to, being outplayed so much time. Lack of control against poor teams is the big negative to me.

I wouldn't say poch´ has done better than Tim and Villas Boas. Not worse either. I'm ok if he stays though.

On the bright side it feels good to see so many young players breaking though. And that we had the youngest team in the prem'.

I wouldn't call it progress. Roughly speaking, half the games we played against poor opposition, we either dropped points or deserved to, being outplayed so much time. Lack of control against poor teams is the big negative to me.

I wouldn't say poch´ has done better than Tim and Villas Boas. Not worse either. I'm ok if he stays though.

On the bright side it feels good to see so many young players breaking though. And that we had the youngest team in the prem'.

If we are looking at the 16 teams that both Villas Boas and Sherwood came up against last season, Pochettino outperformed both. AVB got 27 points, Sherwood 28 which would add up to 55 in total, whereas Pochettino got 57 points.

This season is most definitely progress on last. The fans themselves are happier in general, we got to a cup final, we bettered where we finished in the league. Couldn't care less on points total, if we finished top of the league with less points, who would complain?

Sammy's been mentioned a few times. The fact is that he posts dozens of times a day so obviously his absence is going to be felt. I think most agree that his absence makes the forum better. What you fail to understand is that he makes an impression with with the sheer quantity of his negative posts, not the quality of them. So we finished well yesterday and the absence of his relentless shower of negativity is noticeable.

Obviously a few people have mentioned this. That doesn't justify or vindicate him in any way as you suggest. Actually you're the only one that is seeming obsessed with him.
u are the ones that brought him up right after our great finish to the season, not me. u are the ones who said he was impossible to ignore. u are the deluded 1s who wont admit u actually want or choose to talk about him or argue with him because u want to. u make out its for the good of the board even after hes been binned. its really cringing how u reject all responsibility.

before he was binned u guys said he us hard to ignore because of all his posts. u guys said u couldnt put him on ignore blah blah. whatever poor excuse to avoid saying u want or choose to argue with him. u make out it was for the good of the board etc. i said even if he was binned u would still talk about him. & low & behold u did.

i am not obsessed with sammy. i am amazed at how u guys are too stubborn & self conscious to just admit u like or want to argue with him for reasons that arent for the good of the board or cringing reasons like that. but carry on as u were. the forum protectors of the universe. but honestly, if u said u like a good old argument, no 1 would judge u. dont be so self conscious.

I WILL DROP IT NOW. MADE MY POINT ABOUT U GUYS WANTING TO TALK ABOUT OR ARGUE WITH SAMMY. ITS ALL THERE IN THE POSTS AFTER OUR GREAT FINISH TO THE SEASON WHERE U GUYS STILL COULDNT NOT TALK ABOUT HIM & BRING HIM UP. OVER & OUT

Last edited:
If we are looking at the 16 teams that both Villas Boas and Sherwood came up against last season, Pochettino outperformed both. AVB got 27 points, Sherwood 28 which would add up to 55 in total, whereas Pochettino got 57 points.

This season is most definitely progress on last. The fans themselves are happier in general, we got to a cup final, we bettered where we finished in the league. Couldn't care less on points total, if we finished top of the league with less points, who would complain?
yes totti. because theres no such thing as change of form or transfers. & things would have been exactly the same if avb or tim had a full season.

Last edited:

Think about it: 57 points is one game outcome away from 55 points. I don't think it's conclusive at all as to whether we made progress. As Scott pointed out, there are so many random factors that can explain that thin margin...

Its a similar argument to the one used by idiots who claim we only finished 4th because Liverpool were shit and City weren't City.

Wonder if any of those idiots will claim we only finished 5th this season because liverpool are shit, i doubt it
Well, arguably, it's true for the most part. They've got a much bigger wage bill, don't have a squad with full of cliques, and have had the same manager for three years to create a single squad and approach.

The fact that they still cocked it up to the extent they did really does mean they gifted 5th to us or Soton.

We made fewer mistakes then them. Given the challenges we had this year, I'm quite shocked that was the case, but very happy none-the-less.

A professional summer with the deadwood shipped out and useful players brought in and we could be able to do a whole lot better next year, which is all I can ask for.

alienating players, poor defensively & no plan b are some of them. but lets not get in to another debate. agree to disagree. poch can do no wrong.
Do you believe Poch dropped players for no reason? Or because maybe they weren't all pulling in the same direction? Maybe they were causing trouble? Maybe they were going against the grain? Or maybe Poch just wanted to see how well he could do with 16 players. Yep, that's it.
Funny, because had he played those players and their performances weren't good enough, you'd have slated him for picking those players! He's the manager. You have no fuckin idea why those players were dropped. Don't make assumptions and use that against him.

You'd be hard pushed to find someone who could defend our defensive record this season. Definitely where most work is needed, for sure.

No plan B - yet we managed to win how many games late on? I'd suggest we changed our game plan somewhat to win those. It's no coincidence it happened time and again.

That is a mental argument. Liverpool weren't shit, after all they finished 6th - but they did underachieve.

I'd dread to think what our fan base would do if we went from 2nd to 6th...

Think about it: 57 points is one game outcome away from 55 points. I don't think it's conclusive at all as to whether we made progress. As Scott pointed out, there are so many random factors that can explain that thin margin...
No two seasons' results are directly comparable, so it's pointless trying. But what we can do is use results, performances and points tallies to loosely compare managers - and in that respect Poch has done very well in his first year.

We're mentally stronger as a team, and we have the foundations now to build a decent squad with some clever buys and injection of more youth players.

The turnover of players (and managers) the past 24 months is huge - yet we have managed to remain pretty consistent in that time.

What other club can say that?

Fulham went to extra time against Atletico Madrid in the EL final 5 years ago...they barely stayed in the Championship this season.

That's how quickly things can change. Our consistency is quite incredible.

Back
Top Bottom