Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Smoked Salmon

Finest human being of all time
There was a comment after today's result on BBC News that run along the lines of "bad result, but at least I saw progress today".

Now, I don't want to be Poch bashing, but we're potentially on course for our worst finish in five years (which needs to be compared against what came before it), and, while I personally think this is our level at the moment, I am really perplexed by the idea of progress.

Surely, if anything, we're just holding fast on top six. I'm not seeing the progress.

Progress will be if we don't sell Eriksen/Lloris or Kane to Real Madrid/Man Utd/Billion Dollar City in the Summer... THAT is our only measure of progress at the moment! IMHO!

Well today shows progress in that we lost by a one-goal margin instead of a four/five/six-goal margin. And that's ignoring the fact that 0-1 wasn't a fair result based on our performance today. We looked strong throughout the game, City just had better finishing.

We lost to both City and Liverpool early this season, and again in the last few months. But compare the two sets of results and you can't say that there hasn't been progress since then.

Last edited:
Well today shows progress in that we lost by a one-goal margin instead of a four/five/six-goal margin. And that's ignoring the fact that 0-1 wasn't a fair result based on our performance today. We looked strong throughout the game, City just had better finishing.

We lost to both City and Liverpool early this season, and again in the last few months. But compare the two sets of results and you can't deny that there hasn't been progress since then.

Well if you compare the margin of defeat (0-3 & 1-4, as opposed to 2-3 and 0-1) then yes, 'progress' has been made... yet Chelsea 'only' beat Palace 1-0 today, after beating them 2-1 away (with the Palace goal coming as a consolation in the 90th minute) ...by that reckoning, have Chelsea gone backwards???

Nah, I get what you're saying, but we also lost three times to West Ham last season, yet managed to beat them this season... I don't see our name being carved into any trophy for that achievement!
A defeat is a defeat... it's still 0 points, however they are lost!

Well if you compare the margin of defeat (0-3 & 1-4, as opposed to 2-3 and 0-1) then yes, 'progress' has been made... yet Chelsea 'only' beat Palace 1-0 today, after beating them 2-1 away (with the Palace goal coming as a consolation in the 90th minute) ...by that reckoning, have Chelsea gone backwards???

Nah, I get what you're saying, but we also lost three times to West Ham last season, yet managed to beat them this season... I don't see our name being carved into any trophy for that achievement!
A defeat is a defeat... it's still 0 points, however they are los t!
Going from thrashings to comfortable victories takes a lot of progress. Narrow defeats are in-between the two so I still think we can be happy with how far we've come against the top teams.

The amount we've improved may not have earned us any more points, but if we improve to the same degree over the course of next season, zero-point games will become one/three-point games.

Today wasn't really a bad Spurs-performance, but it wasn't particularly good either. Since the Woolwich-game we haven't been firing on all sylinders.

Had City got one of their penalty claims in the first half it could easily have become 0-3 or 0-4 in the end.

And this City-team is nowhere near their 1 half of the season form..

Today wasn't really a bad Spurs-performance, but it wasn't particularly good either. Since the Woolwich-game we haven't been firing on all sylinders.

Had City got one of their penalty claims in the first half it could easily have become 0-3 or 0-4 in the end.

Penalty claims, Aguero dived.

Had we scored one of our early chances it could have easily have become 3-0 or 4-0 in the end.

I don't there has been much at all, the back four is still as shaky as ever, our use of set pieces is still piss poor and the squad is still packed with deadwood for starters.

Lets be honest here, the Chelsea and Woolwich results along with Kane's 30 goals have papered over a lot of cracks. If Kane had scored the amount of goals we all thought then we'd quite easily be in the bottom half of the table.

Poch still has it all to do, I'm sure that isn't what his fanboys want to hear but its the truth I'm afraid.

Only getting beaten by one goal as opposed to three or four isn't progress in my mind. Man City hadn't won away since Feb before today.

Progress will be if we don't sell Eriksen/Lloris or Kane to Real Madrid/Man Utd/Billion Dollar City in the Summer... THAT is our only measure of progress at the moment! IMHO!

Indeed Sir, stability of the squad would be progress.

Some players have individually progressed , some gone backwards.

The word transitional springs to mind, has anyone used that word before

:memeokay:

There was a comment after today's result on BBC News that run along the lines of "bad result, but at least I saw progress today".

Now, I don't want to be Poch bashing, but we're potentially on course for our worst finish in five years (which needs to be compared against what came before it), and, while I personally think this is our level at the moment, I am really perplexed by the idea of progress.

Surely, if anything, we're just holding fast on top six. I'm not seeing the progress.
The difference from the absolute shit that bored me to tears the last two years is as different as night and day. Our football is played with intent, we move the ball faster and we create better chances (not speculative shots from 25yrds). But the biggest improvement is our mentality, we don't capitulate anymore, whilst I've seen us play poorly this year the effort given from the majority of our players at least justifies the entrance fee (figure of speach as £20 is plenty).

But lets be honest with ourselves, our progression up the table depends on one or hopefully more of those above us on having a shit season.

In terms of league position, we haven't; in terms of performance, think we have slightly; in terms of unearthing some unexpected talent, yes. My expectations weren't high this season, but at least I had two games which took me close to heaven, and that hasn't happened for a while.

In terms of league position, we haven't; in terms of performance, think we have slightly; in terms of unearthing some unexpected talent, yes. My expectations weren't high this season, but at least I had two games which took me close to heaven, and that hasn't happened for a while.

That's it.

Preseason I was hoping for a a good cup run, to qualify for Europe and Poch to show signs of integrating youth which we did achieve

Club wise the progress with the stadium is welcome too.

There is a disappointment with certain aspects such as a lack of plan B (Perhaps due to the players available) and the disappointing performances of some players.

All in all, a decent if not spectacular season.

Until we lose to Stoke next week in which I take all this back and everyone at Spurs is a cunt.

People have very short memories regarding just how bad we were performing last season if they can't see the progress that's been made this season.

Progress doesn't necessarily = more points.

We are playing better football in spells this season that we played at all last season. That's where the progress is visible.

Ive enjoyed watching us far more often this season than last. That's progress and in truth the only expectation I had of Poch this season.

Today was progress in a good way from the Villa match. Not convinced we are any further forward than we were at this time last season, or the one before.

Especially when I consider that our closest competition seem to be worse than they have been for quite some time.

It's like people have forgotten losing 3-0 to west ham, 5-0 to liverpool, 6-0 and 5-1 to man city and treble losses to Woolwich, all in one season with two managers, we've progressed, maybe not points wise but something is being built, sadly i dont think it will be, due to the sheer amount of moany cunts in and around spurs fans social networkings, who think they're sir alex ferguson incarnate and that everything poch does is wrong and he's shit and should be sacked after 5 games, but we'll only end up in the same hole, best thing that can happen is too keep our best players and the same manager and build on this season

but at least I had two games which took me close to heaven, and that hasn't happened for a while.

thank you.

didn't catch the game today, but I've heard some say it was one of the best matches they've seen all season (from a neutral point of view). Could anyone have seen us giving City a game like that last season? What about one as entertaining as the 3-2 match at Liverpool (granted, they've regressed sans Suarez)? We beat Chelsea and Arse handily. I think one can almost certainly say it's been a progressive season in terms of our mentality when going up against the other 'big boys'

I think the progress is in the overall makeup of the squad. When you look at our squad at the end of last season there was very little to project as positive for the long term. We had been buoyed to a solid league finish by Adebayor and Eriksen. Everyone who has paid attention knew the Adebayor thing was not a long term solution. We had six failed signings, Vertonghen and Lloris were unsettled, Bentaleb and Rose were scapegoats, and we had no coach and Franco Baldini.

Now about twelve months later we have one of the best strikers in the league who is 21 and cost nothing, Bentaleb and Rose are two of our most consistent performers, Vertonghen seems unlikely to leave, we have the young player of the season at the top three levels of English football (Kane, Pritchard, and Alli), Ryan Mason is found money even if his future is as rotation player, Chadli scored 10 league goals, Lamela could still be salvaged, Eric Dier looks like a real player, our academy is brimming with talent, at worst Pochettino is a competent coach, and we have a guy heading our transfer decisions that looks like he has a clue.

I think that in Kane, Bentaleb, Eriksen, Dier, Vertonghen, Rose, Lloris, and hopefully Walker, Lamela, and Mason we have a real base of players that we can feel confident building around the next 2-3 seasons and only Lloris looks a immediate threat to leave. Plus Alli, Pritchard, and the academy boys have tons of potential as well. Last season you would have said only Eriksen, Vertonghen, and Lloris were good bets for the future.

For that reason, I do think we've made progress. I actually feel like I see a team coming together that makes sense for the future. Do we still have huge holes? Absolutely. Is the core young and football immature? Yes. Might Levy sell a bunch of them off? Of course. However, we have a bright and talented young core with a good portion of it being homegrown. You could not say that 12 months ago. That is substantial progress IMO. Now to see tangible on field progress we need to buy smartly in the summer and hope that Pochettino is manager that can coach his team to improvement from season to season.

Last season's sixth place was built on smoke and mirrors, this year it feels like we could have something special going forward if we make a few smart decisions and get a little luck. A long way to go though.

Makes me sick to say but money wins football matches. That should be clear with those West London bastards doing a double this season.
The only way we will succeed in the coming years is for Levy & Co to heavily invest in our squad.
Not the 'Tottenham way' but it'll be the way to league titles and cup victories.

Back
Top Bottom