Project, anyone?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone fancy contributing to a sort of hobby project?

Put simply, I'm building a bit of a "resource" for Spurs related information - past and present. I always feel like it's a pain to find information that's specific to the spurs paradigm, and every now and again I have to simply question my own memory because I can't find something I'm sure I read a while back. There's always Wikipedia itself, but the fact that anyone can edit pages makes the whole thing a bit of a clusterfuck of information, sifting through pages and pages of rubbish/articles. I thought it would be a good thing to start off, but there's obviously going to be a large scope for content.

Plenty of room for contribution - if anyone feels like it's up their street, let me know.
:adesalute:

Are we talking about something like an index of Spurs related web publishing or more of a statistical database?

More of the former than the latter.

I'm not really ruling anything out, but it's using the same wikimedia software that Wikipedia runs off, which actually allows a lot. But that should give you a better of idea of what I'm thinking - like an Encyclopedia more than a database. Not really a limit, if someone wants to record stats then they are free to do so, but it's more the intention of keeping up to date with things like what ex-players did then/are doing now.

What sort of information are you thinking??
Results, etc??

As above really.

I'm not sure what I'm limited to yet, but I think there's the possibility of linking YouTube videos in (so therein lays potential to put old match clips up in relevant pages and stuff).

Nice. I like the idea of a go to resource for Spurs.
As you say theres nothing really like that out there.
Bits of info all over the place.

No idea how useful i'd be but i'll help as much as I can.
(I'll try and reduce the "cunts" and "fucks" as well :))

The other issue Wikipedia has is that it's too easy for people to sabotage it.
Which is an overblown criticism, because the act of sabotage is even more easily reversed and is typically undone in minutes. And pages that face repeated sabotage get locked anyways.

Wikipedia is fucking incredible, and anyone that claims differently such as ArcSpace is a twat.

For anybody but experts in their own fields, Wikipedia is frequently the easiest, best, and most reliable reference on a given subject. The key word being "reference".

It's 10k times more useful, engaging, and expansive than the voluminous Britannica series that it has made obsolete.

Which is an overblown criticism, because the act of sabotage is even more easily reversed and is typically undone in minutes. And pages that face repeated sabotage get locked anyways.

Wikipedia is fucking incredible, and anyone that claims differently such as ArcSpace is a twat.

For anybody but experts in their own fields, Wikipedia is frequently the easiest, best, and most reliable reference on a given subject. The key word being "reference".

It's 10k times more useful, engaging, and expansive than the voluminous Britannica series that it has made obsolete.

Absolutely, which is one of the reasons why I'm using the same engine. There have been plenty of cases where the 'sabotage' is so sincere, that it goes under the radar for a long time (some times even taken as verbatim).

Sites like Facebook allow community editing that works a bit smoother (in my opinion), which works on moderated edits until you build up a certain level of experience.

Back
Top Bottom