Project Big Picture

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me, I think the proposals are absolutely fine (I support the reduction of games by binning off the League Cup & Charity Sheild.
I would be fine with keeping the League cup, but make it so that the teams that qualified for Europe that previous season are not part of it.

That way we also ensure that there is at least one new team in Europe the next season in the Conference league.

The Shield I can take or leave since it is literally 1 game.

I'd be worried about how the football league teams would spend the money. There's a massive history of football league teams being miss-managed.

Also can't see this ever passing the prem vote, 14 teams won't vote to have zero say, receive less money and have less a chance of getting back into the prem if they're relegated.

For me, I think the proposals are absolutely fine (I support the reduction of games by binning off the League Cup & Charity Sheild and on the face of it reducing teams to 18 in the League, even though I'm deeply sceptical that the intent is for these games to be replaced by a new European Super League or expansion of CL for which I don't want). BUT the killer is the power grab, I'm totally and utterly opposed to this, it has to remain 1 club 1 vote.
There won't be fewer games, just more Peace Cup type "tournaments" to milk fans in China and the US. United and Liverpool would rather put out their U23 side to play a meaningless game against Milan in Beijing than send them to a League Cup game against Peterborough.

All the Championship clubs will want it because they are run so badly. Look at their wages to turnover . I've no sympathy with any of them going out of business when they are run like this. Second tweet, ignore the first, I cant stop it linking in.

Many people speak out at the high salaries paid to premiership footballers. Not really sure how much footballers in the lower leagues get but do not agree that the Premiership should be subsidising that. If the lower leagues cannot afford to pay high wages then they will have to reduce them.

It was a few years ago, but i remember the Chairman of Darlington saying that the club had 3 players on the books earning £250k a year - so, what 5 grand a week? For Darlington...

This really isn't about cutting the PL to 18 clubs, or scrapping the league cup/charity shield, or changing the relegation rules, or sending vast quantities of money to the lower leagues to bail them out of this Covid situation.

This is purely about an opportunistic attempt to scrap the current PL rules of one club one vote and replace it with a mechanism which will mean that the big 6 can do whatever they want moving forwards, including the previously muted European Super league which they haven't given up on.

The rest of this is just smoke and mirrors.

Once they have that control they can overturn all this stuff they are proposing here, they could change the PL to 10 clubs with no relegations...ever if they wanted too.

The point is, don't buy the proposals, understand what the main goal is here.

I actually tried to mean the two weakest sides and used Sheffield United and Fulham's names because so far this season, they've looked clueless.

My point was like Norwich last season and Huddersfield before that and Villa a few seasons earlier, in every season there are one or two clubs that are just making up the numbers. They're not adding anything competitively. Making the league smaller by removing two worst-performing clubs will ease fixture congestion and benefit all the remaining clubs and make the league even more competitive and enjoyable.

If Sheffield United are good enough, then they'll stay in that 18-club league. If you're not, then you'll go down. It doesn't have to happen overnight. Relegate 3 clubs, promote 2 for two consecutive seasons. I'm not saying remove two clubs randomly or two clubs that have lowest gate income or attendance. I'm just saying remove the two worst performing sides. This isn't such a radical idea either. PL went from being a 22-club league to 20-club league in the space of a single season.

There's just too many fixtures to fit the football calendar. If the proposal to scrap the League Cup and make the PL smaller came isolated, I think they'd have been welcomed. But because they came along with a lot of other financially incentivised proposals and the attempted power grab (which I don't support either), they're going to be thoroughly condemned by most people. Even the people that have been ranting about scrapping the League Cup for years won't support this project.
You still here? Banned from your own forum for using up too much of their type?

I would be fine with keeping the League cup, but make it so that the teams that qualified for Europe that previous season are not part of it.

That way we also ensure that there is at least one new team in Europe the next season in the Conference league.

The Shield I can take or leave since it is literally 1 game.
The thing about the League Cup is those in the lower divisions filed their kids in it, their Cup Final is a draw against a top PL side and hope that it's televised (they get fuck all in gate receipts home or away even against PL teams as fans just don't pay to watch). Based on how other lower division clubs approach their games, had our game against orient taken place, they would have put out a 2nd string team but would have enjoyed the TV appearance money.

I'm in no way against lower-division Clubs earning TV monies, quite the contrary but they couldn't give two shits about the actual competition and without the top 6 participating (i.e. the likelihood it's the big 6 are those in Europe anyway) then I doubt the TV companies would even be interested in buying the rights to show it and then ultimately that will after a couple of years as a dead competition anyway.

In the short term, at least, what a nice little kick in the bollocks for those USA Soccer Clubs, Liverpool and their scabby little sidekicks down the road. Scumbags who deserve a special new chant, especially because of their schemimg bribery of dear old innocent Spurs.

Manchester United and Liverpool forced into Project Big Picture climbdown

"Those behind the Big Picture Project did not see Wednesday’s developments as a defeat. Sources close to John W Henry said that the Liverpool owner felt he had got “pretty much everything we wanted” in agreeing to an urgent review of the structures of the game. “We put forward proposals and they’re now being considered”, the source said. Expectations are that the review would include the EFL and would be completed before the sale of a new round of broadcast rights. The process of putting rights out to tender for the period 2022-2025 had been expected to be before the end of this year."

So I'd expect something significant to happen in the next 10 weeks based on this timeline.

Looks like the rug has been well & truly pulled from under Rick Parry's feet.

:letmyselfout:
poorly conceived, so designed to benefit the big six, but need 14 votes. Well 6 from 20 leaves 14 ,meaning the current rules allow the not so big 14 to pass rules if they so desire, irrespective of what the big six would like.
Normally those 14 would be reluctant to confront the big six, but when you are being blatantly fucked gives you balls I guess. Only guessing but for the big six to unanimously vote their own plans down they must have ended up on the back foot . Great news in my opinion and really not smart to exclude 14 , in a 14 votes to pass democracy

Back
Top Bottom