Qarabağ FK, 1882!!!, Europa League, 17 Sept., 20:05

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They made a lot of noise though when lamela played a ball straight to the opposition!

I appreciate we are a hard crowd to please and the expectation level is sometimes too high. But I wish sections of our support would put as much energy into supporting the team as they do moaning at them!

Modern football I guess we are not that different to many other clubs

Do you think the (lack of) quality of our opposition was part of the reason the crowd was so quiet? I'm not saying that whenever we play a poor opposition, our crowd should be quiet, but I can only assume that if we were playing a more prestigious team, we would be much louder, no?

I always thought about this.
Erik is not a scorer, not a forward.
He fits playmaker but Eriksen too.
So i wonder about Eriksen playing for midfielder. He press well and know how to build up. Sometimes he looks like modric. Dier plays well at DM.
So it could be one way for our squad i think
Na, he got 10 goals in that attacking midfielder role last season, can't see why we'd change that. We also have yet to see him with N'jie and Son in the side.

So many positives from last night and hate to hark on the negatives, but after watching the game again boy was Townsend bad.

I know the opposition is terrible but out build-up was straight up sexy at times. Townsend just does not fit in. Easily the weakest link in the attack.

A lot of Qarabag's attacks started by his giveaways or mistakes.

i have to agree - surprisingly effective against Sunderland the other week for the short while he was on the pitch, but slipped back into the old rut at times yesterday night. Just before they broke on us and got the penalty Townsend had the ball in a dangerous area just outside their penalty box - at no point did he look like a man who knew what he was going to do with it and just ran into 4 defenders.

Do you think the (lack of) quality of our opposition was part of the reason the crowd was so quiet? I'm not saying that whenever we play a poor opposition, our crowd should be quiet, but I can only assume that if we were playing a more prestigious team, we would be much louder, no?

Yes I think that is a fair point, but I have been at ' big' games where only the shelf and park lane make any noise

Maybe it's me as when I was young, being able to stand on the Paxton was a religious like experience

I was at the match last night (Block 32) and completely agree about how poor the atmosphere was in the rest of ground, plus the numerous empty seats. On a much more positive note, there were some very good individual performances.

I thought Tom Carroll was excellent throughout and he won the ball back, made some very tackles etc. in centre midfield on numerous occasions. I was really impressed with 'Sonaldo' and he is absolutely lightning quick, as well as linking-up nicely with Dele Alli, who again put in an excellent performance.

Feeling much more positive about the match on Sunday now and I would hope the two victories in quick succession will boost the player's confidence. #COYS

Last edited:

They'll do better in the next EL match when we play Glztshndtkj (insert more consonants here)

I think you're onto something... it's not necessarily a modern 'phenomena' but it's all to do with expectation...

Against 'lesser' teams, the crowd (especially these days) expects to turn up, see the easy win, no stress, go home, job done.
...and let's face it, there are not gonna be many games this season that we can just 'expect' the win... The thing is, the 'bigger/better' the team, the less opposition they're gonna meet who truly scare the pants off them, and likewise, the fans expect the win more often than they don't.

Now where you start to see that manifest itself properly is in teams like Man Utd and Arse, who, more often than not, turn up expecting the win, without any help from the crowd... so you get a dead atmosphere until the first goal (of many) goes in.
But if things don't go well, and they don't win, then those that haven't taken part in the obligatory early exodus, are moaning throughout and booing at the final whistle... in fact anything but singing and generating the atmosphere that might actually help their team do better!

Why else do you think that the atmosphere at supposed 'smaller' clubs is so much better? It's because the level of expectation at winning isn't there every week... they have to generate an atmosphere to 'do their bit'.

Hate to say it, and i'm only referring slightly to the 'bad old days', but unfortunately, fear breeds atmosphere. Whether it's a smaller club generating a hostile atmosphere to help cover the fact they're already resigned to the defeat... or, like us, somewhere in the grey area abyss of the Big Club without the sustained success to back it up, see ourselves as more unbeatable than we actually are against many 'mid/lower-table teams and write them off(at our peril) without feeling the need to generate an atmosphere regardless of the opposition... but the games that we 'deem worthy' of creating an atmosphere in are usually the ones we're scared of losing the most!

The 1882 philosophy should be adopted at all games!

Last edited:
740 Lei =aprox. 75% from a medium salary (from Romania) that here is around 1.000 Lei
how much is a medium salary in England? imagine that you won aprox 75% from a medium salary from UK...it's something ,not very much,but is a good earning.
I don't know lol I live in Romania. :D

Back
Top Bottom