Qarabağ FK, 1882!!!, Europa League, 17 Sept., 20:05

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The worst thing about the match was concentration. Evidently it was just Qarabag, but they looked like they could have scored many more. Their players were just not very good. We cannot be doing this with Anderlecht or Monaco because we will be skewered. Additionally, we wasted a boatload of chances but I feel this could be improved with team chemistry.

Think we've got a good squad now that we've seen everyone play at least once. Fazio should have played over Toby. What's the point in having him otherwise? When will he start any other game?

Lloris was his usual steady self. Trippier, besides the penalty, had a very decent debut. His crosses are indeed threatening. Wimmer was really solid too, definitely why, even if I had a soft spot for Chirches, he was sourced. Rose was all over the place. He really needs to give a shit and not be arrogant. Let's not regress please Danny.

I felt the team's passing was at times pretty bad, but that is back to concentration. Everyone in attacking positions were guilty of this. Carroll hit many underhit passes but I think he will only improve with more game time. Alli was man of the match for me. Was everywhere and continued to try to make the passes and the runs. What a player we could have on our hands. Dier had probably the worst game yet as DM. Kind of overrun or pointless since I didn't see much breaking up of play and though he made surging runs, he's no AM so you know what you'll get.

The front three, finally Poch does something different, were mixed. Son poached two goals but besides running out of steam towards the end, he was another livewire. Constantly moving and trying to make things happen. Townsend had a great first half and an awful second half and Lamela had a pretty anonymous first half but grew into the match. I think there is hope for the both of them yet. They give us options, and Spurs being as one dimensional as we are in recent years, need options.

Furthermore, the exchanges between Carroll, Alli, Son, Lamela and Townsend were at times really exciting. If we stick with these players we could see something truly brilliant soon enough. Eriksen, Mason, Kane and Njie can surely slot in as well. Chadli hasn't really shown he can. Bentaleb has just been completely out of form. Dembele provides something entirely different as well.

Kane didn't score but he's working as usual. With Njie, finally we look like we have someone with pace again. Looked really promising on debut. Winks was also pretty good on his cameo. Yeah, only about 15 minutes so not as much time to make errors but looked more solid than the rest.

Was happy for Son and Lamela. Son because it's a great way to get your career started and Lamela because it's a long time coming....agree with ArtyB.....Eric never gave up.

We can't have passing like that against CP tho.

You're the biggest wanker on this website, and you've got some pretty harsh competition.

Last week you wouldn't shut up, saying the performance was shit and how we shouldn't be happy. Now you're telling us to be quiet and enjoy a win. Beyond belief, you literally never admit when you're wrong, even if it means you contradict yourself.

There is no contradiction.
This game we played well.
Against Sunderland we were atrocious.

A win is not everything to me.

ArtyB ArtyB

I still want them gone and new life bred into the running of the club. You think playing a decent (not brilliant) match against Quarabag changed that?
You think not signing a DM, and Dier limping off changed that?
You think still having to use Kane in these games changed anything about my views?
Or that applying our "policy" of pressing, equating to an absolute shit fest in defence made a difference to my opinion that Poch is just an average manager?

Two wins on the spin is nothing but good, but one was hideous, and one was unnacceptable for any other result.

all 10 matches caught on my ticket bet !!! tonight in europa league ,so:
i played these:
1) Etienne- Rosenborg GG (goal-goal) (FT: 2-2)
2) Groningen-OM 2 (FT: 0-3)
3) Rapid Wien- Villarreal GG (FT: 2-1)
4) Napoli-Bruges 1 (FT:5-0)
5) Dortmund-Krasnodar 3+ (3 goals or more) (FT:2-1)
6) Bordeaux-Liverpool GG (FT:1-1)
7) Fener-Molde 3+ (FT: 1-3!)
8) Ajax-Celtic GG (FT: 2-2)
9) Partizan- Alkmaar 1 (FT: 3-2)
10) Tottenham-Qarabag 1 (FT 3-1)

Thanks,Spurs! Lamela and Son... also ;)

You'll be able to buy Vlad Chiriches.

Not a bad performance last night overall, hopefully Dier's knock isn't too bad. Loved the cameo from Winks at the end, looked assured on the ball for a younger player. Can see why Walker has been chosen ahead of Trippier for the time being and probably why Rose has been left out for Davies. Both of those would need to up their game to get into a premier league starting XI based on last night.

Alli was brilliant, what a steal of a signing that is going to be/is already, and Son had a great game too. We played some exciting stuff so now we need to get that going in the league.

[QUOTE="sammyspurs, post: 869186, member: 1046" ] Lamela .

He played ok, 2nd half, and took his goal very well. There was no more to it than that.[/QUOTE].

What more do you need? Played well and scored.
Are you being converted with such a posative comment?

Our only problem last night was lack of concentration on the part of a few players. Whether unconsciously or not some of the players seemed to think the opposition were poorer than they really were, and those that haven't been involved much so far this season looked very rusty. It's the old Thursday night Europa league problem. I don't think we'll see this happening much in the EPL

Aston Villa last season.
The one that took the huge deflection off the wall?

Each time he steps up for one I'm hoping he's nailed the technique but it still looks very much like a work in progress.

It's a strange technique he's going for. I've only seen David Luis pull off free kicks like that. I'd like to see him try and learn the Ronaldo/Bale version. He's def got the power for it.

job done, good experience and some game time for the younger lads. Delle Alli showing that he could be awesome, Son showing that his scoring trackrecord isnt a fluke. He has that instinct.

1 loss out of the last 20 EL group games isnt too shabby either.

Last edited:
What more do I need? For 30M, I wouldnt mind a first half that was the polar opposite of his decent 2nd half
It was?

Your football compass... polar magnetic north (London)?

th

Looked good and solid at times, moved the ball well, Lamella was always going to score. It seemed he had licence to make things happen. Too many mistakes which made us look poor and suspect. Once we were 2-1 up we relaxed, confidence came to the surface and for five minutes showed brilliance, everyone wanting the ball and finding space and we looked dangerous going forward. We just need to bag this confidence for the remaining 85 minutes and we will be reap the rewards.

Reading lots of press coverage about only 9 English players played across all of Tuesday & Wednesday's Champions League games this week.

Thought for the week.......................We had 9 in our squad last night and 8 of them played (6 from our academy)!!! With the addition of rested Walker and injured Pritchard & Mason that is fucking incredible! 12 English players with an ave age of just 22yrs!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom