Questions for Levy, Poch & Hugo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thanks for the reply Spurs1882DW Spurs1882DW and for taking the time to detail all you saw and heard. Very insightful.

Out of interest what was the reaction of all 3 when asked about being 'A Kane injury away from disaster'

Thanks and yes, this was actually the very first question of the evening.

If I remember correctly, MP answered this one with a super response. He said that his style of play means the attacking players interchange positions all the time. He went on to say that there is a fluidity between the players when attacking and defending as a team.

I rated him very highly before last night, but I was even more impressed after hearing him speak. From what HL said, the players clearly have a huge amount of respect for him and that they all buy into his philosophy.

HL also indicated that the outfield players are like a pack of wolves, when it comes to doing the high press and have this overwhelming determination to get the ball within 5 seconds of losing possession.

Last edited:
Thanks and yes this was actually the very first question of the evening.

If I remember correctly, MP answered this one with a super response. He said that his style of play means the attacking players interchange positions all the time. He went on to say that there is a fluidity between the players when attacking and defending as a team.

I rated him very highly before last night, but I was even more impressed after hearing him speak. From what HL said, the players clearly have a huge amount of respoect for him and they all buy into his philosophy.

That doesn't really seem to be true when you consider that Kane plays nearly every minute of every match.

That doesn't really seem to be true when you consider that Kane plays nearly every minute of every match.

Quite possibly, and I think the point he was trying to make was that any one of the attacking players, can play in that position and that he doesn't consider any of them to be out-and-out centre forwards.

MP's English is very good, but sometimes he is a little bit difficult to understand, so I may have heard his point slightly wrong. Apologies if I did anyway.

Quite possibly, and I think the point he was trying to make was that any one of the attacking players, can play in that position and that he doesn't consider any of them to be out-and-out centre forwards.

MP's English is very good, but sometimes he is a little bit difficult to understand, so I may have heard his point slightly wrong. Apologies if I did anyway.

I think you heard him fine, he's just good at playing the internal politics with Levy.

Hopefully behind closed doors Poch is able to be truthful about the squads shortcomings.

I think you heard him fine, he's just good at playing the internal politics with Levy.

Hopefully behind closed doors Poch is able to be truthful about the squads shortcomings.

It's funny you say that, as there was clearly a really good chemistry and mutual respect between the two of them (DL & MP) and it was all very light-hearted when they were both answering supporter's questions.

I must say, that I've got a lot more respect for DL after the meeting last night and he does actually seem quite a nice guy, who clearly knows his stuff, whilst being a very astute businessman.

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a good evening and i'm glad that DL seems to have a more human touch too Spurs1882DW Spurs1882DW

MP being good at the politics is obvious but it does look like they talked about this aspect and DL + MP must have found a way to work together. Its nice to be in a positive flow and to see that the whole team seems to benefit from it, the quote about the pack of wolves is very visible on the pitch. When we lose the ball they move and fight like an unit and something i've noticed recently is that the confidence in the player next to them is there to see. No more excuse passing, no more scared tactics but fluent and constructive passing and football. Kane is the only one that seems to be a bit selfish at times but as a striker that's understandable.

Okay, I've just got home and it was an absolutely brilliant event. Virtually all of your 'sensible' questions were answered, so here goes from memory and in no particular order:

January 2016 Transfer Window
  • There are definitely funds available to strengthen the squad.
  • DL made it very clear that MP will always how the final say on which players bought or sold.
  • They will look to do business 'swiftly' (yeah right), if the right player becomes available.
  • A number of supporters stated they were worried about being one Harry Kane injury away from disaster.
New Stadium

Lots of questions about this as you can probably imagine, so I've summarised the main bits.
  • £110m has already been spent on the project so far, and the total build cost is going to be around £500m once finished.
  • Everything is being geared towards being in the fully completed stadium for the start of the 2018/19 season.
  • I'm sure we knew this already, but the new stadium will be corporately named and will definitely not be called White Hart Lane or the 'New White Hart Lane'.
  • DL said all efforts are being made to secure Wembley (at the reduced 50k capacity) for the 2017/18 season away from WHL.
  • DL said there is no intension to be away from Tottenham for more than one season.
  • DL got a round of applause and made everyone laugh, when someone suggested that we were going to share the Olympic Stadium with the Spammers. His exact words were 'do you think that pug-nosed bitch Karen Brady would agree to that?' **Edit: he may not have said 'pug-nosed' or 'bitch'
  • 1882 got a mention and DL said extensive efforts have been made in the design and choice of materials to make the atmosphere as vibrant as possible.
  • DL said he was very well aware of supporters concerns about ticket prices in the new stadium and there would a wide-range of pricing options.
1st Team
  • MP & HL both said that there is an excellent team spirit and sense of togetherness in the dressing room and that everyone was pulling in the same direction.
  • MP said that all the players understand his way of thinking and that he credits his backroom team with raising the fitness level of the whole squad.
  • As we already know, MP said he enjoys working with a mixture of experienced international's and the young players. His aim is to improve every player in the squad.
  • When drawing up a list of transfer targets at the end of last season, it was widely recognised that we needed a defensive mid-fielder. However, MP told DL and the rest of the THFC board, that he would turn Eric Dier into defensive mid-fielder, which he has definitely succeeded at, I am sure you will agree.
  • HL said the vocal support the team receives home and away is the best he has ever experienced in his footballing career.
Other
  • Surprisingly, HL said his idol or hero when he was growing-up, was Pete Sampras.
  • MP said his hero was his father when he was growing-up, but is now DL - this got a huge laugh and round of applause, as I'm sure you can imagine.
  • DL clearly stated that neither ENIC/Joe Lewis had any intention of selling the club, once the new stadium is complete and they are in it for the long-term.
  • Son is the biggest joker in the dressing room, closely followed by Kyle Walker.
Sales of Bale & Modric

This point wasn't raised by any of the supporters, but is something DL referred to when talking about keeping the best players at the club.
  • DL said something very interesting about the sales of both Luka Modric and Gareth Bale. He stated that the club did not wish to sell either player and that the final decision was made by the manager at time.
  • In LM's case and as is widely known, Chelsea made a big bid for him, but Harry convinced him to stay for one more season, before getting his dream move to Real Madrid.
  • In GB's case, AVB decided that he could not offer him what he wanted and was likely to be a disruptive influence in the dressing room, if he was made to stay.
My Observations
  • There is a real feel-good factor around every area of the club at the moment and numerous supporters said how pleased they were with the progress that is being made on and off the pitch.
  • DL is actually a much more approachable and easy-going kind of guy, than I have always thought he was. He's clearly very intelligent, astute and rightly deserves credit for how far the club has come, since ENIC took-over.
  • It was clear to me that MP and the whole club are very ambitious and positive about the future. I definitely got the impression that the new stadium is an integral part of looking beyond the top 4.
  • Finally, I really got the impression that MP is genuinely the man they wanted as manager, and that he has the complete and full backing of DL, plus the rest of the THFC board.
If I'm being totally honest, there was only one negative to report, which was a question from a female member of LGBT Spurs. She asked a completely inappropriate, confusing and seemingly politically motivated question, which neither HL or MP really understood or knew what to say in response. I didn't really get it either and it was more of a political statement rather than a question in the end.

Other than that, it was a fantastic evening and I don't think, I've ever been prouder to support our great club. The future's bright, the future's Lilywhite as they say.

COYS!!!
any pics?

Here's the link to their website, which should explain all: Welcome to the Proud Lilywhites

Don't quote me word-for-word on this, but the question or more accurately political statement, was something about the recent reports of one or more gay footballers, going public about their sexuality before the end of the season.

She then went on a rant about diversity in the workplace and if it was a Spurs player that goes public, would the other players in the dressing treat him differently or ostracised him and what sort of abuse would he be subjected to by opposition players etc. etc. I'm sure you get the gist of it.

HL was very professional and attempted to say something along the lines of that it does not matter, everyone is equal etc. but she rudely interrupted him and started ranting about something else, which was completely irrelevant. Thankfully, one of the staff took the microphone off her and we moved swiftly onto the next question.

That's the best way I can explain it anyway, but trust me when I say it was not appropriate and was delivered in such an aggressive tone.

:cunt:

I know one of their members!

Fans' Forum 3 December 2015 - News - tottenhamhotspur.com

It proved a memorable night for our members in attendance as they got the opportunity to ask their questions and offer their thoughts to our Chairman, Head Coach and Club Captain.

The event was hosted by Spurs fan and BBC Radio DJ Nihal Arthanayake and took place in the auditorium of the Tottenham University Technical College, which was delivered as part of Phase One of the Northumberland Development Project.

The facility is sponsored by the Club and located in Lilywhite House, our official offices. This allowed members to get a glimpse of construction taking place at our new stadium as the UTC overlooks the site of our new home.

A wide range of subjects were covered over the course of the hour-long Q+A and some of the best bits can be seen below from our official Twitter account
@SpursOfficial.

Keep an eye out on Spurs TV from Friday, where we will be showing highlights from the Fans' Forum.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom