Questions for Levy, Poch & Hugo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We must be watching different matches. I see Kane and the attacking mids interchanging quite a bit. Not in the way a left and right winger swap positions for large parts of a match of course, but in the way we build our attacks and how players move off the ball. Naturally that's in the eye of the beholder, and even more so to what extent it means we don't need a striker. I think we need a striker added to the squad as well.

But calling Poch a lier who dances to Levy's tune based on that, when Clinton, when coming on, quite clearly takes up Kane's position with Kane dropping into midfield, is just wrong.

Here's the link to their website, which should explain all: Welcome to the Proud Lilywhites

Don't quote me word-for-word on this, but the question or more accurately political statement, was something about the recent reports of one or more gay footballers, going public about their sexuality before the end of the season.

She then went on a rant about diversity in the workplace and if it was a Spurs player that goes public, would the other players in the dressing treat him differently or ostracised him and what sort of abuse would he be subjected to by opposition players etc. etc. I'm sure you get the gist of it.

HL was very professional and attempted to say something along the lines of that it does not matter, everyone is equal etc. but she rudely interrupted him and started ranting about something else, which was completely irrelevant. Thankfully, one of the staff took the microphone off her and we moved swiftly onto the next question.

That's probably the best way I can explain it, but trust me when I say it was not appropriate and was delivered in such an aggressive tone.
What pisses me off with this is that it's up to the player. I would not give a fuck if Harry Kane was gay. It would make no difference to me and he would get no abuse from me, either would any oppo gay player.
I hate they hypocrisy of these groups.
Especially PSG stamp out homophobia campaigns &the Man City LGBT group. Still haven't got a reply to a question I sent Canal St Blues about their views on Abu Dhabi's policies toward homosexuals -seeing as their owner is a member of the ruling family and Dep Prime Minister. I asked if they had any qualms about being owned, and benefiting enormously financially from the coffers of, a Govt/country that deports, fines and imprisons visiting homosexuals and has the fucking death penalty for it's own gay citizens.
Same laws with with Qatar; a country that has told Gays not to be openly gay if visiting for the WC, but has it's French club PSG participate in a kick homophobia out of football campaign.
I suppose the LGBT groups of both these clubs are fine with it, as long as they are winning things.

Massive campaigns for kick out racism and homophobia by UEFA and FIFA and Qatar gets a WC?
Fucking hypocrites the lot of them. If they were serious the LGBT Man City and PSG fans would be up in arms and FIFA would NOT have a WC in a country that is homophobic.

Last edited:
We must be watching different matches. I see Kane and the attacking mids interchanging quite a bit. Not in the way a left and right winger swap positions for large parts of a match of course, but in the way we build our attacks and how players move off the ball. Naturally that's in the eye of the beholder, and even more so to what extent it means we don't need a striker. I think we need a striker added to the squad as well.

But calling Poch a lier who dances to Levy's tune based on that, when Clinton, when coming on, quite clearly takes up Kane's position with Kane dropping into midfield, is just wrong.

I didn't say that. Poch, and every other professional, can toe the party line but not necessarily agree with it without being disingenuous.

And come on, Clinton is completely a completely different player to Kane, nobody in the squad swaps into Kane's place.....the only time Kane gets a rest is when the match is deemed irrelevant or already won and over.

I didn't say that. Poch, and every other professional, can toe the party line but not necessarily agree with it without being disingenuous.

And come on, Clinton is completely a completely different player to Kane, nobody in the squad swaps into Kane's place.....the only time Kane gets a rest is when the match is deemed irrelevant or already won and over.

Poch made it quite clear in the summer that he wanted a (further) striker in, so not trying to argue against that we ideally should bring one in. But I fail to see how Kane getting injured ruins the season, because of the way the squad is put together. It might be a disaster because of how good Kane is, but the drop down in quality would have been just as big if we had brought in, say, Austin or Berahino as opposed to having to play Son or Clinton up top. They are indeed very different players, but they're both well suited to what Poch asks of our front man. Hugo, Jan, Toby, Dier and Eriksen play basically every minute as well; it doesn't mean that we desperately new members for the squad in their positions.

This fixation with bringing in another out-and-out striker is brought on by a very old school way of viewing football tactics, and claiming Kane doesn't swap positions indicates not looking at what is happening "away from the ball" (or not understanding it). Kane does not play as classic 9, Poch doesn't want to sign a classic 9 and both Clinton, Son & Chadli (in a pinch) can play Poch's kind of 9. The narrative from some people, that we need to sign a striker where the main requirements seem to be that he can hold up the ball and play as a lone striker, is just plain wrong.

It can always be discussed whether Son, Clinton and Chadli are good enough, should Kane get injured. But it's hard to do when the premise, ie. what a striker should be capable of, is off.

But I fail to see how Kane getting injured ruins the season,

Again, I didn't say that.

You are purposefully avoiding my point and creating new points for me.

The fact stands that Kane plays every minute he needs to as we don't have another player capable of doing the things he does.

Trust me we can't rely on Son, Chadli, Clinton, whoever filling for at centre forward for Kane if we want to finish higher than 6th-8th.

Again, I didn't say that.

Actually, you did. In your initial post, you were replying to a fan at the event saying that we're a Kane injury away from disaster to which Poch said many attacking players interchange. You said it didn't seem to be true.

The fact stands that Kane plays every minute he needs to as we don't have another player capable of doing the things he does.

We don't have another player capable of what Hugo does and he plays every minute. That doesn't mean we're in desperate need of a backup keeper, and is in itself not an argument. And certainly does not validate, calling it a fact.

Trust me we can't rely on Son, Chadli, Clinton, whoever filling for at centre forward for Kane if we want to finish higher than 6th-8th.

Actually, you just said it again.

Oh and

My arguments are on point. You'll have to excuse for expanding a bit and not using "because it's tall, it must be a giraffe kind of logic" (your "Kane plays every minute he needs to as we don't have another player capable of doing the things he does") and a logic of trust me....based on absolutely nothing.

Oh and

My arguments are on point. You'll have to excuse for expanding a bit and not using "because it's tall, it must be a giraffe kind of logic" (your "Kane plays every minute he needs to as we don't have another player capable of doing the things he does") and a logic of trust me....based on absolutely nothing.
Who would you play as the 1 in a 4-2-3-1 if Kane was injured?

Who would you play as the 1 in a 4-2-3-1 if Kane was injured?

If, as is the case now, we have three other attacking mids in really good form, then Son all day long. Also it would demand having Alli or Mason playing one of the three, as having Son up there instead of Kane would make the runs beyond the striker all the more important. A combination of say Eriksen, Dembele and Lamela would be no good behind Son for that reason imo.

If not then Son in att mid and Clinton up top but the two interchanging for shorter or longer intervals as the game demands it.

If, as is the case now, we have three other attacking mids in really good form, then Son all day long. Also it would demand having Alli or Mason playing one of the three, as having Son up there instead of Kane would make the runs beyond the striker all the more important. A combination of say Eriksen, Dembele and Lamela would be no good behind Son for that reason imo.

If not then Son in att mid and Clinton up top but the two interchanging for shorter or longer intervals as the game demands it.
That works.

Back
Top Bottom