Racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thelonious

The Fighting Cock
Thelonious World Peace
I deleted the topic by mistake :wall:

Luis Suarez has been charged by the Football Association with racially abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra.

The FA announced the charge following a month-long investigation into the claims against Liverpool's Uruguayan striker.

An FA statement said: "The FA has today charged Liverpool's Luis Suarez following an incident that occurred during the Liverpool versus Manchester United fixture at Anfield on 15 October 2011."

It continued: "It is alleged that Suarez used abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour towards Manchester United's Patrice Evra contrary to FA rules. It is further alleged that this included a reference to the ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race of Patrice Evra."

Liverpool said Suarez will plead not guilty to the charge.

A club statement said: "The club this afternoon received notification from the Football Association of their decision to charge Luis Suarez and will take time to properly review the documentation which has been sent to us.

"We will discuss the matter fully with him when he returns from international duty, but he will plead not guilty to the charge and we expect him to request a personal hearing. Luis remains determined to clear his name of the allegation made against him by Patrice Evra. The club remain fully supportive of Luis in this matter."

Evra made his claims immediately after the October 15 match and was quoted as telling French TV station Canal Plus: "There are cameras, you can see him [Suarez] say a certain word to me at least 10 times."

Both players spoke to FA officials during the investigation and there have been suggestions that Suarez was unaware that what was acceptable in Uruguay was viewed as racist in Europe.

Suarez told Uruguayan media earlier this month: "There is no evidence I said anything racist to him. I said nothing of the sort. There were two parts of the discussion, one in Spanish, one in English. I did not insult him. It was just a way of expressing myself."

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has said football does not have a problem with racism on the field, and any incidents should be settled by a handshake.

The Football Association is probing two cases of alleged racism in England.

"There is no racism [on the field], but maybe there is a word or gesture that is not correct," Blatter told CNN. "The one affected by this should say 'this is a game' and shake hands."

The 75-year-old later said his comments had been misunderstood.

"I would like to make it very clear, I am committed to the fight against racism and any type of discrimination in football and in society," Blatter said in a statement.

"I have been personally leading this battle against racism in football, which Fifa has been fighting through campaigns such as Say No to Racism."

The Swiss added: "My comments have been misunderstood. What I wanted to express is that, as football players, during a match, you have 'battles' with your opponents, and sometimes things are done which are wrong.

"But, normally, at the end of the match, you apologise to your opponent if you had a confrontation during the match, you shake hands, and when the game is over, it is over."

In his original interview, Blatter had appeared to downplay the extent of racism in the modern game.

Asked whether he thought racism on the pitch was a problem, Blatter told CNN World Sport: "I would deny it. There is no racism.

"There is maybe one of the players towards another - he has a word or a gesture which is not the correct one.

"But the one who is affected by that, he should say 'this is a game'. We are in a game, and at the end of the game, we shake hands, and this can happen, because we have worked so hard against racism and discrimination."

Blatter's comments provoked immediate reaction, with England and Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand tweeting: "Tell me I have just read Sepp Blatter's comments on racism in football wrong....if not then I am astonished."

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 live, former Tottenham Hotspur striker Garth Crooks was equally critical of Blatter's remarks.

"Clearly Sepp Blatter is a man who's never suffered from racism," he said. "I'm shocked and somewhat dismayed."

Piara Powar, executive director of the Football Against Racism in Europe network, also condemned Blatter's comments.

"You just don't expect the world leader of football to be coming out with comments that seem ill-thought-out, [and] insensitive," he said.

"To say that something as serious as racial abuse between players can be settled with a handshake is incorrect and not the sort of thing footballers at an amateur level, at a pro level - at any level - will want to hear from football's leader."

The remarks from the Fifa president, who has led football's world governing body since 1998 and was re-elected this year, come on the same day as Liverpool striker Luis Suarez was charged by the FA for alleged racist comments towards Manchester United's Patrice Evra.

The accusation is denied by the Uruguayan and his club say he will plead not guilty to the FA charge.

England and Chelsea captain John Terry is also facing FA and police investigations following allegations that he used a racist slur towards QPR defender Anton Ferdinand in a match at Loftus Road in October. He denies the claim.

Fuuuu...%2521.jpg

Just another typical ridiculous comment made by someone who's in charge of the ever changing game with old school views. This is why football is in a rut.

I was thinking that I can't respect any player who tweets saying Blatter Out but they're not prepared to make a stand against him/racism. It's all very well Rio Ferdinand slagging off Blatter but would he boycott anything to do with FIFA?

Then you get ex-players saying how any players of colour that get abused should make a stand, yeah, just like they did back in the 70s and 80s. None of them walked off the pitch, some of these players have released autobiographies and not even named the players that racially abused them.

The amount of money that's in football, you'll never get a black footballer who would really make a stand and out players that abuse them, walk off the pitch or anything. Evra annoys me as he's falsely accused people in the past which makes life even more difficult for black players. The Suarez situation is an odd one, I put it down to a cultural thing more than Suarez being a raging racist. In some cultures, they don't mind comments like that but it's a different environment in Western Europe. As far as I'm aware, he called Evra "negrito" which I believe translates to "little black boy". Not the cleverest thing to say but perhaps back home in Uruguay he gets away with saying that kind of thing. He should really know better but if he gets a 6 match ban and JT gets fuck all then there's a serious issue there. JT should never have played for England with this hanging over him, just sends out the wrong message.

Once again, another rambling rant of me basically saying a lot but not saying anything.

Blatter is a complete tool for someone in his position should never make comments like that and to make it worse he has tried to back track about his statements!.....I personally find it amazing that in this day and age it still exists...but of course it does and racism will never go away...I find blatter's statement typical of someone from the old skool. He must resign in order for us to move forward!.....But it will probably end up in having his wrist slapped and brushed under the carpet!....Agree that JT should never have played but i fear the people in the power to make these decisions are simply not all pulling in the same direction....and its a sorry state of affairs.

On a lighter note love the new logo! :thumbup:

Sacking Blatter doesn't get rid of those opinions imo, no one kicked up this much of a stink with Dave Whelan said pretty much the same a few weeks back. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Blatter but some of the faux rage I've read in the last 24 hours is a bit much.

Kick It Out have been pretty shit in the Suarez and Terry debacle IMO, I have no idea what they actually do. They said nothing about Terry playing for England or anything about Suarez (as far as I'm aware).

Agree but i feel its a step in the right direction if Blatter went!...Its not just those comments he has been stooped in allegations of corruption and statements that are complete bollox. I have to agree though that claiming women should 'wear tighter shorts and low cut shirts... to create a more female aesthetic" is a given though : )...He also has a blatant vendetta against England! This should be the final straw but i doubt it.

Kick it out i dont know much about! Who they are funded by?....they should be bringing these issues to light!

Well thats the last time I start a thread! :harryagh:

Blatter is a complete and utter fool. But why is the bandwagon to get him out only starting to roll now, should of been done years ago.

YidoBuckler said:
Well thats the last time I start a thread! :harryagh:

Blatter is a complete and utter fool. But why is the bandwagon to get him out only starting to roll now, should of been done years ago.
sorry mate, I had a complete brainfart deleting the thread! :harrylol:

His corruption bothers me more than his comments yesterday, as I said earlier, Dave Whelan said the same shit and no one complained.

Read this regarding Rohan Rickett's racist abuse he received at POAK when Shamrock Rovers played there this month

With racism such a topical issue in football at the moment, the ever-entertaining Rohan Ricketts has revealed how he dealt with racist abuse during Shamrock Rovers’ clash with PAOK Salonika last week.

The former Spurs’ winger didn’t come off the bench in Greece, but he had to deal with plenty of abuse from the home supporters while warming up down the touchline.

With cases involving the likes of John Terry and Anton Ferdinand and Luis Suarez and Patrice Evra a topic of much conversation at the moment, it is interesting to read how Ricketts’ accounts of he dealt with abuse from the fans in a column on his website, http://www.column10.com/2011/10/ricketts-how-i-take-racism-in-my-stride/.

“Some say show racism the red card, well I like to say show racism it can’t faze you and keep it moving,” he wrote.

“It must have been after 20 minutes when I felt like taking a pee, so I got up and made my way to the changing room. I had to go down some steps to get there and a portion of the POAK fans sit directly in front of these steps.

“I expected to get a bit of flack off them but I did not expect one of them to shout out ‘NIGGA ‘! To which my reply was a thumbs up and a smile, while making my way down the stairs to the toilet. This prompted a loud roar from the fans who were sitting there.

“As I was in the changing room, I noticed a bunch of bananas sitting on the side. I thought I would take one out with me to show these fans how much of a NIGGA I really am. Damn ignorant people. Rather than reacting to their negative energy which could have caused real uproar, I converted it into a complete mockery!

“So as I came back up the stairs, I had the banana in my mouth, swinging it so they could all see. I knew this would show them that I couldn’t care less what they called me because I was more than aware and proud of what colour I am. They all reacted exactly how I predicted. With a big cheer. Heeeeeeey!

"I just laughed and raised the banana to which made them laugh and cheer even louder. Now this was not jeering or them hurling abuse, it was people laughing at what I had done to their malicious gesture.

“It was funny how this so called NIGGA had now got their full attention and I was not even playing. I had now converted them into in my role as an entertainer. Using my humorous tactic and making them laugh silenced them so they wouldn’t even think to say a word about my skin colour for the rest of the game.”

Ricketts' methods mightn't be for everyone, but it's certainly one way of sticking it to the racists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom