Racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eye3AIxWQAIg9ol

I can't see what it will change. Especially doing it for a week.
OK, do it for longer, then.

I have to admit that I have no idea how twitter/instagram, etc work, but I'm assuming that money plays a big part and the publicity that this would generate from the big clubs, and I'm including the European giants, would surely make an impact.

OK, do it for longer, then.

I have to admit that I have no idea how twitter/instagram, etc work, but I'm assuming that money plays a big part and the publicity that this would generate from the big clubs, and I'm including the European giants, would surely make an impact.
I can't really see how it is viable for a clubs to boycott social media the biggest clubs have 100's of millions of followers that they've built up for a reason and I don't see why they should lose out because a handful of those followers post childish lazy racist slurs like monkey emoji, doing it for a week just seems like a token gesture to me. Football clubs are totally insignificant against the power of Silicon Valley based social media companies anyway.

It wouldn't be if all the clubs did it,
Well put. Also, clubs donโ€™t need social media. Social media need the clubs to hook in the followers to exploit for advertising and data. Itโ€™s easy to say that itโ€™s a token gesture. So what, do we all give up and stop challenging social media giants?

I can't really see how it is viable for a clubs to boycott social media the biggest clubs have 100's of millions of followers that they've built up for a reason and I don't see why they should lose out because a handful of those followers post childish lazy racist slurs like monkey emoji, doing it for a week just seems like a token gesture to me. Football clubs are totally insignificant against the power of Silicon Valley based social media companies anyway.
The social media companies are powerful but ultimately they are still dependent on big brands ad revenue for their survival.

Let's say if most PL clubs were to boycott the platforms until they put in place measures to combat racist content, Facebook et al will soon take notice. They can delete illegal streams etc within seconds so they're clearly capable with the right commercial leverage.

I don't get why it's so easy for people to set up anonymous accounts...

As far as I can see, as SOON as I sign up or buy ANYTHING online, I'm inundated with 'you might like this' spam posts... they know EXACTLY who I am when I'm buying a fucking pair of headphones....
So why can't they locate, name & shame anyone who posts racist bile... regardless of their username being different!

No one is anonymous online, unless they choose to be racist, then they seem to be untouchable!!

Mayve if I bought a white hooded Klan mask, they'd leave me alone!

I bow to your superior knowledge on how these things work. I'm one of those dinosaurs where Twitter, etc have no impact on my life, my only contact is either through here or if one of my friends sends a particular post to me.
Surely though, the companies can act against the abusers a lot quicker than they do, if they act at all, and any pressure that the clubs could put on them should be welcomed.

No mate, that's so far from the point I THINK you're trying to make... so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...

Preferring 'Anchovies, Pepperoni, or plain Margherita' on your pizza is subjective...

"Spurs are better than Woolwich" ...THAT'S subjective....
" snow it better than Sunshine" THAT'S subjective...

But thinking someone is less of a human being because of their skin colour and deciding to abuse them because of it is NOT subjective... it's just plain wrong. And Racist.

You say: "Call me all the names under the sun. I know who I am"

well it sounds like you know EXACTLY who you are! But I ain't gonna call it... 'cos you seemingly already know!

Racism isn't subjective, it's WRONG!

...and as for it never being solved, unfortunately, that's up to mankind.... and I agree, I don't hold out much hope while people still think it's subjective to like, or not like someone of the SAME FUCKING SPECIES, who happens to be a different skin colour to you.
Don't get too into it. We all different just ride along young man

The social media companies are powerful but ultimately they are still dependent on big brands ad revenue for their survival.

Let's say if most PL clubs were to boycott the platforms until they put in place measures to combat racist content, Facebook et al will soon take notice. They can delete illegal streams etc within seconds so they're clearly capable with the right commercial leverage.
Its amazing how many people have this the wrong way round. Your spot on. If all 92 clubs left as Allerdyce suggests they (Dorsey and Zuckerberg )would certainly be forced to make some very obvious changes.

Its amazing how many people have this the wrong way round. Your spot on. If all 92 clubs left as Allerdyce suggests they (Dorsey and Zuckerberg )would certainly be forced to make some very obvious changes.
I don't know what other sports/sportsmen/women receive via Social media in terms of abuse but Football is the highest-profile sport on the Planet, if the sport actually did something pro-active for a change (like adopting this initiative simultaneously) then it wouldn'tt stop at Football, others will join in, then famous personalities etc., etc...

It's actually what I found interesting about Jordan Henderson's initiative, I've never heard of that charity before but its focus is actually on helping ordinary people (non-famous) deal with online abuse.

But hey, just like the suffragette's in the early 1900s, what they are doing is just a token gesture. Twats!

Last edited:
I don't know what other sports/sportsmen/women receive via Social media in terms of abuse but Football is the highest-profile sport on the Planet, if the sport actually did something pro-active for a change (like adopting this initiative simultaneously) then it would stop at Football, others will join in, then famous personalities etc., etc...

It's actually what I found interesting about Jordan Henderson's initiative, I've never heard of that charity before but its focus is actually on helping ordinary people (non-famous) deal with online abuse.

But hey, just like the suffragette's in the early 1900s, what they are doing is just a token gesture. Twats!
They don't think anythings wrong because they are not personally effected. Its a luxury some enjoy.

They don't think anythings wrong because they are not personally effected. Its a luxury some enjoy.
Imagine being that much of a cunt for "disagreeing" with anything thing associated with trying to tackle racist (any) form of abuse. What does that say about the person that vehemently dislikes every post associated with attempts to tackle it? We can all draw our own conclusions to that, actions always speak louder than words.

Last edited:
I don't know what other sports/sportsmen/women receive via Social media in terms of abuse but Football is the highest-profile sport on the Planet, if the sport actually did something pro-active for a change (like adopting this initiative simultaneously) then it would stop at Football, others will join in, then famous personalities etc., etc...

Egocentric much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom