Racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of the players on that list are the ones being discussed. They're also mainly white.
What does it matter if the footballers are white? I’m suggesting every footballer shuts down social media , then celebrities , if this was to happen watch how quickly they would bring in measures to stop racists on there platforms! A lot of people have social media accounts to follow celebrities, if no celebrities are on social media then how many people bother with it ?

We are gradually arriving at the decision point where we have to choose:

A) unlimited, unfettered access to all online information in all forms and everyone is free to say what they like (including in this example something like 96% of the racist comments against the players coming from outside the UK, predominantly the middle east and south asia). Accept it all, good and bad. Only outright crimes/incitement to commit crimes are banned.

B) managed, censored internet access and accountability for what you say, bit like you manage your children's access

Neither is ideal, but I lean towards A because managed media and thought historically always veers towards controlling thought.
100% A - B is basically China

We are gradually arriving at the decision point where we have to choose:

A) unlimited, unfettered access to all online information in all forms and everyone is free to say what they like (including in this example something like 96% of the racist comments against the players coming from outside the UK, predominantly the middle east and south asia). Accept it all, good and bad. Only outright crimes/incitement to commit crimes are banned.

B) managed, censored internet access and accountability for what you say, bit like you manage your children's access

Neither is ideal, but I lean towards A because managed media and thought historically always veers towards controlling thought.

In the same way as Ars.enal becomes Woolwich on here (+ other basis algorhythms); surely a filtering of something of the more obvious phrases is a long way off being a significant degree of "thought control".....?

I get your point above; and accept there's unlikely to be any absolute solution; but surely we can at the very least seek to put some form of obstacles up before descending into cries of "waaah, 1984!"...?

Isn't that how it should be while they are investigating?
You seem to be changing your tune daily though

From claiming all the abuse came from the UK to being proven only 5 of those were from Britain (out of 66 million population) to claiming the mural was a race crime to now backtracking and claiming 'we should keep an open mind'. Which one is it?

You seem to be changing your tune daily though

From claiming all the abuse came from the UK to being proven only 5 of those were from Britain (out of 66 million population) to claiming the mural was a race crime to now backtracking and claiming 'we should keep an open mind'. Which one is it?
I quoted what the police were saying. The 'open mind' quote is also from the police. I never said all the abuse was from the UK, that is a lie by you.

I've changed nothing.

Oh look.

I'll be waiting for an apology from various posters on here but won't hold my breath.

Police say vandalism on Rashford mural “not believed to be of a racial nature”

So not only is Rashford subject to unpleasant abuse (as have countless players after major tournaments) but the police then stir up unfounded racist connotations, arguably causing Rashford even greater distress. And everyone joins in for the clicks and the feelz. Sickening fake news. I've never said racism doesn't exist, only that using it when its not applicable makes the word meaningless, and gives fuel to people with extreme views.
You are wasting your breath.

This is a moral panic that's been amped up by cynical media, politicians and groups with agendas to divide people from minute one.

We've since found out that only 5 accounts linked to racist tweets are from England, and now the police have vindicated what Baz was saying about there being no evidence that the vandalism to the Rashford mural was racial in nature.
Obviously that's not me saying that any racism is a good thing, and its sad that I have to even re-iterate that point, but if I don't I'll get somebody saying "Well your just playing down the racism"

I'm not

I'm stating that 5 accounts posting racism is zero proof of any systemic problem in this country, it actually proves the exact opposite. If this was really the racist intolerant country many of you claim it is why weren't there tens of thousands of tweets attacking the lads who missed the penalties?

THINK ABOUT IT!

Baz took absolute pelters for even daring to point out the lack of evidence of racism on the Rashford mural, I wasn't convinced as even I was being gaslighted to see words that weren't there by some of you.

Now that the police have ruled it out, he was right. Maybe he's owed an apology by some on here as he was just stating facts, When you lose sight of facts and are ruled by emotion and mob mentality society unwinds and next thing you know your are marching about with lit torches and pitchforks and hunting for imaginary witches to burn.

I won't be posting any more in this thread or any of the other political threads because I just don't see the point, there is no middle ground anymore, but this needed to be said.

The fact is I said from the first minute that this was being blown out of all proportion when people were being hysterical on here and letting emotions cloud their thinking, and now in the cold light of day with the evidence we have its been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to have been a moral panic.

Peace out

In the same way as Ars.enal becomes Woolwich on here (+ other basis algorhythms); surely a filtering of something of the more obvious phrases is a long way off being a significant degree of "thought control".....?

I get your point above; and accept there's unlikely to be any absolute solution; but surely we can at the very least seek to put some form of obstacles up before descending into cries of "waaah, 1984!"...?
Yes, hence my children's access example. The issue here, is how do you police international borders on the internet. For reference,:

"More than 1.7m social media posts were analysed [after the game, directed toward the England players]...to determine racial abuse:

- Any use of a monkey or banana emoji when commenting to an England squad member
- Any racial slurs, as defined by the Southern Poverty Centre
- The word 'black' followed by a pejorative

Results:
1 India_54
2 UAE_39
3 Egypt_24
4 Iran_19
5 Saudi Arabia_16
6 Pakistan_16
7 Nigeria_15
8 Afghanistan_15
9 Iraq_14
10 Turkey_14

21 England_4

"

So what.....ban other nations from accessing 'our' version of the internet? Filter everything like the Chinese? It's really, really hard to do. All we can realistically do is prosecute Brits for breaking the law. A quick trawl through TFC would bring up charges from libel to criminal threats.

Oh look.

I'll be waiting for an apology from various posters on here but won't hold my breath.

Police say vandalism on Rashford mural “not believed to be of a racial nature”

So not only is Rashford subject to unpleasant abuse (as have countless players after major tournaments) but the police then stir up unfounded racist connotations, arguably causing Rashford even greater distress. And everyone joins in for the clicks and the feelz. Sickening fake news. I've never said racism doesn't exist, only that using it when its not applicable makes the word meaningless, and gives fuel to people with extreme views.

More fake news then

Thought so

You are wasting your breath.

This is a moral panic that's been amped up by cynical media, politicians and groups with agendas to divide people from minute one.

We've since found out that only 5 accounts linked to racist tweets are from England, and now the police have vindicated what Baz was saying about there being no evidence that the vandalism to the Rashford mural was racial in nature.
Obviously that's not me saying that any racism is a good thing, and its sad that I have to even re-iterate that point, but if I don't I'll get somebody saying "Well your just playing down the racism"

I'm not

I'm stating that 5 accounts posting racism is zero proof of any systemic problem in this country, it actually proves the exact opposite. If this was really the racist intolerant country many of you claim it is why weren't there tens of thousands of tweets attacking the lads who missed the penalties?

THINK ABOUT IT!

Baz took absolute pelters for even daring to point out the lack of evidence of racism on the Rashford mural, I wasn't convinced as even I was being gaslighted to see words that weren't there by some of you.

Now that the police have ruled it out, he was right. Maybe he's owed an apology by some on here as he was just stating facts, When you lose sight of facts and are ruled by emotion and mob mentality society unwinds and next thing you know your are marching about with lit torches and pitchforks and hunting for imaginary witches to burn.

I won't be posting any more in this thread or any of the other political threads because I just don't see the point, there is no middle ground anymore, but this needed to be said.

The fact is I said from the first minute that this was being blown out of all proportion when people were being hysterical on here and letting emotions cloud their thinking, and now in the cold light of day with the evidence we have its been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to have been a moral panic.

Peace out
We’ll see!

I quoted what the police were saying. The 'open mind' quote is also from the police. I never said all the abuse was from the UK, that is a lie by you.

I've changed nothing.
See below - few days ago

There is clearly a good deal of racism in this country.

And here are the cold hard facts.
Results:
1 India_54
2 UAE_39
3 Egypt_24
4 Iran_19
5 Saudi Arabia_16
6 Pakistan_16
7 Nigeria_15
8 Afghanistan_15
9 Iraq_14
10 Turkey_14

21 England_4

4 people. Four.

Of course there are racists in the UK just like every other country but your claim above has 0 factual proof unless you have some data you can share

Yes, hence my children's access example. The issue here, is how do you police international borders on the internet. For reference,:

"More than 1.7m social media posts were analysed [after the game, directed toward the England players]...to determine racial abuse:

- Any use of a monkey or banana emoji when commenting to an England squad member
- Any racial slurs, as defined by the Southern Poverty Centre
- The word 'black' followed by a pejorative

Results:
1 India_54
2 UAE_39
3 Egypt_24
4 Iran_19
5 Saudi Arabia_16
6 Pakistan_16
7 Nigeria_15
8 Afghanistan_15
9 Iraq_14
10 Turkey_14

21 England_4

"

So what.....ban other nations from accessing 'our' version of the internet? Filter everything like the Chinese? It's really, really hard to do. All we can realistically do is prosecute Brits for breaking the law. A quick trawl through TFC would bring up charges from libel to criminal threats.

Point taken re: global policing....

I guess this is where the app providers must step up and assert their own values (within their commercial jurisdiction) on a pan-global level....

This is a sickness of the situation to me; that Twitter & co. are able to sit back on the fence and continue to coin it in regardless. They could undoubtedly be doing more before we go about censoring the Internet itself.

Who has, ever?

But if you don't agree with every bit of racism that's pointed out to you, even if it's highly speculative or unfounded, if you dare not to jump on the bandwagon, apparently you're denying it exists anywhere. It's crazy. Utterly demented thinking. I've literally said BLM will create more division and racism, but that's apparently denying racism too, so where's the logic in any of this?

Racism is bad. Obviously. Looking for racism in everything is almost as bad imo because it fuels more disharmony. People seem to want division, certainly so on here and they almost appear to be willing there to be racism just to hold some upper hand which is appalling behaviour. It goes to the point where it's manufactured like in the case of Jusse Smollett in the states. That was even more sinister though as he did it to raise his profile which thankfully backfired.

But you won't get an apology, the goalposts will move, folk will bide some time and wait for the next thing they can fling your way. Rince. Repeat. Never any accountibility. You'll get a meme, or some other smug diversion tactic like outright ridiculous whataboutery to gloss over it all. The media jump on anything to sensationalise and ramp up this divide, and I see no difference in the race baiters on here, or elsewhere. But the media, or the police? Well they should all be trusted when it fits the narrative. The rest of the time they're systemically racist etc. Blah blah blah. It's bonkers.

The police’s word was Gospel the other day and I got abuse for pointing out that they occasionally tell lies

So is this the truth now?

Fascinating subject ‘Whataboutery’!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom