Racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is that Putin would have 'disappeared' any Russian hooligans acting up at home. They don't do squat unless they get the all-clear first and shitting on your front-door is especially stupid - as we're seeing this morning.
Many of Russia's premier hooligans were given a holiday to Crimea during the 2018 tournament so that they weren't around to cause trouble.

I knew the roots of BLM were Marxist way before any politician in the UK had even mentioned it, so that's nonsense regardless of the rebrand.

Would these players have recieved so much racism if the whole BLM was never introduced? I don't believe so personally. Anybody that thinks it's had a positive effect is in a dream world. Look at reality. Right now. It added to the racism. Sorry. How couldn't it have?
The notion that any of this has anything to do with Marxism shows a profound misunderstanding of Marxism.

Up to and including some BLM advocates, of course, but that whole angle is such a farce. Marxist Black Lives Matter presented by Nike :pochrolleyes:

The notion that any of this has anything to do with Marxism shows a profound misunderstanding of Marxism.

Up to and including some BLM advocates, of course, but that whole angle is such a farce. Marxist Black Lives Matter presented by Nike :pochrolleyes:
No. It isn't, but it's a good getout for those blaming the evil right wing for everything yet again. Yawn.

And do you believe it's made people less or more racist?

No. It isn't, but it's a good getout for those blaming the evil right wing for everything yet again. Yawn.

To be honest I don't really have the cultural knowledge to understand how BLM applies outside of an American context and I find the globalization of it a bit weird.

Regardless, the argument that victims of mistreatment brought it upon themselves by complaining about it is always a winner in any context.

To be honest I don't really have the cultural knowledge to understand how BLM applies outside of an American context and I find the globalization of it a bit weird.

Regardless, the argument that victims of mistreatment brought it upon themselves by complaining about it is always a winner in any context.
I knew you'd frame it like that. Sigh.

Has it exacerbated racial tensions or not? It's a simple question.

Not sure you can look at it in isolation. The whole brexit debate in recent years hasn't done much to bring people together either, and it can be argued that that gained real traction after the 2008 financial crash and the subsequent imposition of austerity that made people's lives harder as public spending was reduced and wages stagnated whilst the cost of living continued to rise.

Depressive economic times usually generate a rise in extreme elements and membership of far right groups usually increases as some people look for scapegoats for there own hardships. This is well documented. This also generates reaction from the left and you end up with polarized opinions, people reacting and counter reacting, not listening to each other and emotion and not reason being the driving force for debate.

Going back to your question I'm not sure people are more racist but more reactive and social media platforms give people room to vent in a way that previous generations didn't have. It's all very emotional and reactive and the polar opinions help feed this. We're going round in circles sadly as a result.

It doesn't take Karl Marx to understand that there are inherent tensions and contradictions embedded in any society and that politics construed broadly is the space in which those things are contested and by hook or by crook resolved, into new power relationships with new tensions and so on and so on.

I have an outsider's view, but it would seem that the UK has more tensions and contradictions than most, atm. Though of course all in the context of the broader crisis of the first world neoliberal order.

The same should go on here, no anonymity would see a steep change in mosts behaviour. Some would likely never post again.

It would also see something more, erhm, sinister.

I remember back in the days of web2.0. Before true SoMe. A TV feature where the state TV director, the editor of a broadsheet, an "indepentent" extremism "researcher" (yeah, Antifa) and a MEP discussed in consensus why privately run blogs and vlogs on private domains should be registred with the EU authorities or IP banned.

Bone-chilling stuff.

So no.

Anonymity on the web is already an illusion, as long as you cross law enforcement. Tor and Telegram are compromised already, and the rest of us moreso. So no, no personal ID is required. That's just a wish from other policital extremists who'd like to dox and threathen dissidents.

The left hates poor white people. Fine. That’s okay. We deal with that on a daily basis. But what left-wingers hate even MORE is a person of colour that holds conservative views. They fooking HATE that. That’s why Priti Patel gets more hate than anyone else in the Conservative party. Because it completely destroys their narrative.

Literally 3% of racist abuse at footballers originates from England

I'm not sure if it's deliberate or not, but the conversation is being framed in a very dishonest manner.

Go to any post where people post monkey emojis etc. 90% are from Indian, African or Middle Eastern accounts.

The fact of the matter is that racism is very much alive in 90% of the world. People in western Europe and the USA simply don't understand how little racism there actually is in these areas compared to the east and global south.

Which is why every white middle class initiative to staahp racism is accomplishing the complete opposite and will continue to do so.

Literally 3% of racist abuse at footballers originates from England

I'm not sure if it's deliberate or not, but the conversation is being framed in a very dishonest manner.

Go to any post where people post monkey emojis etc. 90% are from Indian, African or Middle Eastern accounts.

The fact of the matter is that racism is very much alive in 90% of the world. People in western Europe and the USA simply don't understand how little racism there actually is in these areas compared to the east and global south.

Which is why every white middle class initiative to staahp racism is accomplishing the complete opposite and will continue to do so.
Is your point that we shouldn't worry about racism in our country because its worse elsewhere?

No thanks.

Is your point that we shouldn't worry about racism in our country because its worse elsewhere?

No thanks.
No, the point is that there's this portrayal today that English people were coming out by the thousands and racially abusing the players, when this simply didn't happen.

How many racial insults were recorded at Wembley? hundreds of thousands of people, pissed as shit.

At least 90% of the abuse was from foreigners. Do you understand this? The issue should not be framed as a domestic issue when the abusers aren't even domestics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom