Racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Literally 3% of racist abuse at footballers originates from England

I'm not sure if it's deliberate or not, but the conversation is being framed in a very dishonest manner.

Go to any post where people post monkey emojis etc. 90% are from Indian, African or Middle Eastern accounts.

The fact of the matter is that racism is very much alive in 90% of the world. People in western Europe and the USA simply don't understand how little racism there actually is in these areas compared to the east and global south.

Which is why every white middle class initiative to staahp racism is accomplishing the complete opposite and will continue to do so.
This is where the translation from America kind of trips me up.

Racism sucks wherever it may exist, obviously, but "Black Lives Matter", to me, refers specifically to American police murdering young black men in totally cowardly and unjustifiable ways and a justice system that allows them to get away with it.

Check mate by misrepresenting Patel's views because you dislike her.

It's the most politically shallow and intellectually weak gotcha ever lol. It really exemplifies the degeneration of politics in England.

Disagreeing with BLM simply can't be equated to stoking the 'racist fire'.

It's also hilarious, since Patel is one of the most racially abused people in the country, how she's being blamed. Minority as long as you don't disagree with the white centre left TFC mob... Lol.

You’ve chosen the wrong hill to die on here. That’s all from me. Fucking embarrassing.

She's either ignorant of why the players take the knee to begin with or she's choosing to ignore it and blaming the general US sentiment of BLM.

I don't like nor support her. As a politician of no meaningful value in another country she means nothing to me.

You seem pretty wound up right now about this all.

Check mate by misrepresenting Patel's views because you dislike her.

It's the most politically shallow and intellectually weak gotcha ever lol. It really exemplifies the degeneration of politics in England.

It's also hilarious, since Patel is one of the most racially abused people in the country, how she's being blamed. Minority as long as you don't disagree with the white centre left TFC mob... Lol.
The problem with your argument is you ignore why the players said they were kneeling.

They were kneeling against discrimination and inequality.

So Patel wasn't disagreeing with BLM. She was disagreeing with the players saying that they thought discrimination and inequality should be addressed.

Her tweet was totally 'gesture politics' and she was rightly called out for being a massive hypocrite.

This is where the translation from America kind of trips me up.

Racism sucks wherever it may exist, obviously, but "Black Lives Matter", to me, refers specifically to American police murdering young black men in totally cowardly and unjustifiable ways and a justice system that allows them to get away with it.
Most over here see it starting from the same place and then a general stand against racism.

Some people who didn't like that stand then used the political leaning of the group as a way of justifying their distaste of an anti racism message.

A smaller group actually still believe that they are against the BLM movement.

She's either ignorant of why the players take the knee to begin with or she's choosing to ignore it and blaming the general US sentiment of BLM.
I love how you're stating this as a white guy from the US, as if you just can't imagine a world where you're wrong. The Indian woman with two foreign born parents who worked her way up to one of the highest offices in the world and suffers racial, sexist and body shaming abuse on a daily basis is OBVIOUSLY less educated on the topic than you. LMAO!

I don't like nor support her. As a politician of no meaningful value in another country she means nothing to me.

You seem pretty wound up right now about this all.
Because I actually care about the truth, rather than what's currently getting the most retweets.

You’ve chosen the wrong hill to die on here. That’s all from me. Fucking embarrassing.
Not an argument. Stop bowing down to the moral panic and political zeitgeist.

The problem with your argument is you ignore why the players said they were kneeling.

They were kneeling against discrimination and inequality.

So Patel wasn't disagreeing with BLM. She was disagreeing with the players saying that they thought discrimination and inequality should be addressed.

Her tweet was totally 'gesture politics' and she was rightly called out for being a massive hypocrite.

I guess if they were doing heil Hitlers and wearing swastikas and saying it was for peace and love it'd be all good.

Zaha agreed with Patel, as did many other black footballers - are they also massive hypocrites?

The issue isn't black and white, either you're pretending it is or you've simply not tried to read opposing opinions and parrot the lowest common denominator view ala Gary Neville

Happy to see Boris Johnson being called out for what he is, a racist hypocrite.

Even if you want to argue the point he isn't racist at the very least, he is someone who is ignorant enough and privileged enough to have no idea what racism looks like.

That might be uncomfortable for people to hear but it's the truth.

This man is the British Donald Trump and I do not mean that as a compliment.

Priti Patel is a piece of shit as well, she actively condemned the players taking the knee against racism.

Isn't it rather sad that my first thought after seeing those missed penalties last night was that they would be victims of racist abuse, it's fucking predictable at this point and it's truly pathetic and it starts AT THE TOP.

I love how you're stating this as a white guy from the US, as if you just can't imagine a world where you're wrong. The Indian woman with two foreign born parents who worked her way up to one of the highest offices in the world and suffers racial, sexist and body shaming abuse on a daily basis is OBVIOUSLY less educated on the topic than you. LMAO!
Are you trying to imply that because this woman suffers racist abuse that she can't be ignorant to other racial causes? Specifically causes in regards to a race not of her own?

And the only person around here that's having an "i'm not wrong" last stand temper tantrum is you my Scandinavian pal.

Happy to see Boris Johnson being called out for what he is, a racist hypocrite.

Even if you want to argue the point he isn't racist at the very least, he is someone who is ignorant enough and privileged enough to have no idea what racism looks like.

That might be uncomfortable for people to hear but it's the truth.

This man and is the British Donald Trump and I do not mean that as a compliment.

Priti Patel is a piece of shit as well, she actively condemned the players taking the knee against racism.

Isn't it rather sad that my first thought after seeing those missed penalties last night was that they would be victims of racist abuse, it's fucking predictable at this point and it's truly pathetic and it starts AT THE TOP.
Wow so deep

like the lowest level of opinion i've seen in a long time lol.

British Donald Trump! What's next, they're fascists too?

I don't like Boris Johnson and think he's a clown but what makes him a racist hypocrite exactly? And by the way, Patel is racially abused more than any footballer every day, yet she's the piece of shit for disagreeing with a bunch of footballers on how to combat it... lol!

Are you trying to imply that because this woman suffers racist abuse that she can't be ignorant to other racial causes? Specifically causes in regards to a race not of her own?

No, you're the one who think you know better than her despite her experiences. Why is she ignorant because she disagrees with you? just a fantastically arrogant thing to say and minimizes her experiences at the benefit of your current favored politics.
And the only person around here that's having an "i'm not wrong" last stand temper tantrum is you my Scandinavian pal.
What?

I guess if they were doing heil Hitlers and wearing swastikas and saying it was for peace and love it'd be all good.

Zaha agreed with Patel, as did many other black footballers - are they also massive hypocrites?

The issue isn't black and white, either you're pretending it is or you've simply not tried to read opposing opinions and parrot the lowest common denominator view ala Gary Neville
Your MO on here is to inject yourself into arguments with the phrase 'this isn't black or white' or 'life is grey' or some such.

This is straight forward.

Patel, in her high ranking role in government, decided to condemn the players for taking the knee and claimed fans could boo them cos it's a free country.

She refused to condemn the racists until she wanted to score some points.

No grey. She's a hypocrite.

She's ignorant because you have players taking an anti-racist stance via taking the knee and she labels it as a faux gesture. Ignorance no matter where her parents were born.

And if you can't understand that you're ignorant as well.
Even if you're right, what makes you sure you're absolutely right on the issue and Patel is wrong?

Not everyone who disagrees with you politically is ignorant.

Disagreeing with BLM isn't being pro-racism. No matter how hard you want to pretend it is.

Your MO on here is to inject yourself into arguments with the phrase 'this isn't black or white' or 'life is grey' or some such.
INJECT myself into arguments on a public forum... right.

This is straight forward.
No, it's not. if you really believe this you are either

1) uneducated
2) dishonest

pick one.

Patel, in her high ranking role in government, decided to condemn the players for taking the knee and claimed fans could boo them cos it's a free country.

She refused to condemn the racists until she wanted to score some points.

No grey. She's a hypocrite.
She didn't claim they could, she simply stated a fact. No one was booing kick it out or celebrating racism prior to BLM; disliking kneeling and accepting the very large number of implications that BLM brings with it is not the same as accepting racism. Trying to pretend as if there are only two sides here, one right and one wrong, is just false.

If Patel had said she wanted people to racially abuse the players and then turned around and said this, sure, she'd be a hypocrite.

I mean, you are aware of the fact that Patel's government is actively and strictly enforcing hate speech laws and punishing people who say racist things online severely, right?

But I guess in your world, signalling how anti racist you are by kneeling is more important than taking actual steps and improving the world.

Zaha, Patel, Sunak, Taylor, Ferdinand etc - all hypocrite racists! You're either with us, or against us. By the way, that's how extremists talk.

Wow so deep

like the lowest level of opinion i've seen in a long time lol.

British Donald Trump! What's next, they're fascists too?

I don't like Boris Johnson and think he's a clown but what makes him a racist hypocrite exactly? And by the way, Patel is racially abused more than any footballer every day, yet she's the piece of shit for disagreeing with a bunch of footballers on how to combat it... lol!

No, you're the one who think you know better than her despite her experiences. Why is she ignorant because she disagrees with you? just a fantastically arrogant thing to say and minimizes her experiences at the benefit of your current favored politics.

What?
Here's the thing, I know you are so wrapped up politically in this argument that nothing I, or anyone else, can say will change your opinion.

You likely think this is all overblown and everyone who disagrees with your opinion is some sort of social justice warrior just screaming racism because they want some of those virtue signalling points.

It's a matter of picking sides to you, every opinion that doesn't align with your political world view is wrong and the sad part is you can't look past that to see this for what it is and yet you accuse me of lacking the ability for deep thinking in a sarcastic manner.

I don't align with party politics, I call out good and bad when I see it and I vote for who I believe gives everyone a fair shot in life, parties that lead with empathy for other human beings, no matter what background they come from.

If that doesn't sit well with you then that's fine but that's who I am.

And when I say that Boris is the British Donald Trump I say that from a place of political neutrality, I don't care for identity politics, I think it's one big childish contest of egos.

But when you look at Boris Johnson from an unbiased lens, you see a man that is unfit for the job he currently holds for a multitude of reasons, lacking in manners and courtesy, someone who lies and cannot answer a question honestly if his life depended on it and has a history of questionable opinions and remarks towards race, that's what makes him a hypocrite.

Who does that sound like to you? Sounds like Donald Trump to me, is it hyperbolic to suggest that? Or is it just uncomfortable truth?

I don't like anybody being racially abused, Patel shouldn't have racism directed towards her, it's fucking disgusting, I don't care who is doing it, it's unacceptable.

But people being racist towards her doesn't mean she cannot also be racist towards others, to suggest so is ignorant.

Her disagreement on something which causes no harm to anybody and only exists to send a message of anti-racism speaks volumes does it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom