Racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I said that white guys suck at basketball, I would rightly be slammed for it.
GOAT flick

GOAT flick

Doesn't change what I said or my opinion though, does it. A film title has nothing to do with real world blanket statements on black/white people being shit at something.

That's no argument at all. Saying 'black people are shit at pens' is a racist statement, and it would be equally racist if the statement was 'white people are shit at pens'.

No debate to be had here mate.

Doesn't change what I said or my opinion though, does it. A film title has nothing to do with real world blanket statements on black/white people being shit at something.

That's no argument at all. Saying 'black people are shit at pens' is a racist statement, and it would be equally racist if the statement was 'white people are shit at pens'.

No debate to be had here. That's a fact, brosef!
Also, the point of the film is that the white guy is actually very good at basketball.

I promised myself not to check this forum after yesterday's events but couldn't help myself. Utterly utterly depressing to read through it all. As a man with black children it's difficult to truly convey how much trauma is caused by events such as yesterday, then when you come on here and see the mental gymnastics some will go to to maintain the status quo it's exhausting. Imagine if you could only divert that level of effort into actually being anti racist rather than risk causing upset by playing whatever game it is you think you are playing (be it playing devil's advocate, being anti communist, or something more sinister). Also, some of the arguments on here I can dispel from actual lived experience as a result of having a black partner and black children - few of you can possibly say the same, so maybe rather than battering away at your keyboard perhaps take some time out to consider if your efforts could actually be better served helping other people rather than yourself?

Standing Ovation Applause GIF by The Maury Show

Great post. Sorry you've had to have lived experiences of racism. It's not pleasant at all (to put it very mildly!).

I experiences racist abuse throughout my school years, which culminated in massive weight loss and many trips for counselling - experienced things from playground insults to physical violence, and even in adult years, experienced episodes such as a car driving past, some cunt yelling 'fucking paki' and lobbing a beer can at my head.

Racism is abhorrent, and must be stamped upon the moment it rears its ugly head, not brushed under the carpet or swept aside via mental gymnastics etc.

I promised myself not to check this forum after yesterday's events but couldn't help myself. Utterly utterly depressing to read through it all. As a man with black children it's difficult to truly convey how much trauma is caused by events such as yesterday, then when you come on here and see the mental gymnastics some will go to to maintain the status quo it's exhausting. Imagine if you could only divert that level of effort into actually being anti racist rather than risk causing upset by playing whatever game it is you think you are playing (be it playing devil's advocate, being anti communist, or something more sinister). Also, some of the arguments on here I can dispel from actual lived experience as a result of having a black partner and black children - few of you can possibly say the same, so maybe rather than battering away at your keyboard perhaps take some time out to consider if your efforts could actually be better served helping other people rather than yourself?
Phenomenal post.

952cb8-20130619-applause.jpg

No debate to be had here mate.
So if a movie was released tomorrow titled 'Black Men Can't Score' you'd be ok with it?

Any sort of stereotyping is wrong - that's my point really

So it would make no difference in the public perception if the vandalists were black or white? Stop point scoring.
Literally, the ONLY person I've seen who's trying to make any such distinction is YOU!

It doesn't matter what ethnicity of the perpetrator(s) are, abuse is abuse. Again, I've not seen anyone make any comment about the abuser's ethnicity both on these pages or in the Media across written, radio, TV. OTHER THAN YOU.

So if a movie was released tomorrow titled Black Men Can't Score' you'd be ok with it?
Not a great point to be honest.
If that movie was debunking a stupid myth, like the White Men one does, then obviously it would be no problem. If it was trying to reinforce an obviously nonsensical statement then the movie would never get made.

Totally agree.

What is confusing is the definition of racism. An unknown perpetrator writing fuck and shit on a Rashford poster was reported as racially aggravated vandalism. Speculative.
If Kane had missed he would have got absolute pelters from all and sundry. Nobody would have questioned whether if it was black England supporters racially abusing him.
A comedian making unfunny (but statements of fact) Tweets that the white players scored but black players missed their pens has led to him being cancelled.

By making every single thing have racial connotations has actually deflected from the real message.

Well I don't know what was written on the poster but I do know what was said on social media.

It doesn't matter what race abused the players in my mind, I don't care who the perpetrator is, racism is racism. I have seen and experienced racism from many sides of the political and social spectrum and from different races.

As far as that guy on twitter goes, that, imo, is a racist tweet.

I am all for freedom of speech and I love some edgy comedy but I don't see what he was trying to achieve with that tweet? Was it a statement? Where was the comedy? Was the comedic intent that black people can't take penalties?

I just don't see any other intent but racism with that tweet mate.

If that movie was debunking a stupid myth, like the White Men one does, then obviously it would be no problem. If it was trying to reinforce an obviously nonsensical statement then the movie would never get made.
Movie still reference a stereotype irrespective of its content - that's wrong, imv

Arc doesn't do nuance.

He's gone from calling it a ''GOAT flick'' to calling it racist in a single post.

Literally, the ONLY person I've seen who's trying to make any such distinction is YOU!

It doesn't matter what ethnicity of the perpetrator(s) are, abuse is abuse. Again, I've not seen anyone make any comment about the abuser's ethnicity both on these pages or in the Media across written, radio, TV. OTHER THAN YOU.
Would you agree that given there was no racist content in the graffiti, this is a MASSIVE overreaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom