Ray Clemence RIP

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ray was the best goal keeper at the club since Pat Jennings.
He was immense and strangely the greatest match I saw him play was against us.
It was early 70s and we got a draw at Anfield, so we got a replay at WHL. We threw everything at him and he saved it. Don't remember the exact result, but I think we lost 0-1. I went home that night and absolutely hated him.
However I was overjoyed when he signed for us and even when he let one slip through his hands against Barcelona, the crowd cheered him because he had saved us so many points. Great loss today, so soon after Martin Peters.
I still remember that match.

RIP Ray.

I was at Wembley for his debut in the 81 Charity shield against Villa, he unfortunately made a bad fumble and dropped the ball for villa to score, didn't see him make many mistakes after that though.

Wow. Quite a shock for me - he was at Spurs when I started supporting us in the mid-late 80s. Took pride of place in my Football ‘87 panini sticker album. He was also part of our coaching set up for a while. Seems too young to go but I understand his battle with prostate cancer.

RIP. Thoughts and prayers with his family.

It was early 70s and we got a draw at Anfield, so we got a replay at WHL. We threw everything at him and he saved it. Don't remember the exact result, but I think we lost 0-1. I went home that night and absolutely hated him.
However I was overjoyed when he signed for us and even when he let one slip through his hands against Barcelona, the crowd cheered him because he had saved us so many points. Great loss today, so soon after Martin Peters.
Probably this one from FA Cup

06-Mar-71F.A. Cup 654,731ALiverpoolD0-0
16-Mar-71F.A. Cup 6®56,283HLiverpoolL0-1

I am of age that I only remember him during his brief stint of co-manager in the early 90s.

As a goalkeeper in my teenage years remember watching VHS’s of him and he was one of the best ever.

RIP.

Alan Brazil paying tribute now on TS....

Not often Darren Bent's show is worth a listen, but it is right now.

My first visit to Anfield was on his first return and have to give it to them, the kop gave him an amazing welcome when he came out for the second half.
Not often you find players retaining affection like that, he was a great player and a special man.

Honestly devastated to hear about the passing of ray clemence.
I knew he had been ill, but still a big shock whenever you hear this kind of news about someone you consider to be a true spurs and football legend. My heart goes out to his family and friends.
R.I.P CLEM

I was at the 0-0 at Anfield and the return
Heighway got the goal I think from their only shot on target and we absolutely mullered them but Ray stood firm
RIP and no age to die

Prostate cancer curable if treated early enough
Get checked lads
I do every year!

Back
Top Bottom