Realistic Squad Composition

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I see a lot of posts arguing that we need to sell nearly all of our players (either as a group or individually). Admittingly, a lot of this comes after our latest loss - which is understandable as we are hurt and people look to blame people.

But realistically, we can't just sell everyone and build a new squad from scratch in one window. We also need to take into account the homegrown rules (in the PL and in Europe that are annoyingly different) and squad size.

So my question is, if you were put in charge of our transfer business in the summer what would you try and do? But trying to stay within the following rules:
  • A squad size of no more than 25 (can be less)
  • No more than 7 new signings into the club (Romero, Kulusevski and Gollini don't count towards this)
  • How many of each position we need in the squad
  • At least 8 Homegrown players by PL rules - and a plan of how to deal with Europe if we don't have 8 HG players by these rules
  • A realistic budget (we all know we're not going to spend 200 million) if you want to detail that
  • Is Conte still in charge in your scenario?
I'm interested to know what people think we should do.

This is my current thinking (but I am no where near an expert and I am not claiming this is right). This is assuming Conte stays in charge and I'm allowed to spend 50-100m + sales. I would try and fill a squad of 25 like this (all ages are as of 1st Sept 2022):

GK Lloris, Hugo (35)
GK New GK
GK Austin/Whiteman (23, HG)
CB Dier (28)
CB Romero (24)
CB New star CB
CB Davies, Ben (29, HG*)
CB Rodon (24, HG*)
CB Tanganga (23, HG)
LB New LB / Reguilon (25)
LB Sessegnon (22, HG)
RB New star RB
RB Doherty (30, HG*)
CM New star CM
CM Skipp (21, HG)
CM Bentancur (25)
CM Højbjerg (27)
CM Matar Sarr, Pape (19, U21) / New CM
AM New AM/LW/RW
AM/LW Son (30)
AM/LW Gil (21)
AM/RW Kulusevski (22)
AM/RW Bergwijn (24)
CF Kane (29, HG)
CF New CF

Loan Out: Emerson, Royal (23)
Release from loan: Gollini (27)

Sell if possible

CB Carter-Vickers (24)
CB Sanchez, (26)
CM Ndombele (25)
CM Lo Celso (26)
CM Winks (26, HG)
AM/RW Moura (30)

Others

CM White, Harvey (20, HG) - Loan, development or squad
AM Alfie Devine (18, HG) - Loan, development or squad
CF Scarlett, Dane (18, HG) - Loan, development or squad
RW Clarke, Jack (21, HG) - Sell, loan, development or squad
GK Austin/Whiteman (23, HG) - Sell or loan the one not in the squad

Why?
  • New CF is obvious.
  • As I wouldn't keep Gollini, a younger strong backup keeper who can look to challenge Lloris would be very welcome. A homegrown Austin/Whiteman is perfectly ok for me as a 3rd choice.
  • Why loan out Emerson? If we can get our money back then I'm happy to sell but I doubt we'd get close. But at 21 he's young and I'm hoping that his troubles are potentially part moving to a new country and part playing RWB. A loan at a club who plays to his strengths might raise his value (look at Gil). Plus, if Conte decided to leave and we got in a manger who doesn't play wing backs, an improved older Emerson could be useful.
  • Without Emerson and as Tanganga can't play RWB, we have a space there and getting a New star RB would greatly improve our team. Doherty would be ok as a backup and is PL HG.
  • CB: Homegrown considerations means that I'm happy for Tanganga and Rodon to be 5th/6th choice CBs. But I would like an improvement on Davies at LCB, ideally a player who is strong in the air. This leaves out Sanchez who I hope we can get a bit of value from (but no where near what we paid for him). I don't know too much about Carter-Vickers but I doubt he's at the level we want to go to even if it sounds like he's done well at Celtic.
  • CM: is one of our weakest areas imo. Getting a New star CM would massively help us. This means getting rid of Ndombele and Lo Celso after their loans finish (at all costs) and getting rid of Winks (who get too much abuse imo). Losing a HG player is not ideal but it's best for all concerned as Winks is clearly 4th choice atm and new signings would relegate him further.
  • I don't feel we hare strong enough with our options in attack so I would like us to get a new AM/LW/RW who can open up stubborn defences. I'm hoping Bryan Gil will be ready to play in England after a full pre-season with Conte. If he's not then loaning him (or even selling if we make a good profit) would be ok, I just wouldn't sell Moura. At 30 and not being in the first team, it's a decent time to sell Moura but he's perfectly fine as a squad option.
  • Of the two in purple, to keep with my rule of a maximum of 7 signings, I can only do one of these.
    • If Pape Matar Sarr is ready to be part of the squad or wouldn't benefit more from a loan, then I would keep him as a CM option and hope he can have an impact like Skip (I don't know much about Sarr apart from he was highly rated).
    • On the other hand Reguilon is someone who I really liked when he first joined but since he's had Covid he's been a little hit and miss. But I'm not sure if I had new signing bias at first or if I've got disappointed bias recently. I still have hope that there is a player in there that just needs to fully recover from long Covid (if he has that).
    • Sessegnon does seem to be improving, is still only 22 (in the summer) and has the huge advantage of being homegrown - although his injury record is concerning
    • If Sarr is ready and Reguilon can become a top 4 LB then I'd keep them both (maybe get another RB). If neither of them can do this then I would keep Reguilon and get in another CM as I think that's more pressing. If one of them can't do the above then I would look to loan (Sarr) or sell (Reguilon) and get a CM or LB in.
  • Homegrown- this squad meets the PL HG rules with 8 players. If we don't sign any HG players, we would only have 5 HG players to use in Europe with Davies, Rodon and Doherty not counting towards that.
    • If this happened, I would not include 2/3 key players (2 if Sarr is in the squad as I think he gets a pass for being under 21) in the squad for Europe if we are in the Europa or conference league. Depending how the season goes before January, I would reconsider this at that point.
    • If we somehow get into the top 4 (I would be shocked) then I would not include 2/3 fringe players - although I'd make a bigger push to try and make sure some of the players we're bringing in are European HG
I don't really know about what the players that we should sign for these positions, I don't know enough about football outside Spurs tbh.

I'm not claiming that this is right btw, I'm nowhere near knowledgeable about football as I would need to be. So feel free to tell me where you think I'm wrong and what you would do.

It's obvious what we need or have needed but there is no expectations or confidence that the club hierarchy have any ability , will , ambition to ever address our everlasting shortcomings.

Unfortunately we have bigger fish to fry .

Bin: Gollini, Sanchez, Rodon, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Winks, Sessegnon

In: Johnstone (free) Tarkowski (free) Rudiger or someone like that for LCB, Perisic (free?), Brozovic (free?), Traore/Lamptey, Phillips.

Lloris (Johnstone, Austin); LCB (Davies) Dier (Tarkowski) Romero (Tanganga); Lamptey (Doherty) Brozovic (Betencaur) Phillips (Skipp, Hojbjerg) Perisic (Reguilon); Kulusevski (Lucas) Son (Bergwijn) Kane.

3 big money signings plus some free transfers. Austin, Skipp, Tanganga and Kane is 4 club trained, Johnstone, Phillips, Tarkowski and Lamptey takes us to 8 home grown. 23 players, 2 spaces for the two best youth players. Maybe add Sarr to the squad. Bit light upfront, but we can't fix it all in one go.

we really need to sign Dean Henderson this summer before other clubs go in for him. We should not wait just because Hugo has signed a 2 year contract.

The likelihood is he will join Newcastle and we will be talking about why we didn't sign him this same time next season.

Last edited:
Couldn't this latest round of Fantasy Transfer Manager just be done in the trf thread?

Spoiler: Yes.... Very much so.

we really need to sign Dean Henderson this summer before other clubs go in for him. We should not wait just because Hugo has signed a 2 year contract.

The likelihood is he will join Newcastle and we will be talking about why we didn't sign him this same time next season.

He is mediocre.

Tarkowski and Johnson. These people actively want us relegated.
You say that, but as backup players who help the home grown quota and come on free transfers, it frees up money to spend elsewhere (and the likes of Lamptey or Phillips would probably cost 60m each, so we need to have big money spare to get these other players). I'd love us to build a back 3 of the modern day versions of Maldini, Puyol and Thuram but I don't see it happening.

I'd also love Rudiger on a free but I think he will go to a bigger club than us.

This is my current thinking (but I am no where near an expert and I am not claiming this is right). This is assuming Conte stays in charge and I'm allowed to spend 50-100m + sales. I would try and fill a squad of 25 like this (all ages are as of 1st Sept 2022):

GK Lloris, Hugo (35)
GK New GK
GK Austin/Whiteman (23, HG)
CB Dier (28)
CB Romero (24)
CB New star CB
CB Davies, Ben (29, HG*)
CB Rodon (24, HG*)
CB Tanganga (23, HG)
LB New LB / Reguilon (25)
LB Sessegnon (22, HG)
RB New star RB
RB Doherty (30, HG*)
CM New star CM
CM Skipp (21, HG)
CM Bentancur (25)
CM Højbjerg (27)
CM Matar Sarr, Pape (19, U21) / New CM
AM New AM/LW/RW
AM/LW Son (30)
AM/LW Gil (21)
AM/RW Kulusevski (22)
AM/RW Bergwijn (24)
CF Kane (29, HG)
CF New CF

Loan Out: Emerson, Royal (23)
Release from loan: Gollini (27)

Sell if possible

CB Carter-Vickers (24)
CB Sanchez, (26)
CM Ndombele (25)
CM Lo Celso (26)
CM Winks (26, HG)
AM/RW Moura (30)

Others

CM White, Harvey (20, HG) - Loan, development or squad
AM Alfie Devine (18, HG) - Loan, development or squad
CF Scarlett, Dane (18, HG) - Loan, development or squad
RW Clarke, Jack (21, HG) - Sell, loan, development or squad
GK Austin/Whiteman (23, HG) - Sell or loan the one not in the squad

Why?
  • New CF is obvious.
  • As I wouldn't keep Gollini, a younger strong backup keeper who can look to challenge Lloris would be very welcome. A homegrown Austin/Whiteman is perfectly ok for me as a 3rd choice.
  • Why loan out Emerson? If we can get our money back then I'm happy to sell but I doubt we'd get close. But at 21 he's young and I'm hoping that his troubles are potentially part moving to a new country and part playing RWB. A loan at a club who plays to his strengths might raise his value (look at Gil). Plus, if Conte decided to leave and we got in a manger who doesn't play wing backs, an improved older Emerson could be useful.
  • Without Emerson and as Tanganga can't play RWB, we have a space there and getting a New star RB would greatly improve our team. Doherty would be ok as a backup and is PL HG.
  • CB: Homegrown considerations means that I'm happy for Tanganga and Rodon to be 5th/6th choice CBs. But I would like an improvement on Davies at LCB, ideally a player who is strong in the air. This leaves out Sanchez who I hope we can get a bit of value from (but no where near what we paid for him). I don't know too much about Carter-Vickers but I doubt he's at the level we want to go to even if it sounds like he's done well at Celtic.
  • CM: is one of our weakest areas imo. Getting a New star CM would massively help us. This means getting rid of Ndombele and Lo Celso after their loans finish (at all costs) and getting rid of Winks (who get too much abuse imo). Losing a HG player is not ideal but it's best for all concerned as Winks is clearly 4th choice atm and new signings would relegate him further.
  • I don't feel we hare strong enough with our options in attack so I would like us to get a new AM/LW/RW who can open up stubborn defences. I'm hoping Bryan Gil will be ready to play in England after a full pre-season with Conte. If he's not then loaning him (or even selling if we make a good profit) would be ok, I just wouldn't sell Moura. At 30 and not being in the first team, it's a decent time to sell Moura but he's perfectly fine as a squad option.
  • Of the two in purple, to keep with my rule of a maximum of 7 signings, I can only do one of these.
    • If Pape Matar Sarr is ready to be part of the squad or wouldn't benefit more from a loan, then I would keep him as a CM option and hope he can have an impact like Skip (I don't know much about Sarr apart from he was highly rated).
    • On the other hand Reguilon is someone who I really liked when he first joined but since he's had Covid he's been a little hit and miss. But I'm not sure if I had new signing bias at first or if I've got disappointed bias recently. I still have hope that there is a player in there that just needs to fully recover from long Covid (if he has that).
    • Sessegnon does seem to be improving, is still only 22 (in the summer) and has the huge advantage of being homegrown - although his injury record is concerning
    • If Sarr is ready and Reguilon can become a top 4 LB then I'd keep them both (maybe get another RB). If neither of them can do this then I would keep Reguilon and get in another CM as I think that's more pressing. If one of them can't do the above then I would look to loan (Sarr) or sell (Reguilon) and get a CM or LB in.
  • Homegrown- this squad meets the PL HG rules with 8 players. If we don't sign any HG players, we would only have 5 HG players to use in Europe with Davies, Rodon and Doherty not counting towards that.
    • If this happened, I would not include 2/3 key players (2 if Sarr is in the squad as I think he gets a pass for being under 21) in the squad for Europe if we are in the Europa or conference league. Depending how the season goes before January, I would reconsider this at that point.
    • If we somehow get into the top 4 (I would be shocked) then I would not include 2/3 fringe players - although I'd make a bigger push to try and make sure some of the players we're bringing in are European HG
I don't really know about what the players that we should sign for these positions, I don't know enough about football outside Spurs tbh.

I'm not claiming that this is right btw, I'm nowhere near knowledgeable about football as I would need to be. So feel free to tell me where you think I'm wrong and what you would do.
Completely agree with this, although I’d argue we don’t need 5 AM/wingers for the system were playing at the moment. I’d try and find someone who can play as a winger and a striker competently as our back up to Kane.

think if Contestays there will need to be a big overhaul of the squad
Conte picks almost the same team for every game & subs wise he only trusts a group of 4-5 to bring on, that's 16 from a 24 man squad, yes we have some kids in that but just feel Cone will want 4-5 new faces in the group

Essential

* Left sided starting CB (that can head the ball)

* Starting RWB

* Proven CM

Needed

* Winger/forward type player that covers the striker and attacking wide position

* Goalkeeper

Those 5 signings of proven quality and we are going places.

Essential

* Left sided starting CB (that can head the ball)

* Starting RWB

* Proven CM

Needed

* Winger/forward type player that covers the striker and attacking wide position

* Goalkeeper

Those 5 signings of proven quality and we are going places.
The first three need to be top quality, instant first teamers

Essential:

Left Side CB
Central CB
2 starting Level MFers better than anything we currently have
1 quality forward
1 Quality RWB

Needed:

MF depth
CB depth
Attacking depth
Backup keeper- ideally young with promise and/or HG