Rebuild: who stays and who goes?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which right back we lose first will likely be down to what offers we get for them but I can't see either being here after a couple of summer windows. We can do better, can surely attract strong replacements who Poch can improve further.

I would imagine moving Aurier out is the priority. He cost us £25m, he's taking up a foreign player spot, he's always injured and he's daft as a brush. We don't need him at all.

Trips at least has a reliable delivery in the final third and he's home grown.

Probably worth starting with the current squad, based upon CL rules for Club trained (C), Other FA Affiliated Clubs (HG) and u21's :

GKs - Lloris, Gazzaniga, Vorm (out of contract)

CB's - Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth (u21 in 2019/20 for CL)

FB's - Rose (C), Davies, Aurier, Trippier (HG), Walker-Peters (C)

CM's - Wanyama, Dier, Winks (C), Sissoko, (plus Amos (C), Skipp (u21)

AM's - Eriksen, Son, Dele (HG), Moura, Lamela, N'Koudou

FWD's - Kane (C), Llorente, Janssen

Assuming Vorm leaves and with Foyth having been with Spurs for 2 years so qualifying as an u21 for 2019/20 (after that he will become an Overseas trained player), we are actually at 17 Overseas Trained players (our maximum).

We have 5 Club trained players (Kane, Rose, Winks, Walker-Peters and Amos) and players trained by other clubs affiliated with the FA (Trippier, Dele) - so space for one more, or two if Amos is loaned out.

But to create space for incoming overseas trained players, we need to assume N'Koudou and Janssen are sold.

1, We need a 3rd GK which could be either Alfie Whiteman from the academy or if another brought in preferably a Club Trained GK (eg Button) or other home grown player so as not to take an overseas trained player. That assumes Vorm's contract will not be renewed,

2. Wanyama appears to be injured beyond repair, whilst Lamela has been significantly injured for all but one of his 5 years at Spurs, so neither can be relied upon and need to leave to be replaced by players who can be relied upon to be more fit.

3. Serge Aurier has not impressed much over his 2 seasons at Spurs - time to move him on to generate fees and get in an upgrade. His RB colleague Kieran Trippier started the season well, but has looked vulnerable since against the better sides - with HG status, I'd move Aurier on before Trippier.

4. Fernando Llorente has done well in infrequent appearances, but is not able to play multiple games in a row and as his contract is up, I'd look to get in another Striker/AM rather than renewing Llorente's contract for another year.

5. Up to Poch whether he can bring through Luke Amos (sadly injured for the season very early on) and Oliver Skipp at the same time - and not forgetting Jamie Bowden who has been 19th man on a couple of occasions. It may be that Amos goes on loan whilst bringing in a more experienced CM (in effect replacing Dembele),

I don't see us bringing in more than 4-6 first team players, its just too difficult to not only identify and bring them in, but critically to also integrate them, so that's probably it !

But the big questions must be over Alderweireld, Eriksen and Vertonghen all of whose contracts have only one more year to run. With the new stadium likely to allow a much higher wage structure and Spurs being in CL finals rather than the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Manchester United, I am hoping we are able to persuade them all that Spurs is the place to be for the next few years. But if not we need to add them to the list !

OUT
I can't see Wanyama, Llorente, Janssen or Nkoudou being Tottenham players next season. I can also see one of Trippier and Aurier leaving as well. One of them plus KWP would provide good cover for a quality, shiny and new RB.

Then there's Eriksen and Alderweireld. Eriksen leaving would be shit but we'd be compensated enough to buy a quality replacement. Whereas finding a replacement as good as Alderweireld will cost a lot more than what we'd get through selling him. Toby seems keen to stay, apparently it's just his agent that's being a penis. Hopefully he'll agree to stay on for a couple more seasons. Same as Jan. Although at some point we're going to need to sign younger replacements as they are both over 30. Fingers crossed Foyth and Sanchez mature into the role.

Lamela seems to be a pretty divisive bloke on this forum! I don't think he's ever going to be the player we had hoped BUT I think he is a decent squad member as he has pace, flair and skill - however, he's also injured a lot and has the tendency to do stupid shit with the ball. I would definitely keep him though.

IN
Fuck knows. Depends on how much pocket money Levy is going to give Poch.

I'd quite like Icardi (ST), Asensio (LW), Isco (CAM), Ndombele (CM) and Cancelo (RB) 😂

It's never going to happen but it's nice to dream! Who knows, maybe Levy is going to shock us all and give Pochettino a rim job + £300m after we win the Champions League.

I would imagine moving Aurier out is the priority. He cost us £25m, he's taking up a foreign player spot, he's always injured and he's daft as a brush. We don't need him at all.

Trips at least has a reliable delivery in the final third and he's home grown.

Trippier is a fucking liability, just how do you think Ajax scored their first goal on Wednesday, Tripper waved the scorer through.

Jan 32 - Suspect he stays with us for his career.
Tripps, Rose 29 - Tripps has declined. Rose still has a few good years; great athlete.
Toby 30 - Seems inevitable he will go. My $$ is on a move to Ajax; with De Ligt coming our way.
Sissoko 30 - If we want to recoup any of the 30m, this summer may be the time to do it.
Llorente 34 - Bit part player; if we can't find a big young target man; no issue with 1 more year.
Lloris 32 - Age less a problem for keepers. Is Gaza the intended replacement?
Vorm 35 - replace with a young keeper or promote from academy.

Clearly first priority will be looking at our ageing players to determine if now is the time to 'cash in'.

If there is a major squad rebuilt; it seems sensible to move on the older players now; so the young team can grow together; building the team around Kane, Son and Alli.

Jan 32 - Suspect he stays with us for his career.
Tripps, Rose 29 - Tripps has declined. Rose still has a few good years; great athlete.
Toby 30 - Seems inevitable he will go. My $$ is on a move to Ajax; with De Ligt coming our way.
Sissoko 30 - If we want to recoup any of the 30m, this summer may be the time to do it.
Llorente 34 - Bit part player; if we can't find a big young target man; no issue with 1 more year.
Lloris 32 - Age less a problem for keepers. Is Gaza the intended replacement?
Vorm 35 - replace with a young keeper or promote from academy.

Clearly first priority will be looking at our ageing players to determine if now is the time to 'cash in'.

If there is a major squad rebuilt; it seems sensible to move on the older players now; so the young team can grow together; building the team around Kane, Son and Alli.
Continuity is important, especially if the worst case scenario happens and we lose both Alderweireld and Eriksen.

You're correct in that we need to keep Vertonghen (in an era of United extending Jones and Smalling's contracts, it would be baffling not to do the same with Jan).

I'd also apply that to Sissoko. I know this would probably be about as valuable as he's gonna get on the market, but the value of keeping him around as an option in midfield, and a popular part of the dressing room, is more important in my eyes.

lol @ some of these suggestions.

Let's get rid of POTY and the likely runner up BY CHOICE.

Clearly Vorm is going and I don't think Llorente's contract will be renewed, no matter what he's done for us. If Poch is serious about a new project, there are better Plan B's than Llorente. Janssen and GKN will also follow out the door.

Now for the "harder" part where Poch supposedly refers to (though I'm not sure I've seen any evidence) in getting rid of those who have served well but are not up for the next stage. Wanyama is frontrunner, but as he may not pass a medical, he might just be released. Tough, but what can you do?

Then fullbacks. Trippier has been terrible and I am unsure if Poch will still stick by him, but one of him and Aurier will leave and one of Rose or Davies. We need fresh blood and of the 4, all are really back up.

Lastly, of those we don't want to leave, either or both of Eriksen and Toby will go. If both do, then we'd have lost 7 of the squad and up to 9 if you include Janssen and GKN. That's plenty enough for rebuilding especially as 7 or 8 would be non-HG places.

I think that's realistic. We aren't going to sack off so many players. When it comes down to it of these 9, 2 contracts ended, 2 players who haven't really played at all, 1 whose career is pretty much over, 2 who we intend to sell and 2 who force our hand. It doesn't look that bad when you break it down.

I looked at this without naming names just on a pure "we need better" basis for the starting eleven.

GK - We don't need better

FB - We need at least one who is a step up

CB - We don't need better

DM - We need at least one who is a step up

AM - We don't need better

Strikers - We don't need better

So on that basis we are not far away from a title challenging side, four years in the CL supports that ... so I reckon we need to spend 60m each on a top fullback and a top defensive midfield player ... 120m

so that leaves replacements who's going and who replaces them ...

Vorm - out of contract no value, obvious replacement is Gazza with one of our academy stepping up to 3rd choice ... 0m

Toby
- can go for 30m, we have Foyth and Sanchez as back-ups but are they good enough? would be far better to get another year out of him but if he goes we will need a quality replacement now ... 60m minus 30m ... 30m

Jan -
he's 32 with one year left on his contract, ideally we sign him on a further year option but for sure we don't let him go now, at 33 he can leave on a free next summer ... 0m

Danny
- think it's just time to move on, he's 28 with one decent contract left in him, sell for 30m ... Davies step up and we've already added (see above) a new FB so we will just need young talent who can be groomed for down the line that could be KWP or Poch may want someone new lets go with in-house development so -30m

Llorente -
I would keep him, as third choice he does the job, with Kane, Son, Moura all in front of him he's a useful option even if not the player he was ... we have Parrot coming through needs another 12 months to see if he's good enough so keeping Llorente makes sense ... 0m

Janssen -
Gone
GKN - Gone

Overall in true Spurs fashion the in's and out's will balance up ....

I'd stick with Tripps and Serge, with a better DM in front of them they will be OK, however if Tripps chooses to go it will be for decent money which can buy a ready made replacement.

There's a few others who could go and be replaced with like for like Wanyama, Serge, Lamela all are back-up players who could be replaced in house or with 'projects' at a similar price to what we would receive selling them.

That leaves Eriksen, the big question mark, at the end of the day is it that big an issue? If he decides to stay great, if he leaves we will get 120m or something equally ridiculous ... can we replace him for that? As an individual probably not but as we've done before (and Liverpool did with Coutinho) if we spend that money wisely we can strengthen the squad and end up with 2/3 players instead of one. Our problem isn't first eleven quality it's strength in depth ... so whatever happens with Eriksen it's not the end of the world.

What's that rambling spiel telling me? That we can do the usual in and out transfers that we have done for the last decade spend net zero and stand still, but if we want to improve we need to inject 120m into the squad. Will we? guess right now only DL knows the answer to that .....

Last edited:
Jesus some of you think it’s like buying new furniture for the House.....one of the reasons (and there were a few) we didn’t sign anyone last summer was the fact we couldn’t get shot of any of the players we wanted out, and nothing says we will find it easy this time around either...the big decisions will be how big a hit we are prepared to take with some of them, or worse still terminate contracts.....I expect 6 out and 3 in at best!

Trippier is a fucking liability, just how do you think Ajax scored their first goal on Wednesday, Tripper waved the scorer through.

Trippier has had a horrible season but he’s home grown and he was cheap. Aurier has also made many horrible errors in his time with us except he cost 7 times as much as Trippier and is taking up a foreign player spot. I’m sure we will sell both for the right price but Aurier has shown nothing in his time here whereas prior to this season Trips showed he was useful.

Back
Top Bottom