Redknapp on Cahill

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Flav

The Fighting Cock
Are Redknapp's comments this morning about Spurs wanting to sign Cahill tapping up? If not, why not? He's under contract with Bolton...

He told the Sunday Mirror: "We were able to negotiate a deal with West Ham for (Scott) Parker, but we couldn't get a deal done for Cahill.

"That's not to say we won't try again in January. If the chairman can reach an agreement with Bolton I'd love to bring him here."

not sure if that's exactly tapping up tbh, he was probably asked about it.

Coyle was above board with the approaches they received (including our offer), just hoping we don't overpay on him.

Surely, even if he is asked about it, he must not confirm that a player of another club is a target...

I suppose it's obvious that he is a target after our bid... just wondering what the official line is on mentioning other club's players.

it's a bit unclear, AVB spoke about the Modric speculation on countless occasions during the summer.

I thought the tapping up was the act of approaching the player directly (as opposed to the club) while he is under contract, not merely speaking about it?

Thelonious Filth said:
it's a bit unclear, AVB spoke about the Modric speculation on countless occasions during the summer.

I thought the tapping up was the act of approaching the player directly (as opposed to the club) while he is under contract, not merely speaking about it?

That makes sense.

Agreed @ Thelonius, tapping up is flirting directly with a player and circumventing the player's club, right?

Coyle was doing his best to sell Cahill in the summer. Also, the scum upset their relations with Bolton by offering a 'paltry' amount. We made a legit offer. It didn't happen, but we didn't shore up a yacht off the coast of greater Manchester.

It's a grey area, of course, but I do perceive a difference.

In hindsight it's pretty obvious now. It's just that you hear managers complaining constantly about their own players being talked about by other managers in interviews etc.

Back
Top Bottom