Referees have Tottenham got a problem

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We seem to have refs itching to give fouls against us. First Newcastle now today. It was never a free kick and I hate to say this but spurs seem to suffer more wrong decisions. Am I mad are do we have a problem.

Well we certainly don't have a Proble as your thread title suggests.
(Ahhhh well edited)
:mourhandlaugh: :dierpochhug:

No I don't think we have a problem at at all. It's only natural to look for excuses when conceding goals but to insinuate that referees have some preset agenda against Spurs is bordering on paranoia in my opinion.
Relax my mate, we'll get our fair share of decisions I'm sure.

Ask Lamela about winning penalties :thumbup:

We seem to have refs itching to give fouls against us. First Newcastle now today. It was never a free kick and I hate to say this but spurs seem to suffer more wrong decisions. Am I mad are do we have a problem.
On that I would agree.

However, the key to me is to play to our strength and make sure that no fuck up (eg. psychedelic VAR decisions, biased refs , own goals and illegal ball bounces) can affect the final result, i.e.: don't relax and always try to score more , without taking unnecessary risks (which we don't)
I think we are heading into the right direction on that, but today proved that we need to be brutal for 90 minutes

1. Free kick being allowed to be taken 5 yards in front of where the foul took place against Everton
2. Ridiculous penalty decision against Southampton
3. Ridiculous free kick and penalty decision against Newcastle
4. Ridiculous free kick decision against West Ham

That's half of the goals we've conceded so far this season.

It's bad enough that we're awful at set pieces and 6 of the 8 goals we've conceded have come from them but when referees are actually giving teams free kicks or penalties that just shouldn't be free kicks or penalties, it's all a bit shit really.

It was a deserved free kick, the refs don't have a problem. Trying to blame this result on the refs is pretty pathetic.

I dont think its a Spurs thing ,its more of a referee thing generally, they are incompetent at best and damn lazy at worse. Referees are told NOT to guess a decision but most of them spend 90 mins doing just that,

1. Free kick being allowed to be taken 5 yards in front of where the foul took place against Everton
2. Ridiculous penalty decision against Southampton
3. Ridiculous free kick and penalty decision against Newcastle
4. Ridiculous free kick decision against West Ham

That's half of the goals we've conceded so far this season.

It's bad enough that we're awful at set pieces and 6 of the 8 goals we've conceded have come from them but when referees are actually giving teams free kicks or penalties that just shouldn't be free kicks or penalties, it's all a bit shit really.
Completely agree and I'd also like to add that today in particular I saw West Ham players manhandling us and the ref was waving it away constantly. Yes, we were going down somewhat easily, but if the same thing was happening to a Man City or Liverpool player it would be given.

Here we go again with another 'they are all out to get us' bollocks of a thread!

giphy.gif

Regardless of the result today the standard of refereeing has been awful for years but somehow seems to be getting worse despite the involvement of technology and replays. What is the solution though? VAR was brought in to help but it just means some other corrupt official makes the wrong decision instead of the one on the pitch. Is there even a single referee in the English game who you would have confidence in being at least competent? Not for me these days.

I dont think its a Spurs thing ,its more of a referee thing generally, they are incompetent at best and damn lazy at worse. Referees are told NOT to guess a decision but most of them spend 90 mins doing just that,
They are not guessing mate. They've been conned, it's deception our players do it (Kane tried it several times in this game, a couple he won and a couple he didn't).

It's part of the game, so I'm not losing my shit. It 100% wasn't a foul but it's part of the game at all levels. Loads of Spurs fans patting whoever on the head does it for us, followed up with some whimsical comments about Jose saying something, something cunts.

I am still absolutely amazed Winks hasn't just blasted that clear.

He should have blasted that ball 25 yards into the stands on the other side of the pitch.

Why he did that stupid little tap on is insane even for a player like him.

Never understand how the fact that a free kick may have been given unfairly against us is in any way connected to the reason behind us conceding a goal from it. When you think about the situation it's totally irrelevant how the set piece is awarded, the whole crux of the matter is how the team is trained to defend in such a situation.

Surely we practice giving away free kicks from every possible position on the pitch ?. So let's not moan about "It was never a foul ref" but concentrate more on "How do we stop that happening again ?"

Precisely, that was a foul if anything

Where the fk is VAR?

I don't think any ref has the balls to call foul and disallow a goal of this quality especially as it wasn't committed by the goalscorer. Think we scored a similar goal last season against Southampton when Dele cleverly obstructed their defender who was trying to close down Son.

I'm more annoyed at the initial decision by the ref to give West Ham a freekick when Aurier barely touched their guy and Wink's decision not to put his foot through the ball when it came to him.

Precisely, that was a foul if anything

Where the fk is VAR?

It's nota foul, you as a player are under no obligation to get out of another player's way. Watch many goals scored, for and against us and you'll see players basically creating space for a shot by using their bodies to block off the opposition.

Back
Top Bottom