Referees have Tottenham got a problem

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

1. Free kick being allowed to be taken 5 yards in front of where the foul took place against Everton
2. Ridiculous penalty decision against Southampton
3. Ridiculous free kick and penalty decision against Newcastle
4. Ridiculous free kick decision against West Ham

That's half of the goals we've conceded so far this season.

It's bad enough that we're awful at set pieces and 6 of the 8 goals we've conceded have come from them but when referees are actually giving teams free kicks or penalties that just shouldn't be free kicks or penalties, it's all a bit shit really.

1) agree it was further forward but wouldn't exactly say that's a ref showing he's against us.

2) that was a pen sadly under these bullshit new rules. Nothing ref can do there. That would be given anywhere.

3) free kick decision a total joke and pen decision joke as well.

4) soft but its sadly a free kick.

Why is nobody talking about the actual real decision that can actually be considered a bit biased. The ref sending Martial off and letting Lamela get away with it?

We can't defend set pieces and panic under pressure that's the issue. Hopefully our players don't share the victims mentality the fans have.

It's nota foul, you as a player are under no obligation to get out of another player's way. Watch many goals scored, for and against us and you'll see players basically creating space for a shot by using their bodies to block off the opposition.
Right on cue, I found an example.

Anyone think our third goal against Man Ure should have been struck off? No? Correct, because it's part and parcel of play. Sissoko blocked off slabhead so the ball reached Kane. Perfectly legal, like the imaginary "foul" on Winks, and one that "benefitted" us, despite not actually being a foul in the first place.

Last edited:
As I said before the main problem with their last goal had nothing to do with whether it should have been a free kick or not. If Winks had scythed down Rice with a yellow card tackle we would still have needed to defend a set piece from that area.
The problem is the manner in which the free kick was defended. It was dealt with nervously and unprofessionally considering the game was seconds from ending. Something which needs addressing or it will definitely happen again.

As I said before the main problem with their last goal had nothing to do with whether it should have been a free kick or not. If Winks had scythed down Rice with a yellow card tackle we would still have needed to defend a set piece from that area.
The problem is the manner in which the free kick was defended. It was dealt with nervously and unprofessionally considering the game was seconds from ending. Something which needs addressing or it will definitely happen again.

Still not quite "clever cunts" yet.....

[...]
It is mentally rooted in the club. When the pressure is on, the team collectively shits the bed.

Expectations went up so much after Man U because we had very winnable games coming up and the champions were faltering.

Spurs failing to take their chance yet again and again and again.

First team to fuck up a 3 goal lead in the last ten minutes.

It was a deserved free kick, the refs don't have a problem. Trying to blame this result on the refs is pretty pathetic.
What did Aurrier do?

He didn't tackle, he didn't do anything.
I was spitting venom before they scored. I'm shocked no one was talking about how it wasn't a free kick.

It is mentally rooted in the club. When the pressure is on, the team collectively shits the bed.

Expectations went up so much after Man U because we had very winnable games coming up and the champions were faltering.

Spurs failing to take their chance yet again and again and again.

First team to fuck up a 3 goal lead in the last ten minutes.

Said in another thread, but this is very much the crux of Jose's job here.

It's amazing how not matter the manager, no matter the game, no matter the players, we always have that in us.
Whilst Kane looked to be trying to hold the ball in the opposition half at times towards the end, other players looked like they were still trying to score. Even Bale lost the ball and put us under at one point when there was no need. Just take it up the other end and keep it there.

What did Aurrier do?

I was spitting venom before they scored. I'm shocked no one was talking about how it wasn't a free kick.
It looked to me that the Spam player ran into the back of Aurier and in doing so tripped over his (Aurier) leg.
Was never a free kick.

Never understand how the fact that a free kick may have been given unfairly against us is in any way connected to the reason behind us conceding a goal from it. When you think about the situation it's totally irrelevant how the set piece is awarded, the whole crux of the matter is how the team is trained to defend in such a situation.

Surely we practice giving away free kicks from every possible position on the pitch ?. So let's not moan about "It was never a foul ref" but concentrate more on "How do we stop that happening again ?"
Sorry, but I can't agree with this. It's not possible to defend 100% of FKs no matter how you set up or train, there are just as many ways to outsmart you. Giving a team the FK gives them more of a chance than they would have had from open play, simple as that.

Important: I'm not saying the goals are always due to their practicing FKs, but the general chaos around our goal works in their favour. We can be smarter, but we can't be perfect and that's why it's unfair, since they get the benefit of that gap.

It's nota foul, you as a player are under no obligation to get out of another player's way. Watch many goals scored, for and against us and you'll see players basically creating space for a shot by using their bodies to block off the opposition.
I haven't seen the video (it's blocked), but if the player blocks off Wink's run and makes no attempt to get the ball, that is literally obstruction and is therefore a foul.

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. It's not possible to defend 100% of FKs no matter how you set up or train, there are just as many ways to outsmart you. Giving a team the FK gives them more of a chance than they would have had from open play, simple as that.

Important: I'm not saying the goals are always due to their practicing FKs, but the general chaos around our goal works in their favour. We can be smarter, but we can't be perfect and that's why it's unfair, since they get the benefit of that gap.
Don't apologise for disagreeing mate. This is a forum and if we all felt the same way about things it would be a pretty boring place. I wasn't saying we could successfully defend 100% of the free kicks given against us, I was just trying to divert the blame for conceding from a bad decision by the referee to where it truly lay which was bad defending on our part.
:dierpochhug:

What did Aurrier do?

He puts his leg out which the West Ham player may or may not have tripped over. He easily could have just held back and let the ball go out but he rarely makes the right play in those situations. Those kind of fouls are given all the time.

The actual biggest error he made was his heavy touch and getting caught from behind before that. He should have cleared the ball so that he didn't even have to be in that position at all.

He puts his leg out which the West Ham player may or may not have tripped over. He easily could have just held back and let the ball go out but he rarely makes the right play in those situations. Those kind of fouls are given all the time.

The actual biggest error he made was his heavy touch and getting caught from behind before that. He should have cleared the ball so that he didn't even have to be in that position at all.
I can't even find a clip of it because it's been totally ignored by everyone.
I watched it twice at the time and thought we'd have been stealing a free kick if it was the other way round.

id love to se a clip of the actual foul again because at the time it just didnt seem a free kick
I know if that was a goal against Liverpool or City, it would be under the microscope.
The one that led to the penalty Newcastle got barely got more attention was fucking comical.

I'd actually like to see Mourinho making more of a point of these. Make the media and the refs aware that these weak ass free kicks are getting given and because they're outside the box, they're not being checked.
All the highlights from yesterday on youtube just show Sanchez' OG then straight to the free kick. No showing of the phantom foul.

As soon as it was given I yelled at the TV "thats the shitty free kick that ends up in a goal"

Lo and behold.

Found it on another thread.
Aurrier has the ball, takes a touch and it slightly gets away from him, he is unaware of the WHU player who is about to throw himself between Aurrier and the ball.
Aurrier doesn'tk now hes there. Doesn't make a tackle. Is technically the one in posession.

Dreadful free kick. The WHU player looks like he was expecting to concede the free kick and Aurrier thinks he should have been booked.

I can't even find a clip of it because it's been totally ignored by everyone.
I watched it twice at the time and thought we'd have been stealing a free kick if it was the other way round.

Its a play that is called a foul often and it normally ignored but it leads to nothing. People are angry at the loss and are going to look for blame outside of the team.

But the real focus should be on the whole play, as I mentioned earlier the problem was Aurier being careless with the ball in the first place, that is where the criticism should be. He then follows that up by being too aggressive when he could have just watched the ball go out, whether it is a foul or not there is zero reason to even go into that position to give the ref/WH player a chance to even call a foul there.

Then the team, Winks especially, played the free kick terribly.

Trying to focus on whether it was a free kick or not is so pointless and ignores the actual problems and terrible plays we made.

Found it on another thread.
Aurrier has the ball, takes a touch and it slightly gets away from him, he is unaware of the WHU player who is about to throw himself between Aurrier and the ball.
Aurrier doesn'tk now hes there. Doesn't make a tackle. Is technically the one in posession.

Dreadful free kick. The WHU player looks like he was expecting to concede the free kick and Aurrier thinks he should have been booked.

Look at either Holjbjerg or Reguillons reaction at 6 seconds on the left hand side when Aurier conceded the free kick.......

Back
Top Bottom