Referees have Tottenham got a problem

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its a play that is called a foul often and it normally ignored but it leads to nothing. People are angry at the loss and are going to look for blame outside of the team.

But the real focus should be on the whole play, as I mentioned earlier the problem was Aurier being careless with the ball in the first place, that is where the criticism should be. He then follows that up by being too aggressive when he could have just watched the ball go out, whether it is a foul or not there is zero reason to even go into that position to give the ref/WH player a chance to even call a foul there.

Then the team, Winks especially, played the free kick terribly.

Trying to focus on whether it was a free kick or not is so pointless and ignores the actual problems and terrible plays we made.

I'm not disputing the subsequent free kick should have been defended better.
This thread is about whether or not we're getting soft free kicks given against us.
This was the epitome of a soft free kick. Last season we had around 5-6 consecutive games where opposition players could well have seen red and nothing was given. This has carried on into this season in a different form.
Watch that incident in slow motion and you'll see not only does the WHU player obscruct Aurrier, who is in posession, but he also pulls Aurriers should back then puts his entire arm across Aurrier's neck/throat.

I'm not disputing the subsequent free kick should have been defended better.
This thread is about whether or not we're getting soft free kicks given against us.
This was the epitome of a soft free kick. Last season we had around 5-6 consecutive games where opposition players could well have seen red and nothing was given. This has carried on into this season in a different form.
Watch that incident in slow motion and you'll see not only does the WHU player obscruct Aurrier, who is in posession, but he also pulls Aurriers should back then puts his entire arm across Aurrier's neck/throat.

Those calls go for us as well.

We do not get anymore or less than the average team going against us, there is no ref conspiracy against us, any notion of that is moronic.

I have watched the incident enough, the same call is made plenty of times for and against all teams.

Those calls go for us as well.

We do not get anymore or less than the average team going against us, there is no ref conspiracy against us, any notion of that is moronic.

I have watched the incident enough, the same call is made plenty of times for and against all teams.

I'm not convinced.
We all watched in astonishment last season how Liverpool got every benefit of everyt doubt all season long.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced.
We all watched in astonishment last season how Liverpool got every benefit of everyt dount all season long.

That is about Liverpool not us.

There is zero evidence or even reason to think that the refs treat us differently from other teams or that the foul call yesterday had anything to do with the ref having a bias or agenda against us.

Ok, I can't mind read referees.
I can see we get no "luck" however.

I guess the closest we have come to "luck" is Lamela only getting a yellow for his part in the Martial red card.

Back to last season, 0-1 loss at home to Newcastle. Kane gets into the box, Newcastle player throws himself on the floor in front of Kanes legs and feet. No penalty even after the VAR check which made it look even more like a penalty.
Shit like that has been going on as far as I can see for 2-3 seasons.

Tonight the Brighton game I have to say that was the worse ref performance i have ever seen ever at the lane. To review then ignore the video evidence is beyond madness should be banned from top level our penalty itself was dubious

I called the ref corrupt, which probably (and hopefully) is not true, but I think that more or less consciously in his mind he thought " It's Spurs, not the dippers of Manu. VAR gave them a penalty already and I cannot help them any further"
Or maybe even more like " If I disallow the goal, I will get a lot aggro from all across the board after the game, whereas if I disallow it, it will get it only from Spurs"

Officials in top level sport should have their bank accounts monitored for strange activity.
Normally I would say oh shut up that you you being biased but when even iAn Wright is saying its one of the worse refereeing decisions he has ever seen and the ref had the chance to reverse it. It makes you wonder. The ref needs a ban for incompetence

The thing is, even if he thought that the fella got a slight touch on the ball, technically it was still a foul.
His foot went over the ball, his studs were up and he wasn't in control of his body.

Yeah - I said in the OMT that the referee KNEW he made a mistake leading to the goal but after watching it numerous times, didn't want to be embarrassed by the decision and stuck with it.

You could probably ask him off camera and he'll know he was wrong. Woeful decision. But he was poor all night. The yellow on Reguilon was just as bad.

I know if that was a goal against Liverpool or City, it would be under the microscope.
The one that led to the penalty Newcastle got barely got more attention was fucking comical.

I'd actually like to see Mourinho making more of a point of these. Make the media and the refs aware that these weak ass free kicks are getting given and because they're outside the box, they're not being checked.
All the highlights from yesterday on youtube just show Sanchez' OG then straight to the free kick. No showing of the phantom foul.

As soon as it was given I yelled at the TV "thats the shitty free kick that ends up in a goal"

Lo and behold.
I know we've moved on, but WHU have relied on players going over for free kicks around the box, and getting corners for years. Look how many times that lump Antonio goes over, at the slightest of touches. We should've put them to the sword, instead of easing off at 3-0.

Back
Top Bottom