Regression back to your Spurs childhood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Does any of us of a certain age find themselves behaving like a kid again when it comes to Spurs.? I went for years without wearing colours,expect a small badge. Now I have polo shirts for every day of the week,should I choose and several retro kit tops.
My mate has just bought a pair of spurs trainers from the shop..
Doesn't seem so long ago he was tearing all over the country having "friendly chats" with opposing supporters. Now he is acting like an 8year me.
Discuss

Last edited:
39cmlm.jpg

I have four of these 'retro' shirts (two short sleeved/two long). Bought from the Spurs shop they are superb quality and everyone asks what the badge logo is on the pocket.
Great to iron too (apparently ;) ).
Wearing one now ready for the Saturday pub visit and 3pm kick off match :thumbup:

Goes in cycles for me.
Never used to wear colours when I first started going. When I left school that all changed, as it did for my fellow match day mates. We all went Colours mad.
After getting ambushed by 3 brave icf trainees in 86, I decided to go low key once more. That lasted until my first child was born in 92. Since then I've pretty much been shameless about All stuff Spurs.
Made a point about wearing Merch the day after defeats in the 90s, as a kind of dirty protest.
These days it's more smart casual, although I have been known to wear my old retro kit tops up the pub if a game is on.

With me it’s the old “am I to old for football merchandise” situation especially the kit! Though I buy it every season I’m perhaps not getting value for money in terms of usage. Polo shirts and track tops etc do get worn regular for two reasons the obvious I’m a yid and proud of it and makes a change from City & Chav tops worn by little ladddies or Utd & Dipper tops worn buy middle age blokes with beer bellies.

Strangely I never wear more than a small badge to matches which is a throw back to away days in the 70s and 80s but had loads of casual items that I used to wear during the rest of the week.

Although as they have worn out/been thrown out I haven't bothered replacing them.

Strangely I never wear more than a small badge to matches which is a throw back to away days in the 70s and 80s but had loads of casual items that I used to wear during the rest of the week.

Although as they have worn out/been thrown out I haven't bothered replacing them.
Navy Blue and/or white for match days but only casual clothes, even my suits are navy and I wear a white shirt blue tie. And if I'm wearing a coat I too will go for a Spurs pin, I like the silver ones they have in the shop, really plan, just a cockerel on a ball.

I don't know if it's sad or not but if I look at my entire wardrobe it's practically all navy blue and white!!

But I don't feel comfortable in merch, apart from a pair of Spurs track bottoms for slouching about on a Sunday morning I've never owned any since I was a kid.

Navy Blue and/or white for match days but only casual clothes, even my suits are navy and I wear a white shirt blue tie. And if I'm wearing a coat I too will go for a Spurs pin, I like the silver ones they have in the shop, really plan, just a cockerel on a ball.

I don't know if it's sad or not but if I look at my entire wardrobe it's practically all navy blue and white!!

But I don't feel comfortable in merch, apart from a pair of Spurs track bottoms for slouching about on a Sunday morning I've never owned any since I was a kid.
I’m quite similar. Navy blue and white are also quite flattering for the older gentleman. But I do buy the odd replica mainly for running in. CL final I wore my 1991 home shirt and 1984 track jacket. But most games it’s just general navy clothing and a simple bar scarf.

Bought my first shirt in years at the Newcastle game. Wife hates them... don’t blame her, will wear it around the house on match days and when working from home. Might wear it to a few games... we’ll see. Have a plain silver badge that I sometimes wear when appropriate...

I just have a scarf but my son wears my signed shirt from when I was a kid (Hoddle, Ossie etc).

Back then in the early 80s I remember painting my red grifter white with radiator paint in honour of the club. Looked absolutely shit, peeled like an onion and got nicked in Downhills Park. While I still very much feel like an 8 year old, I think my wife would cook my bollocks if I tried to spray paint her Kia Rio white and blue.

Does any of us of a certain age find themselves behaving like a kid again when it comes to Spurs.? I went for years without wearing colours,expect a small badge. Now I have polo shirts for every day of the week,should I choose and several retro kit tops.
My mate has just bought a pair of spurs trainers from the shop..
Doesn't seem so long ago he was tearing all over the country having "friendly chats" with opposing supporters. Now he is acting like an 8year me.
Discuss
Fans of a certain disposition today absolutely abhor the idea of an adult wearing club colours be it a replica shirt or a hat and scarf in winter when it’s cold. I think I understand the mindset going on there but I don’t actually agree with it. Whosoever chooses to wear the colours shouldn’t be criticised for doing so IMO; and at the same time those that choose not to shouldn’t be tarred as obvious hooligans.

But to answer your question: When I was a younger teenager ... walking from seven sisters to the lane was an expedition - we never took the bus. I loved the feel of football - the dodgy hamburger stands and the stalls selling hats scarfs and badges -the back then occasional punch up - it’s how it was: we had no money to buy the colours - we usually jibbed the train to get south to north and held on to our pennies to get in the boys entrance of the shelf; but I always wanted the current hat or scarf of the day. The first time I actually got myself a scarf and hat it was a discarded one after the 1982 FA cup final 1:1 v QPR.

My experience with the colours thereafter was that they make you a target for a right hander from some wanker so for decades Id never wear them but today I occasionally wear the 1967 away shirt or the 1978 home shirt but Id never buy any of the new stuff!

Im toying with the idea of a pin badge but Im yet to see one that i like.

In my younger days, don't remember replica shirts being available (maybe they were but too expensive for my pocket).
I used to tie a silk scarf (white with navy cockerels) around my wrist and wear a Rubettes hat.
First time I bought a replica shirt was for the '81 cup final (up in the loft with all my other replica shirts I can't get into anymore!).
Now, I tend to buy an away shirt to wear to matches and I have a few tee shirts that I wear to zumba. I have flip flops that I use for the gym pool and at work, I have a Spurs lanyard with Spurs badges. To finish off my ensemble, I have white and navy plastic bracelets which I wear alternately, depending on my mood.
There's no doubting who I support!

Only wear retro shirts these days. You just can't beat the classic kit of the early mid-70's.
As per Mrs Perryman, used to wear the scarf round the wrist.
Although that reminds me of the time I was walking back home up Creighton Road after a game and these two Spurs fans pulled up alongside me, decided to put half my scarf inside their car and pull up the window.
Spent the next 200 metres or so running like a maniac, much to their amusement. 😬

Only wear retro shirts these days. You just can't beat the classic kit of the early mid-70's.
As per Mrs Perryman, used to wear the scarf round the wrist.
Although that reminds me of the time I was walking back home up Creighton Road after a game and these two Spurs fans pulled up alongside me, decided to put half my scarf inside their car and pull up the window.
Spent the next 200 metres or so running like a maniac, much to their amusement. 😬

I’ve never seen an early to mid 1970s retro available. 1950’s yes - but not my era, 1960’s I’ve got a couple and 1978 home and away - I have both. I’d like the plain yellow 1975 away shirt but nobody does that retro period. I think THFC are missing out on an obvious market - oldens that want the shirts of their youth rather than today’s utter garbage!

I haven't bought any shirts since the first Under Armour shirt, I just grew out of buying and wearing football shirts. I also don't play football anymore so have no reason to buy any. I am tempted by the new third shirt though and am also tempted by the yellow Hummel retro away shirt.

I've got half a dozen or so of the nike pre-match t-shirts which i wear for running, also have the wind cheater and also the hoody again to wear for running.

Wouldnt wear them to football mind - although did wear one to the final screening.

Prior to that i'd boycotted nike for being woolwich.... Sad man that i am.

I've got half a dozen or so of the nike pre-match t-shirts which i wear for running, also have the wind cheater and also the hoody again to wear for running.

Wouldnt wear them to football mind - although did wear one to the final screening.

Prior to that i'd boycotted nike for being woolwich.... Sad man that i am.
I did that as well.It was the "quickest way to europe" advert in the daily press when scumbag left , that was the final straw for me.

I’ve never seen an early to mid 1970s retro available. 1950’s yes - but not my era, 1960’s I’ve got a couple and 1978 home and away - I have both. I’d like the plain yellow 1975 away shirt but nobody does that retro period. I think THFC are missing out on an obvious market - oldens that want the shirts of their youth rather than today’s utter garbage!
These sites have 60/70's retro gear.
www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/teams/t/tottenham-hotspur/old-tottenham-hotspur-football-shirts-t18.html
www.toffs.com/shop-by-team/football/premier-league/tottenham-hotspur?limit=30&p=2

I’m not sure what year the advertising was first put on the shirt; I think it was Holsten. I know advertising generates money but I think it also destroys the shirt so I’d never buy a shirt with advertising on it.

With the exception of the eras I spoke about earlier it’s the same retro shirts again ad again. The away shirt Hoddle made his debut in away at toke city is the one I’ve never see on offer. It’s plain yellow with I think blue cuffs and neck collar.... for some reason no one supplies it.

Back
Top Bottom