Regression back to your Spurs childhood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m not sure what year the advertising was first put on the shirt; I think it was Holsten. I know advertising generates money but I think it also destroys the shirt so I’d never buy a shirt with advertising on it.

With the exception of the eras I spoke about earlier it’s the same retro shirts again ad again. The away shirt Hoddle made his debut in away at toke city is the one I’ve never see on offer. It’s plain yellow with I think blue cuffs and neck collar.... for some reason no one supplies it.

75-77?
Toffs do it.Though in short sleeves it looks like a polo shirt these days.

I know this is gonna sound biased, but for those of us 'of a certain vintage' shall we say... the shirts of our childhood are ICONIC!!
my first shirt was the 1978 Admiral number, followed shortly by the Le Coq Sportif beauties of the early '80s... I kinda peaked there!!
So of COURSE we're gonna want to revisit those days and still look stylish!

I pity later generations who will only ever have misty-eyed, rose-tinted memories of late 90's chevrons and Zig-Zags and Millenial RED sponsors logos!! That's not a childhood memory, THIS IS:
57334d9c713992473cbb94beb8ba75be.jpg

1982-03-13-tottenham-spursteampic-1264.jpg

I know this is gonna sound biased, but for those of us 'of a certain vintage' shall we say... the shirts of our childhood are ICONIC!!
my first shirt was the 1978 Admiral number, followed shortly by the Le Coq Sportif beauties of the early '80s... I kinda peaked there!!

I pity later generations who will only ever have misty-eyed, rose-tinted memories of late 90's chevrons and Zig-Zags and Millenial RED sponsors logos!! That's not a childhood memory, THIS IS:

The fact we kept the kit for a few season helps as well.
The classic 70s home shirt we had from the mid 60s and only changed it to a nylon version and molded plastic cockerel in 75(i think).So we had the same shirt for 10 years.The one in your photo ,3 years. That's what makes kits classic and iconic ,along with childhood/youth memories imho.
That said,when i see the couple of home shirts we have had with yellow in them, i am glad we only had them for a season.

Agree totally; the 1950’s period is before my time but my little niece looks great in an iconic 50’s home shirt. Plain white home shirt and, blue with white trim (away)of the late 60’s early 70’s definitely still wearable today. I think I’m of your camp late 70’s early 1980’s are the true iconic shirts.

The yellow with blue trim of the 1982 FA cup final ( cotton not nylon), is the last of the icons for me as Liverpool’s success with brand HITACHI soon had every club undermining the integrity of their shirts.

The Double side kit was truly iconic but as I didn't even know what football was then, I wouldn't feel right wearing it. The 67 cup winning team kit was the first I was aware of, and it was still around when Mr P made his debut. Classic, plain and oh so classy, my favourite kit of all time.

This would be the shirt for me
Simply because this was about the time when I started growing up to be a supporter and it marks such a special moment in our history...the only thing is there is a number 8 on the back and I just wanted it plain. I checked with the shop and they said unfortunately they didn't supply such an item....gutted.

Last edited:
Only wear retro shirts these days. You just can't beat the classic kit of the early mid-70's.
As per Mrs Perryman, used to wear the scarf round the wrist.
Although that reminds me of the time I was walking back home up Creighton Road after a game and these two Spurs fans pulled up alongside me, decided to put half my scarf inside their car and pull up the window.
Spent the next 200 metres or so running like a maniac, much to their amusement. 😬
Was it these 2?

The fact we kept the kit for a few season helps as well.
The classic 70s home shirt we had from the mid 60s and only changed it to a nylon version and molded plastic cockerel in 75(i think).So we had the same shirt for 10 years.The one in your photo ,3 years. That's what makes kits classic and iconic ,along with childhood/youth memories imho.
That said,when i see the couple of home shirts we have had with yellow in them, i am glad we only had them for a season.
That nylon version was my first football shirt! A few embarrassing pics lying around in the loft of me in that I'm sure.

To this day that was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever worn in my life, it was stitched together with fishing line, the ends of which would stab you. The nipple rash that was brought on with anything more than a gentle jog was truly horrendous. I looked like Perryman when wearing it though, so it was all worth the torture.

That nylon version was my first football shirt! A few embarrassing pics lying around in the loft of me in that I'm sure.

To this day that was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever worn in my life, it was stitched together with fishing line, the ends of which would stab you. The nipple rash that was brought on with anything more than a gentle jog was truly horrendous. I looked like Perryman when wearing it though, so it was all worth the torture.
Was my first shirt as well.
Unfortunately i looked more like Willie Young than Steve Perryman...

Does anyone remember a T shirt Spurs did in about the mid 70s ? There were 3 colours of it, white with navy blue trim, navy blue with white trim and yellow with blue trim. These were nylon I think, but were popular. Me and all my mates wore them.

Does anyone remember a T shirt Spurs did in about the mid 70s ? There were 3 colours of it, white with navy blue trim, navy blue with white trim and yellow with blue trim. These were nylon I think, but were popular. Me and all my mates wore them.
Yeah, i was to young to get some that fitted.,but all the older lot on my etstate wore them. They all seemed to have all 3 colours,so presuming you had to buy the 3 at once?

Happy birthday to us...

Who's Mum is good at baking a cake, we can all pile round to their house and have a kick about in their back garden...

Just found this beauty for £37 and no names/numbers. Just what I was looking for, well chuffed :thumbup:

Very early Christmas present from my wife ...sorted.

I remember the 3 t shirts but they didn't have kids sizes for us youngsters at the time.
I did have a lovely white and navy ringer T shirt admiral with the transfer badges I wore it to the Saturday game final 81.

Back
Top Bottom