Rennes VS Tottenham Hotspur. Thursday 16th September 17:45 Euro Conf League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Zero? No. But there's no reason they couldn't go unbeaten. They have one of the best squads in the world, in one of the weakest leagues. If Woolwich could go unbeaten, why can't PSG?

Airfixx in "I agree with Matt1882" shocker.

Zero? No. But there's no reason they couldn't go unbeaten. They have one of the best squads in the world, in one of the weakest leagues. If Woolwich could go unbeaten, why can't PSG?
In the last 20 leagues, there have been a total of 2 unbeaten seasons in the top 5 leagues (Woolwich and juventus). This includes all the great Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, man city, man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, juventus, inter Milan, ac Milan, etc. teams.

Was it possible PSG could go undefeated this season? Yes

Was there a high probability PSG would go undefeated this season? Not even close. Any statistical model would reflect this and I’m not going to waste my time looking one up.

Therefore, should we be expecting them to go undefeated and criticize them for not doing it?

In the last 20 leagues, there have been a total of 2 unbeaten seasons in the top 5 leagues (Woolwich and juventus). This includes all the great Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, man city, man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, juventus, inter Milan, ac Milan, etc. teams.

Was it possible PSG could go undefeated this season? Yes

Was there a high probability PSG would go undefeated this season? Not even close. Any statistical model would reflect this and I’m not going to waste my time looking one up.

Therefore, should we be expecting them to go undefeated and criticize them for not doing it?

If you had to pick one team in one of the, say top 7 leagues across Europe, that could go unbeaten, I doubt you could look at anyone other than PSG.

Every other league is far more competitive. For every City, there is a Liverpool pushing them. For every Juve, there is an Inter. For every Bayern, there is a Dortmund.
No one else in France should be able to compete with PSG, with that Glove Trotter-esq squad.

If you had to pick one team in one of the, say top 7 leagues across Europe, that could go unbeaten, I doubt you could look at anyone other than PSG.

Every other league is far more competitive. For every City, there is a Liverpool pushing them. For every Juve, there is an Inter. For every Bayern, there is a Dortmund.
No one else in France should be able to compete with PSG, with that Glove Trotter-esq squad.
I don’t disagree. PSG would have the highest probability, which would still be very low.

"if you had to pick one" is hardly a statistical method to measure whether Poch could be expected to lose a game or not.

That is quite contrary to stats and just blatantly biased with no other purpose than leveraging doubt against him.

"if you had to pick one" is hardly a statistical method to measure whether Poch could be expected to lose a game or not.

That is quite contrary to stats and just blatantly biased with no other purpose than leveraging doubt against him.

Surely there's a bit of doubt still?
We always cut him slack because he didn't always have the tools at Spurs. No one can say he's not tooled up at PSG.

Bayern is much more dominant in the Bundesliga than PSG is at Ligue 1, you just don't know ball.

I can only speak for myself but it has nothing to do with Poch and everything to do with how much the deck is stacked in their favour domestically for PSG; regardless of the manager.

Is it a high percentage chance that PSG went unbeaten? No.

....It's far from inconceivable though.

Bayern is much more dominant in the Bundesliga than PSG is at Ligue 1, you just don't know ball.
In France, PSG are still 6 points clear of 2nd.
In Germany, there is 1 point between Bayern and 4th placed Freiberg.
They will win the league, again, like they normally do. But surely Dortmund are stronger than any team outside of PSG from France. If RBL get their shit together after losing their coach, they too might be able to claim they're better than the rest of the French league bar PSG.

To me, PSG are as far ahead of the rest of France as Celtic were in Scotland when there was no Rangers.

Surely there's a bit of doubt still?
We always cut him slack because he didn't always have the tools at Spurs. No one can say he's not tooled up at PSG.
Sure a bit of doubt is reasonable. I just think expecting any team to go undefeated is not realistic so that is not a good reason to doubt him.

In France, PSG are still 6 points clear of 2nd.
In Germany, there is 1 point between Bayern and 4th placed Freiberg.
They will win the league, again, like they normally do. But surely Dortmund are stronger than any team outside of PSG from France. If RBL get their shit together after losing their coach, they too might be able to claim they're better than the rest of the French league bar PSG.

To me, PSG are as far ahead of the rest of France as Celtic were in Scotland when there was no Rangers.
Mate you said a team that didn't even win their league last season should be favourites for going invincible this season.

Mate you said a team that didn't even win their league last season should be favourites for going invincible this season.
He wasn't their coach, they sacked him.
Then they went and signed Ramos, Donoruma, Hakimi, Wijnaldum and some little fella from Argentina.

It reminds me of when Abramovic first got Mourinho and he just went nuts and signed everyone. But even then Chelsea had the likes of Man United and Woolwich to contend with.

And there's 2 debates going on here. One is whether PSG should be going unbeaten and one whether Poch is removing any doubts people had of him as a coach. They're not linked, but I would say has has to win the league this season and I would say it has to be fairly easily. If he's starting to struggle towards the end of the season and dropping points rather than coasting through, he's maybe not that great after all. And maybe he just had a perfect storm at Spurs for 2 or 3 years.

Airfixx in "I agree with Matt1882" shocker.

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

Craig David levels of 3rd person there.

Back
Top Bottom