Rennes VS Tottenham Hotspur. Thursday 16th September 17:45 Euro Conf League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rennes away might well be our toughest game in the group - so a point away is a decent result

Especially with 6 first team players (25% of our 25 man squad) missing due to quarantine or injury, most of them might have been chosen to start.

Some positives :

- Ndombele looked committed
- Tanganga and Rodon (on his european debut) looked ok as our CB pairing. Goood experience for each of them
- Hojbjerg helped pull us through

Worrying news was Bergwijn and Moura coming off.
Good points.
Royal looked very good tonight as a makeshift. I reckon he will be a big hit for us.

I’m trying not to be negative but it does feel like a complete mess. I am not sure it actually matters who the manager is. It’s going to be a few seasons until we get a good team together and levy lucks upon a good managerial appointment. The one good thing we have going for us is the stadium should produce enough money to fund the purchases we need. Trouble is, it will take time. Again.

If you look at the players coming in from 2015 - 2019 the number of good players coming in was small (Son, Dele and Alderweireld being the exceptions).

Whilst the players being replaced since 2015 Eriksen, Walker/Trippier, Rose (in prme), Vertonghem, Alderweirld etc generally some of our best players.

2019 joiners (Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessegnon) might still come good but so far have not stamped their mark on Spurs as guaranteed starters

Our best recent joiners are probably Hojbjerg and Reguilon whilst I hope Rodon becomes a regular, Skipp probably needs half a season to cement his place as does Tanganga and we hope the 2021 arrivals (Royal, Gil, Romero, Sarr, and Gollini) join that list.

But I think we need another decent window in Summer 2022 to upgrade the remaining substandard players before we can hope to have a top squad - was always going to be too much to expect all the circa 10 players to be upgraded in summer 2021 .

Good points.
Royal looked very good tonight as a makeshift. I reckon he will be a big hit for us.

Think we need to allow the summer 2021 arrivals to play a dozen games or so before giving a provisional evaluation but happy if Royal and Romero hit the ground running, Gil always a longer term proposition to show his best

Think we need to allow the summer 2021 arrivals to play a dozen games or so before giving a provisional evaluation but happy if Royal and Romero hit the ground running, Gil always a longer term proposition to show his best
I like all 3 of those guys so far but Royal (despite the shit show v CP) is the guy I have the highest hopes for.
I have to say I was not impressed by Romero's recent behaviour but if he can show the same commitment to THFC as he does to the Argentine side that would be good.

If you look at the players coming in from 2015 - 2019 the number of good players coming in was small (Son, Dele and Alderweireld being the exceptions).

Whilst the players being replaced since 2015 Eriksen, Walker/Trippier, Rose (in prme), Vertonghem, Alderweirld etc generally some of our best players.

2019 joiners (Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessegnon) might still come good but so far have not stamped their mark on Spurs as guaranteed starters

Our best recent joiners are probably Hojbjerg and Reguilon whilst I hope Rodon becomes a regular, Skipp probably needs half a season to cement his place as does Tanganga and we hope the 2021 arrivals (Royal, Gil, Romero, Sarr, and Gollini) join that list.

But I think we need another decent window in Summer 2022 to upgrade the remaining substandard players before we can hope to have a top squad - was always going to be too much to expect all the circa 10 players to be upgraded in summer 2021 .

At least a back up striker would have prevented Kane having to play today. Not getting one of those was laughable.

We need a midfield and attack who can play proper aggressive football. It’s just all such a mess.

Tough one at the moment who our starting 11 should be. I think Ndombele and Dele need to be playing together if we have any hope of creating from midfield. I also think Hjolberg and Skipp together create a good block for Dier and Sanchez.

Maybe a 4-2-2-2 type formation could work for us. The wing backs attack and defend and you will find one of the attacking 4 will slip into the channels aswell.

Son and Kane upfront together, Dele and Ndombele, Hjolberg and Skipp, Dier and Sanchez

I don't see much weakness individually, Ndombele plays more advanced and his lack of defence is made up by the other 3.

You also have Skipp and Hjolberg able to help the full backs.

Without the risk of sounding too like fifa tactics I do think that could work. It's more direct, it keeps out best players on the pitch and it probably suits Lo Celso quite well to mix between Dele and Ndombele. If Kane drops off, Son is on point.

It all makes so much sense in my head poke some holes

Maybe I have way too much memories watching Hassenhutl play a similar set up at Southampton and watching teams walk through a similar formation but I don't think I ever want to see us play a 4-2-2-2 formation even if the players fit which I don't think they do.

Dele in the line-up offers nothing in terms of creation so I don't see the point in playing him with Ndombele to do that.

With that line-up we still have the same issue we did last season in terms of progressing the ball through the MF. The Skipp-PEH duo cannot do it, so now we are asking CB's who are for the most part mediocre or poor in terms of passing or progressing the ball up the pitch to avoid them and go right up to Ndombele, not Dele because giving it to him just would result in a turnover and put us under pressure right away. This results in Ndombele having to drop way to deep because Dele can't progress the ball from deep and the CB's can't get the ball to Ndombele further up the pitch. He now is not playing anything close to a 10 role and either has to beat the MF all on his own or have Kane drop deep which leaves us with few options up front.

This is going to be an issue with any formation we play but not helped at all with the 4-2-2-2. Another issue I have is that we are already so narrow and compact as it is which has allowed us to block a lot of the attempts against us but also made it easier for teams to attack us and get shots off and progress the ball up the field with ease against us. I imagine if we are narrow this often we will see more Palace games where they take advantage rather than Wolves games where we get lucky.

At least a back up striker would have prevented Kane having to play today. Not getting one of those was laughable.

We need a midfield and attack who can play proper aggressive football. It’s just all such a mess.

We will probably still need to move on a good half dozen players who are not up to scratch and bring in at least one goalscoring forward, midfield player and defender, and possibly two in each area.

Quite a few uncertainties in the squad for me - Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon for example are still not seen after 2 seasons as successful acquisitions so this season might be one which become one where they are judged good enough to retain or not reliable enough and so need to be moved on.

Lots of work to be done, that's for sure

We will probably still need to move on a good half dozen players who are not up to scratch and bring in at least one goalscoring forward, midfield player and defender, and possibly two in each area.

Quite a few uncertainties in the squad for me - Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon for example are still not seen after 2 seasons as successful acquisitions so this season might be one which become one where they are judged good enough to retain or not reliable enough and so need to be moved on.

Lots of work to be done, that's for sure

Doherty (bust)
Winks (bust)
Clarke(bust)
Davies (Age)
Lucas (Age)
Dele (unless explodes this season)
Bergwijn (unless explodes this season)

Sess?(*)
Gio?(*)
Ndombele?(*)

(*Depressing reality of Poch's "big" window.)

Get the ball rolling in Jan if we can.... The top part of the list could all be viable purchases for struggling teams that need to reinforce.

Back
Top Bottom