Retro Spurs photos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I grew up with Palace as my local club and went to loads of games, and I think I can work it out.

imo It's Palace's first ever season in the top flight - 1969-70.

2-0 to Spurs, Pearce and Chivers. Aug 1969.

The following season I went to my first match there, v Spam. Moore, Hurst and....Greaves, who'd been transferred March 1970.

I can't recall cheerleaders as we would know them, but I know that in that first season there were sort of guards of honour as it were. I'm guessing they weren't for everyone. United had one for instance.
Not being funny or owt but the girls/cheerleaders don’t appear to have Pom Poms which would suggest as your saying a guard of honour.....by why? Just a gimmick but Palace now do/did have cheerleaders they the only ones.....

07-EABD4-F-F86-C-40-AD-81-A7-32-B50291-F31-B.png

tottenham v Leeds February 1970
weird seeing Leeds in red. They also had red socks in the 1970 Wembley final v Chavs. That looked weird too.

Weird because their other colours in the club badge were yellow and blue, Yorks being White Rose, Lancs Red Rose.

Not being funny or owt but the girls/cheerleaders don’t appear to have Pom Poms which would suggest as your saying a guard of honour.....by why? Just a gimmick but Palace now do/did have cheerleaders they the only ones.....
maybe a mark of respect for the bigger teams? From photos I seem to recall that there was one for MUFC, or maybe Bobby Charlton in particular. That was their first game in Div 1 I think

weird seeing Leeds in red. They also had red socks in the 1970 Wembley final v Chavs. That looked weird too.

Weird because their other colours in the club badge were yellow and blue, Yorks being White Rose, Lancs Red Rose.
I think Leeds played in blue and yellow until Don Revie became manager in the early 60s and changed the strip to all white because of Real Madrid...bit like Bill Nic did with us in Europe.

For some reason I remember Palace having cheerleaders in the 70s, possibly because I think they were the only team that did. I very rarely bother googling stuff and rely on my memory for most things. Funny how I remember stuff from decades ago quite clearly and can't remember what I went upstairs for!
You are quite right. Thought it was a new thing as well, but they had it for decades!
EUtgdf8XsAEXDQ6.jpg:large

Revie also got rid of the peacock off of their badge, as he was superstitious of birds.
Reminds me of the scene in The Damned United when Clough asks Taylor what Revie is doing, getting out of the team coach and walking the last few yards to the Baseball. Timothy Spall (Taylor) replies in his best derogatory - "Superstitious twat"

Revie also got rid of the peacock off of their badge, as he was superstitious of birds.
Ridiculous, isn't it.

At his best one of the greatest English managers there's ever been (as opposed to England manager). Leeds were pretty rubbish when he took over, a 2nd division team who had never won anything. They were also very much the poor relation in Leeds to Rugby League, which had FAR bigger crowds and followings. He staved off relegation, got them promoted and then they pretty much won the lot.

An equivalent now might be someone taking over Hull City at the wrong end of the championship, getting them in Div 1, almost winning the double at the first attempt, but then going on to win PL titles, FA Cups, European cups. But they came close loads more, and it was possibly his utter neurosis that helped blow all those finals and close league finishes.

On the plus side, his sides played some great football. I remember always feeling super proud whenever we beat them, more so than any other oppo. Innovative stuff, clearly a great thinker of tactics. His players thought he was the tops.

Nowadays he's remembered as much for dirty teams, making a ricket at England (bit unlucky), taking the Middle East job, bribing oppos to throw games. Ironic that they lost the ECWC in '73 to AC Milan, who had bribed the Greek ref.

A lot of similarities with Cough's achievements, although they are viewed so differently these days.

When he died the FA didn't even send anyone to the funeral. FFS, petty-minded twats.

PS - on the superstition bit, he had a gypsy come to Elland Road to lift a curse, as he felt they were missing out through bad luck! Even more crazy - that's when they started winning trophies!!!

Bit of a diversion off Spurs retro, and this stuff will only resonate with guys here who were following football by early 70's latest.

Club nickname was The Peacocks, although the bird that Revie got rid of from the club shirt was an owl.

Very random reason for choosing an owl in the first place - Sheff Weds are known as The Owls, Sheffield close enough to Leeds to be big rivals.

A perching owl badge was added to the strip in 1964. The owl derived from the three owls that feature on the city’s coat of arms, which in turn were taken from the coat of arms of Sir John Savile, the first alderman of Leeds. The owl was usually navy blue, but was coloured gold for the 1968 Football League Cup Final.

Club nickname was The Peacocks, although the bird that Revie got rid of from the club shirt was an owl.

Very random reason for choosing an owl in the first place - Sheff Weds are known as The Owls, Sheffield close enough to Leeds to be big rivals.

A perching owl badge was added to the strip in 1964. The owl derived from the three owls that feature on the city’s coat of arms, which in turn were taken from the coat of arms of Sir John Savile, the first alderman of Leeds. The owl was usually navy blue, but was coloured gold for the 1968 Football League Cup Final.
Well everyday is a school day.....
take it this a peacock?
8-E711475-39-A4-47-B5-A3-AD-C2524-B9-FF184.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom