Retro Spurs photos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Loved Tony Galvin, a tad under-rated by even some Spurs supporters. He gave us balance and width, and knew how to cross a ball. One of the few players with a college degree (in Russian), and is known for his very fruity language. He is now like a little round ball, quite portly and not a hair on his head. :)
Haha!! You're not wrong there. My mate and I were chatting on the platform at WHL station after a match 2-3 seasons ago, a guy in a club blazer started talking to us. It was Tony G and I didn't recognise him, round and no hair! Great to speak, for once I was annoyed when the train came in.

Fantastic ability to cross the ball at full speed from the left byline. Socks down...

e41393bec60f135064387fe315c19de6.jpg

I reckon that might be 5th round Coventry at home in the 81 cup run. Looks like a rare Ossie goal and we only had that kit for 2 seasons. No matter how good we have been since that will always be the side i love the most.
It's "my" team too. The sweet spot for a young teenager (13) mad about football, mad about Tottenham, mad about Argentinian football (because of my first World Cup '78 & Ossie & Rikki).

But..............

I have to say Poch's Tottenham is right up there with this lot. What's different is my age, now into my 50's (fuuuuck) but haven't felt as connected to the club, players and fellow fans since the 80's. Maybe it's an even bigger feat to pull off to have a cynical old git feel the same way an optimistic teenager did about his favourite Spurs team????

Up The Spurs.

It's "my" team too. The sweet spot for a young teenager (13) mad about football, mad about Tottenham, mad about Argentinian football (because of my first World Cup '78 & Ossie & Rikki).

But..............

I have to say Poch's Tottenham is right up there with this lot. What's different is my age, now into my 50's (fuuuuck) but haven't felt as connected to the club, players and fellow fans since the 80's. Maybe it's an even bigger feat to pull off to have a cynical old git feel the same way an optimistic teenager did about his favourite Spurs team????

Up The Spurs.
Yeah, totally agree. That 2014 to 2019 side was very close to matching the early 80's one.

Yeah, totally agree. That 2014 to 2019 side was very close to matching the early 80's one.

One of my favourite fan pics is this.

CeWEIfVWIAEBOtl.jpg

I'm in there somewhere dressed like this (just as almost everyone was). I went to Wembley on my own (13yrs old!!!) from Enfield, I had no idea where Wembley was let alone knowing how to get there. So I cycled to White Hart Lane, thinking there's bound to be loads of Spurs fans from there going I could follow, plus I lied to my parents by saying I was going to watch the game at a mates house which meant I had to take the fucking bike haha.

Needless to say that those hats were very useful in spotting those going to the game. Locked my pride and joy up to the railings near Bruce Grove train station and followed the hats.

Coupla good look-a-likes in there too...

Antonio Conte; 2nd from the front, on the right, directly in between the Steward in the orange hi-vis, and the Policeman!
'Conte' is himself standing next to Colin Welland, or 'Pop' from The League of Gentlemen ...
league_of_gentlemen_2017_8.jpg
WA814880.jpg

(a young) Eammon Holmes (or John Leslie, if you squint): Far left, right at the front, arms outstretched... but I suppose Holmes is a Man Utd fan, and this was against Liverpool, so completely understandable!

...and who's the Scouser in the beige jacket (two rows behind 'Anthony Conte' with his arms on his head???

LOVE THIS THREAD!!

There are some great photos on the Spurs official site, inspired by the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee; looking back at the time when she came to the throne. Here are a few of my favourites:

platinum-jubilee-1953.jpg

Shortly after Her Majesty The Queen's Coronation, an historic night for us in 1953 - our first floodlit match against Racing Club de Paris

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom