Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has he actually had a good game against anyone who's actually turned up? Being insipid against Liverpool away is one thing, being insipid against Villa, Brighton, Burnley, Brentford etc...

This constant CM2 thing doesn't help, but I wouldn't be excited about Bentancur in a midfield 3 either, he's not a dominating 6 and he's not a transitioning 8.

I'd swap him for Keita yesterday. Least he's got some fucking vim.
First impressions man... it'll take a while for people to not overrate him. He'll have to really drop a stinker for people to notice now.

I would say that two poorest players on the field were Bentancur and Kulusevski - they struggled with the tempo of the game more than other players. It is not to say that they would be shit or should be dropped - absolutely not. They have been very valuable additions and have helped us back into top 4 fight. And we will get lot out of them in the future as well. Just this one game they both played poorly. I do not see why it is bad thing to admit it?

Top post but you're wasting your time .. they don't understand nuance so unless you're saying the new acquisition is the greatest player to ever exist you're not being positive enough. Fact is almost nobody has said Bentancur is a bad player, just that he might not be the superstar, game changing midfielder we still require.

For what, 20m? He was a decent signing. Depth in midfield, hard worker, not bad technically. He is what we paid for, don't know why that should be controversial. There's a reason Villa were the other interested party, he'd be a key player for them, and is a solid one for us.

For what, 20m? He was a decent signing. Depth in midfield, hard worker, not bad technically. He is what we paid for, don't know why that should be controversial. There's a reason Villa were the other interested party, he'd be a key player for them, and is a solid one for us.
This is exactly my thought. He's far from what need in a starting CM, but for the price he's not another bust transfer.

I'm hoping we can sell Winks for 15/20m to a side like Palace, Villa, Southampton etc. so that for a minimal outlay we get the Winks we actually want.

This is exactly my thought. He's far from what need in a starting CM, but for the price he's not another bust transfer.

I'm hoping we can sell Winks for 15/20m to a side like Palace, Villa, Southampton etc. so that for a minimal outlay we get the Winks we actually want.

Issue with selling Winks is the HG problem .. if Leeds go down I wouldn't mind us going for Phillips if at a semi reasonable fee. It's also why a Maddison/JWP signing wouldn't be a terrible idea despite the inevitable overpriced fees .. we need some solid HG players.

I'd be happy if we gave him away like Dele or Serge tbh.

Issue with selling Winks is the HG problem .. if Leeds go down I wouldn't mind us going for Phillips if at a semi reasonable fee. It's also why a Maddison/JWP signing wouldn't be a terrible idea despite the inevitable overpriced fees .. we need some solid HG players.
If we sell Winks, get in Jonstone that's at least one HG slot covered.

All the other players we're likely to sell are foreign so I'm guessing it'll be one foreign out and one foreign in.

There's also the championship talent we've supposedly been monitoring. I'd rather go for those than JWP/Maddison. With these two I'm afraid we'd get lumbered with overpriced players with high wages who won't contribute enough but hard to shift later.

Take any kid out of the academy. They'd be no worse and would have actual potential.

All the other players we're likely to sell are foreign so I'm guessing it'll be one foreign out and one foreign in.

There's also the championship talent we've supposedly been monitoring. I'd rather go for those than JWP/Maddison. With these two I'm afraid we'd get lumbered with overpriced players with high wages who won't contribute enough but hard to shift later.

Yeah this is true. It's a shame we've missed the boat previously on quite a bit of championship talent, we benefitted a lot from it in the past with Bale. The likes of Bowen, Maddison & Olise would've been excellent pick ups at the time for the price.

I like Brennan Johnson a lot but probably not possible if Forest go up.

Indeed.

JWP: Way overpriced and we'd still be left wanting that top guy to run our MF.
Madison: Still don't see the need for a pure #10 in this set up. I'd rather Eriksen by some distance as he's more versatile and when on-song a significanlty better player.

Indeed.

JWP: Way overpriced and we'd still be left wanting that top guy to run our MF.
Madison: Still don't see the need for a pure #10 in this set up. I'd rather Eriksen by some distance as he's more versatile and when on-song a significanlty better player.
Eriksen is far more professional, with a better injury history (heart attack aside). He'd also be very cheap and give us the chance to continue to look for that long term successor, whereas the other two could end up like a Ndombele/Lo Ceslo situation.

It was a criticism that the Juve fans had of him but I think it is a pretty easy thing to get out of his game to ask him to move the ball on quicker.
The Juventus midfield was the strong point then with wrong signings campaigns they got worse. And the problem was definitely not Bentancur. However, the Juventus fans are very demanding (sometimes too much) and have begun to target him too.

The Juventus midfield was the strong point then with wrong signings campaigns they got worse. And the problem was definitely not Bentancur. However, the Juventus fans are very demanding (sometimes too much) and have begun to target him too.

You guys went from Marchisio, Pogba, Pirlo & Vidal to Arthur, Rabiot, McKennie & Zakaria .. formerly Ramsey & Bentancur.

Can’t blame some of your fans for turning their noses up. Most of the latter bunch aren’t bad players but you had arguably the best collection of midfielders in the world for a while.

You guys went from Marchisio, Pogba, Pirlo & Vidal to Arthur, Rabiot, McKennie & Zakaria .. formerly Ramsey & Bentancur.

Can’t blame some of your fans for turning their noses up. Most of the latter bunch aren’t bad players but you had arguably the best collection of midfielders in the world for a while.
Above all, a large battery of midfielders bought for almost 0 €: Pirlo released, Vidal taken on a piece of bread from Bayer Leverkusen, Marchisio from the nursery and Pogba at 0 € from Man United. After we got some packages. Ramsey the top of rip-offs.

It's like going from Wanyama and Dembele to Winks and Sissoko.

I like him.
I like the interview stuff about fitness.
He is making mistakes as he learns about the division which is to be expected but he was certainly not awful v Liverpool and got unlucky with the deflection.
Punters are probs unfairly comparing his OK start to the magnificent start that Kulu has made.
I'm confident he will be a big player for us next season and if he ain't he will certainly be at least a very good squad player.

Back
Top Bottom