Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Like him as a footballer but I also like his grit and determination. There is something about South American players where they just love getting involved in scraps and defending themselves and teammates.

Shooting is dreadful though so needs to work on that 😆

is it me or does anyone else think last few games hes lost a bit of snap and sharpness to his game? just seemed to be far more intense in getting to the ball or getting to the opposition with the ball when he first came?

yea defo needs to work on his technique with shooting in the summer lol

I’m not sure if he’s changed or our perception of him has changed —- he’s not the bright, shiny, new signing he was.
In truth, while he’s a useful addition, I’m not sure I want to start next year with any combination of our current CMs as our first choice.

I’m not sure if he’s changed or our perception of him has changed —- he’s not the bright, shiny, new signing he was.
In truth, while he’s a useful addition, I’m not sure I want to start next year with any combination of our current CMs as our first choice.
You don't need a flashy midfielder to do extremely well. He can be our Henderson.

Been a big first 4/5 months in a quicker, more physical league.... Been ever-present since his arrival when in truth he may not have been expected to play so much if it wasn't for Skipp's absence. It's not inconceivable he'd suffer a little bit of a drop off.

He's already proven he can cut it though..... Young enough to improve further...... Summer hols.... Full pre-season..... Job's a good'n.

As for starter or not; we simply needed more quality in depth at CM and he's a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Skipp was verging on player of the season before he got injured... What do you mean a crab?
Pass left. Pass right. For those of you old enough Ray Wilkins was called the Crab for exactly that reason. For you guys to suddenly talk of Skippy being the Christian Eriksen of the current team is a complete joke. He is not a creative midfielder. He is a DM. He does not break a press.

im not sure if this is because the distance from when he last played makes all your hearts grow fonder. But he does a similar role to PEH.

Our team with PEH and Skipp at the base of midfield was unimaginative. When Bentancur came along it was like a breath of fresh air With someone playing with their head up looking to thread passes forward.

Pass left. Pass right. For those of you old enough Ray Wilkins was called the Crab for exactly that reason. For you guys to suddenly talk of Skippy being the Christian Eriksen of the current team is a complete joke. He is not a creative midfielder. He is a DM. He does not break a press.

im not sure if this is because the distance from when he last played makes all your hearts grow fonder. But he does a similar role to PEH.

Our team with PEH and Skipp at the base of midfield was unimaginative. When Bentancur came along it was like a breath of fresh air With someone playing with their head up looking to thread passes forward.

Playing a CM2, you can't play a creative midfielder like Eriksen as one of them.

The CM2 role is to break up play, forward play is almost a bonus. And that's the reason why Bentancur, Hojbjerg and Skipp play that way in a CM2

BTW, you may (or may not) have seen Hojbjerg playing in recent international matches for Denmark and get a number of assists - that's because he's operating under different instructions. Likewise for both Norwich last season on loan and in Spurs youth Skipp showed plenty of times that he could carry the ball forward and have both long and short passing creating opportunities.

In the current system Spurs play most creativity is supposed to come from wing backs .... which is an issue for us this season

If he’s half the player Ray Wilkins was he’ll be fine

Playing a CM2, you can't play a creative midfielder like Eriksen as one of them.

The CM2 role is to break up play, forward play is almost a bonus. And that's the reason why Bentancur, Hojbjerg and Skipp play that way in a CM2

BTW, you may (or may not) have seen Hojbjerg playing in recent international matches for Denmark and get a number of assists - that's because he's operating under different instructions. Likewise for both Norwich last season on loan and in Spurs youth Skipp showed plenty of times that he could carry the ball forward and have both long and short passing creating opportunities.

In the current system Spurs play most creativity is supposed to come from wing backs .... which is an issue for us this season
I think you are agreeing with me that Skipp is a DM. To break a press you need someone like Dembele with very good close control. If Skipp gets pressed he passes sideways / backwards.

I like him for his DM work. But he is not a press breaker as suggested by others (including the people who downvoted me)

I think you are agreeing with me that Skipp is a DM. To break a press you need someone like Dembele with very good close control. If Skipp gets pressed he passes sideways / backwards.

I like him for his DM work. But he is not a press breaker as suggested by others (including the people who downvoted me)

Dembele was great at breaking presses and almost impossible to get the ball off.

However his passing ability after breaking the press was very poor - hence him getting very assists or goals - he wasn't a solution to creativity which was largely down to Eriksen playing as one of the 3 in a 4231 in that team.

So going back to your original argument of wanting more creativity in midfield, your solution does not work.

No that Winks luv Skipp has blond hair....

Dembele was great at breaking presses and almost impossible to get the ball off.

However his passing ability after breaking the press was very poor - hence him getting very assists or goals - he wasn't a solution to creativity which was largely down to Eriksen playing as one of the 3 in a 4231 in that team.

So going back to your original argument of wanting more creativity in midfield, your solution does not work.
I actually wasn’t offering a solution at all. Some of your reading comprehension skills are awful.

The Ghost: I’ll take someone who can progress the ball forward and break a press.

Jimmy D: Ollie Skipp.

UJ: Skippy is not that player. He is a DM.

you guys all downvoting me obviously think Skipp is a press breaker. He’s not. When he gets pressed he goes sideways / backwards. He is the same as PEH. Does a good DM job but doesn’t regularly progress forward and certainly is not a press breaker

weirdos GIF

I actually wasn’t offering a solution at all. Some of your reading comprehension skills are awful.

The Ghost: I’ll take someone who can progress the ball forward and break a press.

you guys all downvoting me obviously think Skipp is a press breaker. He’s not. When he gets pressed he goes sideways / backwards. He is the same as PEH. Does a good DM job but doesn’t regularly progress forward and certainly is not a press breaker

weirdos GIF
Yup, Skipp can play great forward passes, but he does lose the ball under pressure quite a lot.

I think plenty of you are massively underrating Bentancur.

For me he is literally the perfect DM. Aggressive, reads the game well, classy on the ball and a very good passer.

He links play beautifully and I honestly love watching him play. He reminds me of Modric in many ways (but obviously not that good).

I don’t want to knock PEH, as he has been more than decent - but I think if we are upgrading in CM, it will be PEH who drops out. We would then have someone more progressive in there alongside Bentancur, with Skipp also involved in the rotation.

weirdos GIF
I get what you mean now - but I think the downvotes were because of the "not our saviour" comment. If Bentancur hadn't come in we would be absolutely fucked without Skipp and I think we got very lucky considering they didn't know Skipp would be out for the length of time he has been. Yeah Skipp is definitely a defensive minded player but he can pick a pass! He's not Eriksen but if I had a choice of Skipp or Eriksen I'd choose Skipp all day.

Back
Top Bottom