Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Probably including you. Everyone was disappointed on not getting Diaz, and underwhelmed by Kulu ( based on his Juve’s performances)
Not everyone. I had no idea who Diaz was, so wasn't particularly disappointed.

I don't play FIFA either.

About the only thing I've ever advocated on here is wait and see, with every player, not just the signings. So far both Paratici and Conte have shown excellent judgement in players they've brought in.

Long may that continue

About the only thing I've ever advocated on here is wait and see, with every player, not just the signings. So far both Paratici and Conte have shown excellent judgement in players they've brought in.

Long may that continue

Agree with that under those two

lol @ Juve.

This guy and Kulu changed everything for us.

Cheers for the 'rejects'! :mourloopy:
The strange thing is that they were obviously top players to have been snapped up by Juve & their manager/ fans couldn’t wait to see the back of them.
It’s very odd in football how things only click at certain clubs or under certain managers
I hope some club somewhere has similar ideas about Lo Celso & Ndomteletubby.

Probably including you.

"Probably?"

You don't sound very sure.....

"Juve rejects"

"Paratici tax fraud"

etc.

........I was spewing that kind of crap?

My opinion of Kulu was petulantly formed on the basis that we didn't get Diaz?

Everyone was disappointed on not getting Diaz, and underwhelmed by Kulu ( based on his Juve’s performances)

"Everyone was under whelmed by Kulu"?

Dubious claim you're making here....

Perhaps dig up some old quotes rather than throw around guess-work.....?

"Probably?"

You don't sound very sure.....

"Juve rejects"

"Paratici tax fraud"

etc.

........I was spewing that kind of crap?

My opinion of Kulu was petulantly formed on the basis that we didn't get Diaz?

"Everyone was under whelmed by Kulu"?

Dubious claim you're making here....

Perhaps dig up some old quotes rather than throw around guess-work.....?
No thanks, zero time or interest in proving a point. Sounds like the pedantic action someone with too much time on their hands would waste time doing

I think the disappointment wasn't so much at not getting Diaz specifically. It was the nature of the transfer. With Diaz it looked like we were finally willing to spend big money on a highly rated player, then we got gazumped by Liverpool, and settled for the cheap option again.

Thank god they turned out to be so good.

I think the disappointment wasn't so much at not getting Diaz specifically. It was the nature of the transfer. With Diaz it looked like we were finally willing to spend big money on a highly rated player, then we got gazumped by Liverpool, and settled for the cheap option again.

Still not accurate to portray it that way.....

"Gazumped" means to be out-bid.... Not true. The player just preferred Liverpool (if anything, Porto and or his agent just used us to force the Liverpool purchase forward from this summer).

What we then went on to pay for Kulu is irrelevant...... To suggest we bought him due to him being cheaper is bogus.

(The fact is once you factor in our loan fee, Kulu will have cost more than Diaz's 37m pricetag anyway.)

Still not accurate to portray it that way.....

"Gazumped" means to be out-bid.... Not true. The player just preferred Liverpool (if anything, Porto and or his agent just used us to force the Liverpool purchase forward from this summer).

What we then went on to pay for Kulu is irrelevant...... To suggest we bought him due to him being cheaper is bogus.

(The fact is once you factor in our loan fee, Kulu will have cost more than Diaz's 37m pricetag anyway.)
The specific details don't matter. People just felt like "not again" sense of disappointment as a we once again failed to land the first choice target and "settled" for the second choice.

They weren't inclined to give Kulu the benefit of the doubt.

The specific details don't matter.

They mattered enough for you to post (incorrect versions of) them, but perhaps we digress..... (see below)

People just felt like "not again" sense of disappointment as a we once again failed to land the first choice target and "settled" for the second choice.

At the time, those that are/were so inclined, overlooked the fact that we had been reported to have been interested in Kulu as far back as November...... Notably; before the Diaz links had surfaced.

Similarly, falsehoods were manufactured in order for individuals to justify/vindicate their complaints..... "gazumped", "never really interested in buying Diaz anyway; it was just for show", "tax scam by Paratici", "Kulu is a cheap option" yadda yadda......

They weren't inclined to give Kulu the benefit of the doubt.

That much is true of many.

Last edited:

Thank god they turned out to be so good.
I don't think that's actually true. If I remember correctly, Diaz had already agreed terms with Liverpool long before the transfer window opened so, whilst we tried to get him, he had already set his sights on Liverpool anyway.

I don't think that's actually true. If I remember correctly, Diaz had already agreed terms with Liverpool long before the transfer window opened so, whilst we tried to get him, he had already set his sights on Liverpool anyway.
This is more or less correct as I understand it.

Long may that continue

You forget there's a large number of users here that watch every single game in world football and hyper analyse every player. Despite there only being 24 hours a day, and people need to sleep. They may even have a job.
Or they straight up lie about their extensive knowledge of football players from around the world.

I'm with you. If I've never heard of some one or seen them play then I reserve judgement for when they do.

Thought PEH was better against Chelsea. He’s had a few stinkers in big games.

He’s quite good with the ball against lesser teams but in games where we don’t have the ball, he’s struggled as he’s not as good defensively as either of the other 3 midfielders (Skipp is still alive, right?).

In retrospect, I’m willing to lend him and PEH a little grace, especially for the first 60 or so minutes. They were overloaded, and it’s going to be difficult for any midfield to function when it’s essentially 2 v 4. Kante is difficult enough to cope with when it’s even. I don’t even know if prime Dembele would’ve done well with the mismatch. I lay most of the blame on Conte.

In retrospect, I’m willing to lend him and PEH a little grace, especially for the first 60 or so minutes. They were overloaded, and it’s going to be difficult for any midfield to function when it’s essentially 2 v 4. Kante is difficult enough to cope with when it’s even. I don’t even know if prime Dembele would’ve done well with the mismatch. I lay most of the blame on Conte.
100% on Conte - you can't expect PEH and Bentancur to win the midfield when they were being swarmed with 4-6 quality players. Kane and Kulu struggled to help them out and Son is pretty much useless when he needs to play deep in a CDM and/or LWB role.

I feel like we started with good energy (unlike Brighton), within second we were on them, then that Kulu pass to Son didn't quite go to plan. Followed by another Son chance on the edge of the box he was a bit slow to execute.

From there things took a turn. IMO if one of those went in or at least tested the keeper, we would have had our tails up and went for it.

PEH and Benta had a hard time in the middle but Sess and Davies were also poor under pressure despite what should be a numerically advantageous position for them. Emerson also offered so little going forward Chelsea could afford to focus their attention on Kane/Son.

In turn, Son and Kane failed to contribute hold up play or pressing, which again put the rest of the team on the back foot.

Conte's 343 doesn't HAVE to always result in our midfield getting overrun. Our backline can't pass through a press, we can't go long to Kane cos he loses to Koulibaly and Silva in the air (not that the long balls were very accurate).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom