Roll Call for Fans Never giving a Penny to ENIC again

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We actually won more in the nineties than we have in over 2 decades of €NIC.

We also won more in the 80's, 70's, 60's and 50's come to think of it :sonhmm:
I’m scratching my head with this comment. We won the FA Cup in 1990-91 and the League Cup in 1998-99. Those years we finished 10th and 11th in the league respectively.

If in the 2021/22 season we finished 10th and won the FA Cup, would you consider this year to be successful?

I would rather see us be competitive in all forms of the game, not just sneaking the odd cup here and there.

Ps. I’m not just picking a couple of seasons. In the rest of the 90’s our highest league finishing position was 7th and our lowest was 15th. We finished 14th or 15th 3 times. 3 TIMES!!!

Some people’s memory of the 90’s being the pre-ENIC years are dramatically different to mine, clearly

I’m scratching my head with this comment. We won the FA Cup in 1990-91 and the League Cup in 1998-99. Those years we finished 10th and 11th in the league respectively.
Why are you scratching your head, Ulrika? You just confirmed exactly what I posted.

Would you like to also further prove my point by listing what we won in the 80's, 70's, 60's and 50's ?

The game is about glory, love. Not just league position and profit

Last edited:

If in the 2021/22 season we finished 10th and won the FA Cup, would you consider this year to be successful?

I would rather see us be competitive in all forms of the game, not just sneaking the odd cup here and there.

Ps. I’m not just picking a couple of seasons. In the rest of the 90’s our highest league finishing position was 7th and our lowest was 15th. We finished 14th or 15th 3 times. 3 TIMES!!!

Some people’s memory of the 90’s being the pre-ENIC years are dramatically different to mine, clearly
yeah cause we will be remembered for finishing 4th as the nearly men

Why are you scratching your head, Ulrika? You just confirmed exactly what I posted.

Would you like to also further prove my point by listing what we won in the 80's, 70's, 60's and 50's ?

I agree but the modern game has become about profit and position. We used to laugh at woolwich and their top 4 trophy but we have become the same.

I look back on the 87 season and don't even recall our final league position, was it third? What I do remember is losing out on nearly winning two cups that season, same for 91, mid table but who cares, we beat woolwich in the cup final , still my best day supporting spurs

Would I take a tenth place finish and an fa cup win? Every bloody time, it's a sport , the objective is to win competitions.

So you would be happy with finishing below Southampton in the league in 11th if we won the League Cup as we did in 99? I absolutely wouldn’t.

The other factor you forget about the recent past is the comparative success we have had versus Woolwich. I bet we never finished above Woolwich in the league in the 90’s.

I stand to be corrected but I bet our Win % in the last 10 years under ENIC exceeds anything we comparatively achieved in the 90’s under Sugar (League win%, FA Cup win% Europe win%).

In my view ENIC have created an environment where we expect to be successful as we have been competitive against all comers. Prior to them being on board barring a couple of lucky cup runs we simply werent competitive against the best.

So you would be happy with finishing below Southampton in the league in 11th if we won the League Cup as we did in 99? I absolutely wouldn’t.

The other factor you forget about the recent past is the comparative success we have had versus Woolwich. I bet we never finished above Woolwich in the league in the 90’s.

I stand to be corrected but I bet our Win % in the last 10 years under ENIC exceeds anything we comparatively achieved in the 90’s under Sugar (League win%, FA Cup win% Europe win%).

In my view ENIC have created an environment where we expect to be successful as we have been competitive against all comers. Prior to them being on board barring a couple of lucky cup runs we simply werent competitive against the best.
I'm not happy about winning 1 carling cup in 21 years of the current ownership.

For a club of our size, our wealth, our history and our fanbase that record absolutely stinks.
Pretty much everyone in football acknowledges that and It's why we're the butt of so many jokes.

If you're happy with it, good for you. But please don't patronize those of us who think we're being taken for mugs and deserve much better.

Over the last 10 years we have had chances to win cups and we fell at the final hurdle. We have had chances to win the league which I’m not sure I have seen that position in the previous 40 years I have followed Spurs. Unfortunately we didn’t quite make it.

You see these things as the cup half empty. You see these as failures. I see these as the cup half full. I see these as successes.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

It was always in ENIC's financial interest to access European revenue. That would have been part of their business strategy.

However, it was never their priority to build a cup winning squad. Falling at the final hurdle is very much linked to a lack of squad depth and overreliance on a few star players.

We have a player in Kane who will be villainised for wanting to leave because he can see what many other spurs fans can see, ENIC aren't here to please fans.

Just to put the tv subscription comment in context, I’m someone who in the 90s used to pay for flight,hotel and ticket to watch a match whilst people were complaining of ticket prices, now I’m so disillusioned with current owners won’t even watch them on TV… in the 90s there was always next year, with these cunts it’s the same shit every year, no ambition to win, just make money.

FWIW I'm not buying anything. Directly or indirectly from the club. As per principle.

Aim high - not whine like a schoolgirl when not winning - see the difference?

We've been aiming to win the league again since '61 - in your opinion when should we all have given up and called it a day? you're pissing on every fans dreams with your incessant whining, why?

Aiming high?

:nunoshock:

We have missed every single chance at taking any kind of meaningful last steps. In fact, ENIC has gone out of their way to capitalise financially on talent rather than "aiming high" whenever they had the chance.

Since 99 we had, what, 2 smallest possibly cup wins, and both were from rebounds into the paths (and gobs) of the honourable gentlemen Nielsen and Woodgate.

We haven't been "aiming" to do shit. We have TALKED about doing all sorts of shit.

Hillarious that this cult can't tell "the difference" - yet talks about other people not undetstanding that same "difference".

I love that rhetoric thing you do - Force the recipient of chosing between now and [something objectively worse].

Your premise is a complete fallacy, though.

The real question is chosing between now and where we could have been with all the clubs brand, pulling power, geography, commercial base, fan base, TV revenue inflation, talent and player turnover from then and up til now. If it wasn't for the cynical c*nts running the club as if they had a clue nor care about the the football.

I love that rhetoric thing you do - Force the recipient of chosing between now and [something objectively worse].

Your premise is a complete fallacy, though.

The real question is chosing between now and where we could have been with all the clubs brand, pulling power, geography, commercial base, fan base, TV revenue inflation, talent and player turnover from then and up til now. If it wasn't for the cynical c*nts running the club as if they had a clue nor care about the the football.
Errrr..,.no. I was responding to people who were reminiscing about how much better we were in the 90’s (Being before ENIC) and today (being the current Spurs). I have devoted time and patience to explain why, in my view, that is not the case.

In case anyone is interested
60’s - we were largely awesome
70’s - we were largely shit
80’s - we were largely awesome
90’s - we were largely shit
00’s - we were meh
10’s - we were largely awesome

What does the 20’s hold? I’m hoping with the stadium, great support in N17, and a growing worldwide fan base outside N17 it will also be awesome.

Normal people understand that when your competition is financed by oligarchs and entire countries - crying about not winning make you ridiculously entitled - we've spent approaching 300m in the last three years, with hopefully more to come this window - your brilliant assessment"no ambition" .... just how much would it take to stop you whining?
Not crying or whining - just stating facts

I don’t expect us to pay the wages that City or Chelsea do, I’m not deluded

I do expect us to recruit well, learn from our mistakes and show leadership needed to win football matches. We have too many objectives, too many distractions and Levy’s rigid beam counting needs to be binned

Back
Top Bottom