Ryan Fredericks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What impressed me most about fredricks was his attitude to come in and make the most of things. I really like the fact he can cross!!!! no wonder the youth team ping in goals for fun they know how to play wingers on their correct sides and put in great crosses.

I think it was about just giving him some first team time.

We need to consult @ WindyCOYS WindyCOYS about the best position for him. His uncle is a gooner, so he may not know left from right.
Had absolutely no idea about his left footedness. I don't think I've ever noticed him being especially two-footed so that's really interesting.

He was always a right winger in the U18s and the first I knew of him playing RB was when Redknapp unexpectedly gave him his debut there in Europe.

I've spoken to quite a few other occasional watchers of the U18s / U21s about him and the universal opinion has seemed to be that we all expected him to have moved on by now; that he's competent but not outstanding.

My Brentford-supporting pal was not overly impressed by his loan stint there, saying that he was simply too small to make it as a right back at that level.

Perhaps Spurs have wanted to give him a chance to develop physically and re-assess?

This appearance could well lead to a good loan move in Jan I reckon.

The other thing I would add is that both Smith and Fredericks are far more suited to our system than Naughton IMO.

Last edited:
The youth setup we have in place is simply incredible now, just think how easily these players are slotting into the system when ready and how impressive they look, the confidence the likes or Fredricks and Townsend show is abundant because they have always been part of a winning side, not quite class of 92 but winning breeds winning

It's very 'Ajaxy' I think.... (even though the 'tactical system' isn't quite the same... the ethos is!)

I thought Coulthirst did ok for his short little stint. looked to find good positions and was happy to take on defenders.

Yup Coulthirst looked quite enthusiastic to me. He wasn't on long so it's hard to judge to be honest. And all I know about him is that he blew Barca away in the next gen. Maybe @ WindyCOYS WindyCOYS can shed some light on him?

Yup Coulthirst looked quite enthusiastic to me. He wasn't on long so it's hard to judge to be honest. And all I know about him is that he blew Barca away in the next gen. Maybe @ WindyCOYS WindyCOYS can shed some light on him?

Coulthirst's a funny one. His burst of energy and relatively good touch seem to put defenders on the back foot, but his decision-making often means that he dallies too long and misses a shooting opportunity.

He has often been used on the left of a front three in his youth career, but has played as the lone forward plenty of time as well.

He's a good player but I don't personally see him uprooting too many trees at Spurs. A decent loan move would tell us more about his long-term future, I'm sure. League One club in January? Swindon? Especially if Nile Ranger gets sent down...

I thought it was a tremendous debut, and really heartwarming to see 'one of our own' perform so brilliantly.

He actually heads our goals/assists chart now according to this :)

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Tottenham_Hotspur_Players_Statistics_2013-14.html

IF we beat Woolwich, and get a lower level team at home in the FA Cup, would be nice to see him play again. Maybe he'll get other chances, maybe he'll have to go out on loan as seems the way these days, but I hope he's not forgotten. If he can play LB too, what a prospect!!!!

Coulthirst's a funny one. His burst of energy and relatively good touch seem to put defenders on the back foot, but his decision-making often means that he dallies too long and misses a shooting opportunity.

He has often been used on the left of a front three in his youth career, but has played as the lone forward plenty of time as well.

He's a good player but I don't personally see him uprooting too many trees at Spurs. A decent loan move would tell us more about his long-term future, I'm sure. League One club in January? Swindon? Especially if Nile Ranger gets sent down...

Thanks windy. I think decision making is something that can be trained, especially given enough playing time, it's just a matter of whether he develops enough. It sounds like he has at least got a little raw talent. Let's hope for a loan.

I loved the look of Fredericks, but thought he was clearly some way off of fist team contention with us. Id like to see him loaned out and then check up on him again in pre-season.

His pace and positive play was excellent and he really had the look of a PL player in the making IMO.

Coulthirst I thought was good as well, again positive and showed some very smart movement. Another to loan IMO.

With the squad we have you really need to be a Wayne Rooney like prodigy to break in straight through the academy, so loans should be seen as a positive step on route to the team.

Would have liked to have seen dombaxe come on for a bit. The only thing that's a worry with Fredericks is his positioning when defending. You can clearly see the winger in him. I noticed that he often had no idea where to go when tracking a player's run or just trying to tackle someone. Atleast that can be trained though. His run for the penalty was outstanding!

Bump

Surprised nobody said this at the weekend although Boro didn't show up against Woolwich I thought Ryan played really well and even threw in a couple of tasty challenges on the scum Mason style

Aside for the cup game they have only lost 1 of the 11 league games he has played in, which in championship is saying something

Glad he is working under a good manager in Karanka and hope he gets promoted, another youth success even if he may not end up with us

Bump

Surprised nobody said this at the weekend although Boro didn't show up against Woolwich I thought Ryan played really well and even threw in a couple of tasty challenges on the scum Mason style

Aside for the cup game they have only lost 1 of the 11 league games he has played in, which in championship is saying something

Glad he is working under a good manager in Karanka and hope he gets promoted, another youth success even if he may not end up with us

He could well get an opportunity with us.

Rumours where Yedlin was not up to scratch? (Think I read that on here). So unless we buy we could be thin at right back.

Playing well at the top on the table championship club is a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom