Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's one really bad performance and now there's going to be an anti-Mason circle jerk?

He's played in 21 games for the first-team so far. Damn this is a fickle bunch.

There's one really bad performance and now there's going to be an anti-Mason circle jerk?

He's played in 21 games for the first-team so far. Damn this is a fickle bunch.

when's the last time we every controlled a game with bentaleb and mason, they are weak in the middle of the park defensively. I will praise them though for their attacking contribution ,but that's as far as it goes. We should strongly consider playing a 3 man midfield against decent opposition

when's the last time we every controlled a game with bentaleb and mason, they are weak in the middle of the park defensively. I will praise them though for their attacking contribution ,but that's as far as it goes. We should strongly consider playing a 3 man midfield against decent opposition
Yeah at times i'd rather see dembele in the mid

your on another planet fella!.
its the premier league.. decent opposition comes week in week out!.. bentaleb has been outstanding this season.. masons also been a breath of fresh air!!.. we had a very bad day yesterday!.. rooney also said its the best 45 mins they've had all season..
most games this season we've had more possession than our opposition home and away! get over it..

your on another planet fella!.
its the premier league.. decent opposition comes week in week out!.. bentaleb has been outstanding this season.. masons also been a breath of fresh air!!.. we had a very bad day yesterday!.. rooney also said its the best 45 mins they've had all season..
most games this season we've had more possession than our opposition home and away! get over it..

I have seen them work very hard and help on the attacking side but i am yet to see us control a game like we did with Modric+ Parker/Sandro or Dembele & Parker.Like I have said, I think we can compensate for the defensive problem in midfield by having a defensive midfield behind bentaleb and mason like stamboulie or capoue

We need to play Eriksen in central midfield and we need him to start a good 10-15 yards further back, also to get him on the ball earlier and help us soak up then first 10 secs of frantic pressing after we just won the ball.

But I have to say, that we will also need to look into signing a more experience defensive midfielder with positional sense and leadership qualities.
And a lot more talent at pressing and winning the ball against top-level players.

I've been skeptical of the Mason/Bentaleb partnership. I rate them individually but I do agree with triffic that the combination of them leaves us lacking in some ways. I'd keep both of them, but we do need to see some movement in and out in the summer, and I think a rotation of Bentaleb and Mason would do well alongside a more seasoned midfielder.

It was a group effort yesterday in putting out a piss-poor performance, but Mason and Bentaleb were sadly exposed.

when's the last time we every controlled a game with bentaleb and mason,
Chelsea 5-3 is the most obvious one I can think of at the moment, do you remember that game?

A question for you. What was the last partnership you saw for Spurs that had controlled every game?

they are weak in the middle of the park defensively.
This is so wrong, it's silly.

Bentaleb has 43 interceptions, putting him in tied for 15 overall for all midfielders in the league with Wanyama and Kouyate and did so in about 470 less minutes. He also has 6 blocked shots and 36 clearances. His tackling has a 50% success rate, and there are only 10 other midfielders in the entire league that has a 50%+ success rate with more tackles than him.

Ryan Mason on the other hand has had 55 tackles this year, also with a 50% success rate, putting him in 8th overall. Although not nearly as many as Bentaleb, Mason has had 28 interceptions this year.

I will praise them though for their attacking contribution ,but that's as far as it goes. We should strongly consider playing a 3 man midfield against decent opposition
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't Mason, Bentaleb, and Eriksen count for three?

I have seen them work very hard and help on the attacking side but i am yet to see us control a game like we did with Modric+ Parker/Sandro or Dembele & Parker.Like I have said, I think we can compensate for the defensive problem in midfield by having a defensive midfield behind bentaleb and mason like stamboulie or capoue
I think we need to swap one of them (probably Mason) for a more defensive midfielder. That would at least allow us to keep the same number of attackers going forward.

Chelsea 5-3 is the most obvious one I can think of at the moment, do you remember that game?

A question for you. What was the last partnership you saw for Spurs that had controlled every game?

This is so wrong, it's silly.

Bentaleb has 43 interceptions, putting him in tied for 15 overall for all midfielders in the league with Wanyama and Kouyate and did so in about 470 less minutes. He also has 6 blocked shots and 36 clearances. His tackling has a 50% success rate, and there are only 10 other midfielders in the entire league that has a 50%+ success rate with more tackles than him.

Ryan Mason on the other hand has had 55 tackles this year, also with a 50% success rate, putting him in 8th overall. Although not nearly as many as Bentaleb, Mason has had 28 interceptions this year.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't Mason, Bentaleb, and Eriksen count for three?
Eriksen this year hasn't really played as a midfielder, so much as a second striker, or LW, in terms of his positioning. He presses, but usually way up front next to Kane, rather than being in the band behind that.

Eriksen this year hasn't really played as a midfielder, so much as a second striker, or LW, in terms of his positioning. He presses, but usually way up front next to Kane, rather than being in the band behind that.

Understood, but it is also completely unfair to suggest that we only have two people in our entire midfield.

Okay, so aside from Mason/Bentaleb with Stambouli or Capoue behind him, what does the rest of the lineup look like?

The reason Bentaleb and Mason works so well is because they are both hard-working, energetic, passionate deep lying midfielders who will give you a bit of everything. They can both set up attacks due to their passing (remember all that sideways shit? Yeah not so much now), they can both get stuck in and break up play, they can both run the fast break and overlap.

No other combination of CMs has the dynamic approach that they do, and it helps that they are used to working together. It's all well and good wanting to abandon ship after a shitty performance - but for me that was more of a Pochettino error than anything as it's clear that Mason and Bentaleb aren't going to be able to control Fellaini as well as the United midfielders supporting him.

If you want to piss on everything that we have developed so far this season so be it. But when we stick with Mason and Bentaleb and they look like magic again next game - say your sorry and eat some humble pie you ungrateful fucks.

The reason Bentaleb and Mason works so well is because they are both hard-working, energetic, passionate deep lying midfielders who will give you a bit of everything. They can both set up attacks due to their passing (remember all that sideways shit? Yeah not so much now), they can both get stuck in and break up play, they can both run the fast break and overlap.

No other combination of CMs has the dynamic approach that they do, and it helps that they are used to working together. It's all well and good wanting to abandon ship after a shitty performance - but for me that was more of a Pochettino error than anything as it's clear that Mason and Bentaleb aren't going to be able to control Fellaini as well as the United midfielders supporting him.

If you want to piss on everything that we have developed so far this season so be it. But when we stick with Mason and Bentaleb and they look like magic again next game - say your sorry and eat some humble pie you ungrateful fucks.
Neither benteleb nor mason are deep lying playmakers. Benteleb to me thrives in the box to box role and mason , as I've said, is an advanced attacking midfielder ( who tbf has played the deep lying role pretty well for his first season minus his positional sense being rather poor).

Some of you really are embarrassing... I suppose we should look to replace Bentaleb, Walker, Dier, Eriksen, Chadli, and Dembele in the starting 11 too? They've all had poor games this season as well...
:pochfacepalm::pochbye:

He is not good enough for this level
this defensive midfielder is complete bollocks ... potch doesn't play with them that's why sandro has gone and capoue aint getting a game!.. one dimensional gub and a waste of a player on the pitch imho invented by the like of mourinho to bore the pants out the rest of us!.

We are working with a two-man central midfield though, that is a fair description. And against some (most?) teams, it's entirely too lightweight.
It's not "most" though, because we generally tend to control the tempo and flow of the games. Against some teams, yes, I would agree that we could use a little more physicality in the middle of the pitch or at CB positions, especially late in games where we tend to get porous.

Back
Top Bottom