Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Experience, as in amount of years in a coaching role, to me, is bullshit.

What matters is: Does he have good ideas about how to play football? Does he have enough confidence in his ideas to stick by them when the going gets tough? Does he have the qualities necessary to have his players buy into the ideas and to go along with them? And does he have the man management abilities necessary to keep the players acting disciplined and professional, and the stones to deal with those who do not?

Many great managers were great in their early years. Nagelsmann is one obvious example. Solskjær had his best results in his early years in Molde. Mourinho was fantastisc as a young manager, but horrible now.

It can be a huge benefit to be young, to be "inexperienced". Youth often comes with a fresh outlook, with fresh ideas, and with confidence and positive energy. Experience may be negative, like Mourinho's experience from his last three or four gigs.

With what Mason has gone through, he may have more life experience than most managers. He was hospitalised, near death, and had to fight hard to get back to what he loved. That experience may be worth way more than 5 or 10 years as a U23 coach or as an assistant manager or as a manager for a lower league team.

The results the rest of the season should not decide his future. But rather how he works, how he affects the players, which ideas he brings forwards, and if the players seem to respond well to him and respect him.

I cheer for him and hope he succeeds. If he does, I certainly hope Levy is willing to give him a proper chance.

Sorry, but a deflection that fell to Bale's left foot and a somewhat fortunate penalty means we're great now?

Where was the free flowing, shackles off football? First half was worse than most of the displays under the last manager.

We beat a team 2nd bottom in the form table and it's all ding dong the witch is dead? Some of you are actively deluding yourselves.

Oh Jesus...a fucking American wheeling out xG stats etc. after one game against a team nearly bottom of the form table. Good one Tex, you sure know your soccer.
Mad Norman Bates GIF

Southampton 2-5 and United 1-6 were two examples, but last half year I don't know.
I think the original inference was supposed to be us coming from behind whilst losing at half time??? If that's so then the Southampton game was 1-1 at Half time.

Either way, we just rarely did comebacks under the Dinosaur. And if losing at Half-time, as per another poster on here, not since late 2019!!!!

I guess this proves how easy football management is.

RUN ABAHT A BIT BOYS

And don't create a poisonous atmosphere, job done.

All about the players.
This is literally a huge portion of the job if you have superior talent.

It’s when you run into teams of similar ability is when things become unglued. Hence OGS struggling in CL And semi-finals

Someone took the time to do a tactical analyses of Mason's first game. A fair description of events I feel.

Reading that almost makes it sound like a good performance.

Ultimately we scraped over the line against a bad team with a 90 min penalty.

I don't remember too many chances from open play.

We obviously had the great Bale finish which came from good play from Ndombele and Son and a terrible decision from Lucas.
We then had the disallowed goal which was another good move and finally the penalty from the set piece.

It's not like we were slicing through Southampton.

I didn't feel they threatened our goal in large part to completely gassing after their first half efforts and Ings going off. But we also didn't just sit back, we were behind so we couldn't but then even when we equalised we went for the winner which I like to see.

The fact that it was against such a poor team makes me reticent to get too carried away but there were some positive signs in the 2nd half.

If we can lay a glove on City this weekend I'll be impressed.

People making it sound like Ryan has won the quadruple already

Fact is we needed a lucky last minute pen to beat a shit-cunt team at home - we are horrible rn and this will not be an overnight fix

I suggest we keep our expectations realistic for the rest of the season

Someone took the time to do a tactical analyses of Mason's first game. A fair description of events I feel.

One thing I like about this write up is the piece on movement ahead of the ball.

One of my biggest gripes with Poch, once the FBs fell off, was our lack of movement ahead of the ball, especially when around the box. So few overlapping runs.

City, Pool, and even Brighton (Potter, I always got your back) are movers. They don't let the defended keep an eye on you.

Whoever is the manager needs to get us moving in the final third in order to break down teams

Back
Top Bottom