Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One thing I'm not wild about is he looks a bit like James McAvoy.

tumblr_n6p9xvEcAd1tcoiomo1_400.jpg

This for me is a continuation of the same theme from the World Cup having watched the likes of the US, Chile, Costa Rica take on the big boys. It just shows if you have someone that is combative, passionate, fit and professional, he can make the over hyped market of players look like shit.

He has taken out Lampard and Wiltshire, squared up to Benteke and never shy.s away from a challenge, can pick a pass near or far, makes runs into the box, covers defensively for people, asks for the ball, shouts at teammates basically does the lot, EXACTLY what we have needed for the "number 8" in the team, he is no Parker, he is no Modric, he is a bit of both - he's Ryan Mason.

This for me is a continuation of the same theme from the World Cup having watched the likes of the US, Chile, Costa Rica take on the big boys. It just shows if you have someone that is combative, passionate, fit and professional, he can make the over hyped market of players look like shit.

He has taken out Lampard and Wiltshire, squared up to Benteke and never shy.s away from a challenge, can pick a pass near or far, makes runs into the box, covers defensively for people, asks for the ball, shouts at teammates basically does the lot, EXACTLY what we have needed for the "number 8" in the team, he is no Parker, he is no Modric, he is a bit of both - he's Ryan Mason.

And you think with natural progression and adaption to the pace of the league his learning curve is steep at the moment but he's coping fantastically and has a huge amount of improvement in him still. Great start so far though...

He's got it. Very impressed with him! He's one of the few players taking initiative, trying to create the whole game when we are shit. We need that. Has replaced Holtby (passion, creative) and added composure on the ball. Love it. Happily eating crow on that one!

Moves the ball vertically with purpose and authority. We've not seen that in a while. Hopefully he's got a long ways to go before he hits his ceiling.

Exactly, as well as keeping the midfield ticking over he has the ability and the bravery to try and play those killer forward passes. His defensive contribution is more than respectable as well, I would really like to see him next to Stambouli as I think he would then be given more freedom to go forward. Aside from that I much prefer Stambouli to Capoue.

Good player the lad and will be playing for England shortly if he keeps it going.
Has all the attributes of the modern day midfielder but plays wity purpose at all times and ain't afraid to put his foot in. That makes him a little bit different to most these days.

He was brilliant against Villa. As Pairsy said, it was noticeable how often he would look to do something better than safely pass it sideways or backwards. One pass that really sticks in my head is the one where he flicked the ball over I think Lowton to release Rose down the left.

He was brilliant against Villa. As Pairsy said, it was noticeable how often he would look to do something better than safely pass it sideways or backwards. One pass that really sticks in my head is the one where he flicked the ball over I think Lowton to release Rose down the left.

Wasn't he an attacking midfielder prior to be moved more central, bit like Bentaleb being moved back perhaps thats wby Mason has an eye for the forward pass, good player no question.

Mason was again our brightest player. Why? because he does the right stuff. He rarely needs more than two touches. He is aware of his team mates and who is around him.
A professional footballer should be able to control the ball, that's a given. Playing football is all about passing, moving into space to receive a pass and working hard. It's really quite easy. The trouble starts when you hold onto it too long and nobody is moving into space...which happens quite a lot with us.
Mason and Lamela are the exceptions.
Sorry to change the topic, but people talking of Mason's sliding tackles brought to mind the Vertonghen tackle on westwood.
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that there was fuck all wrong with it? It was not a two footed lunge. In fact his right foot ws planted studs down into the ground and his left played the ball.
Westwood jumped and was not touched, but that's his prerogative. Why did he get a yellow for that?
That Sanchez geezer did just the same on AT, but never got to the ball. AT jumped over the lunge and got on with it.
Really puzzles me.

I think the Jan tackle was one that in real time will always look worse, I was expecting him to be sent off to be honest.

I think the Jan tackle was one that in real time will always look worse, I was expecting him to be sent off to be honest.

Agreed, I was worried but on replay it wasn't bad at all. His right foot was planted on the ground, definitely not two footed and didn't make contact with anything but the ball. It was awkward looking and that's why he got a yellow but I don't even think it was a foul on replay.

Agreed, I was worried but on replay it wasn't bad at all. His right foot was planted on the ground, definitely not two footed and didn't make contact with anything but the ball. It was awkward looking and that's why he got a yellow but I don't even think it was a foul on replay.

I think the speed/power he came into the tackle made it look worse as well. Anyway, glad it wasn't a red as we really wouldn't have come back from that.

All the talent in the world won't save you if you have no stomach for the fight. It's when both guys are up for it that talent will tell. Mason's combination of both is what we need.

Back
Top Bottom