Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

More than 3 different words in the same line will never catch on...
The mention of ArseAnal in any song always makes me shudder...
Nickin' a 'West Ham-style tune' won't go down well in certain parts of Norf' Lunnun...

Other than that, it's a sure-fire hit this Sundee Lunchtime!!
How's about instead of 'and he fucking hates the *******'
'And he ain't a cunt like Wilshere'

Really wasn't good today. We looked more of a threat when he went off. Needs to really be on his game next week. I mean remember we beat Chelsea AFTER he went off.

Really wasn't good today. We looked more of a threat when he went off. Needs to really be on his game next week. I mean remember we beat Chelsea AFTER he went off.
Come off it fella!
He did not have a great game, but saying/insinuating that we are a better team without him is far from the truth.

More than 3 different words in the same line will never catch on...
The mention of ArseAnal in any song always makes me shudder...
Nickin' a 'West Ham-style tune' won't go down well in certain parts of Norf' Lunnun...

Other than that, it's a sure-fire hit this Sundee Lunchtime!!
Well we launched that Mason song on the tube before the game yesterday, it's got legs. If you hear it at QPR, listen out and join in. It's a beauty

Ryan Mason's rise to the first team is one of the best things to happen this season. With Kane and Bentaleb they broke through at the "expected time", in Nabil's case even earlier. However, Mason was gone, he was supposed to be next O'Hara, Livermore or Marney, nothing wrong with that, but they all wanted to do it at Spurs. A true inspiration for the younger lads regardless how long he will be in the first team.

OldDefenselessBallpython.gif

http://www.football365.com/faves/9748789/Ryan-Mason-Spurs-Other-Local-Hero

Ryan Mason - Spurs' 'Other' Local Hero

Whilst Harry Kane takes the headlines and plaudits, it's worst remembering that he isn't the only tale of 'local boy done good' at Spurs. Ryan Mason has been superb...

It doesn't feel like there is room for another story of 'local boy done good' at White Hart Lane this season. The progress of Harry Kane has been pronounced and astounding, his goalscoring record understandably grabbing the headlines and column inches. Against QPR on Saturday, Kane scored his 25th and 26th Tottenham goals of the season - the obsession is at least understandable.

Yet Kane is not the only north Londoner to rise to prominence at Spurs this season. Born in Enfield, Ryan Mason's journey to the first team has been lengthy and arduous, but his performances this season deserves no less praise. One could argue that it is he, not Kane, who is the poster boy of Mauricio Pochettino's Tottenham.

Mason's route to the top is unusual. He made his Spurs debut in the Europa League against NEC Nijmegen in November 2008, but was forced to wait almost four years for his next appearance. With Aaron Lennon now out on loan, Mason is the only player still at the club who remains from that squad in the Stadion de Goffert, but there were times when he must have doubted that fact. "Yes, I had offers," Mason told the Daily Telegraph in October. "I had meetings with my agent about opportunities elsewhere but I had the confidence and belief to play here and I decided to stick it out."

There must have been times when that belief ebbed away. Mason was loaned out five times in as many years, including spells at Yeovil Town, Doncaster Rovers, Millwall and Swindon Town. A move to Lorient in France was the least successful, failing to make a single appearance. "That was difficult to take," Mason says. "But it has all helped make me mentally stronger." That constant positivity seems a theme in his personality.

The midfielder had to wait almost six years for his Premier League debut, thrown in by Pochettino into the cauldron atmosphere of a north London derby against Woolwich. He's not looked back since.

The Spurs manager has a cavalcade of central midfielders at his disposal - Nabil Bentaleb, Paulinho, Moussa Dembele, Etienne Capoue and Benjamin Stambouli - with the presence of Sandro in QPR's side a reminder of just how many have tried (and ultimately failed) to fulfil the role. None currently at the club provide the qualities that Mason brings. He has become indispensable.

The statistics are hugely impressive. No Tottenham player makes more sprints, makes a higher percentage of forward passes, or runs further than Mason. He is the tireless Duracell bunny, the personification of Pochettino's pressing system. "He's strong - and more so than he believes," his manager says. "We show him that he has improved his physical condition from the beginning of the season." A compliment on your physical condition from Pochettino, who demands such commitment from his players, should be taken seriously.

However, don't be fooled into thinking that Mason is merely a worker, for there is imagination and invention to match the effort. He is at his happiest when driving forward from midfield, his exuberance sometime slightly verging into positional naivety. It's just nice to see a young English player happy with ball at feet, looking to take on players.

The midfielder scored his first Premier League goal against Swansea on Wednesday, and after the game admitted it was a part of his game that he wanted to improve: "I want to score more than ten goals and help the team to win games. I'm very happy to score and it's a good feeling to win again."

Whilst that target still remains some way off, Mason has become noticeably more comfortable in the final third. He followed up his goal on Wednesday with a delightful pass to assist Kane's second goal at Loftus Road, and looked assured on the ball throughout. During a frantic match, Mason lost possession just nine times. The figures for Christian Eriksen, Bentaleb and Kyle Walker were 25, 17 and 27 respectively.

The natural step is to involve Mason in the England set-up, and the watching Roy Hodgson can only have been impressed. Pochettino may be understandably apprehensive about loading too much expectation on his midfielder, but there is no doubt that Spurs are an enjoyable team for Hodgson to watch. Not only did Pochettino name the youngest Premier League side of the season against QPR (breaking their own record), but their goals and assists were all registered by Englishmen aged 23 or younger. That's an anomaly in the top half.

There is also an important lesson to be learned with Mason. Normally when a player reaches 22 and is still being loaned out by a Premier League club, his chances in the top flight look slim. Mason offers a different tale. He is evidence that expecting players to be the finished article at 18, 19 or 20 is highly foolish. Are we guilty of letting players slip through the net?

That's certainly the view of sport psychologist Dan Abrahams, who used the example of Mason when speaking to Football365 about his concerns over English youth football.

"They need to create a coaching culture that extends the life span of young players like Mason," Abrahams said. "They have to be patient and wait. Young physical talent also need time to mature psychologically. Neuroscience teaches us that your intelligent brain doesn't fully wire up to your emotional brain until you are in your mid 20s." Mason is a categorical example of that.

That Mason only made his Premier League debut less than six months ago seems preposterous given his confidence and form during Spurs' bid for Champions League qualification. Importantly his feels a sustainable rise, built on hard work and a devotion to making the grade. There is a great deal to admire in that - one suspects he is far better for the experience.

Daniel Storey

“The fans weren’t having Harry,” Ramsey said. “They were trying to get the galácticos on the pitch but we stuck to our guns and got a lot of flak for it. I have a lot of friends who are Tottenham fans and I used to tell them about the players coming through. I’d say: ‘Ryan Mason is probably the best footballer at the whole club’, and they were like, ‘Nah, we need this person from this country, or that person from that country’.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/06/chris-ramsey-qpr-tottenham-hotspur

Back
Top Bottom