Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

England debut March 2015.
First league start for Spurs September 2014.
Subbed off for Swindon after getting injured, yet again January 2014.
Sat on the bench for Lorient, this was as close he came to action on his loan there March 2013.

Today he made his England debut, made the tackle that lead to the goal. Harry Kane is not the only fairytale at Spurs. Ryan Mason, he's one of our own!

image.jpg

I'm not going to say that he's been stellar the last two games, but the level of scapegoating directed at him lately has been pretty absurd.
A scapegoat by definition is the person unfairly decorated with the blame for a failure. Mason has been the subject of a deal of relevant and not unreasonable criticism for performances that are below the standards that he has set himself. Sadly some of it was set against some wildly over the top reviews of his abilities and influence.
What the guy deserves is a more balanced and less histrionic appraisal of his footballing abilities.

A scapegoat by definition is the person unfairly decorated with the blame for a failure. Mason has been the subject of a deal of relevant and not unreasonable criticism for performances that are below the standards that he has set himself. Sadly some of it was set against some wildly over the top reviews of his abilities and influence.
What the guy deserves is a more balanced and less histrionic appraisal of his footballing abilities.
So? without quoting wiki - what do you think?

Criticism is one thing, but there has been unreasonable levels of him being singled out as the weak link in the team while some others have gone far less criticized, yet have arguably performed worse. I stand by what I said, he has been the subject of scapegoating, and just because he can rightly be criticized for performances doesn't mean that this cannot happen. If the unfair weight of failures are leveled against one person, that is the definition of scapegoating.

Criticism is one thing, but there has been unreasonable levels of him being singled out as the weak link in the team while some others have gone far less criticized, yet have arguably performed worse. I stand by what I said, he has been the subject of scapegoating, and just because he can rightly be criticized for performances doesn't mean that this cannot happen. If the unfair weight of failures are leveled against one person, that is the definition of scapegoating.
Ok, if that has happened then it's escaped me. IMV he has been off his game in the last few matches, by his own standards. But as you say, he hasn't been alone in this, or solely culpable.

Who is the scapegoat?
I wasn't aware there was one, I don't have one to offer.
My view remains unchanged as to the problems the club is beset with, and that is a lack of a decent Modric like midfield creative talent, a Ledley like defender and a Teddy like support striker.
We lack game changing, quality players, to put us consistently at the top table

Ok, if that has happened then it's escaped me. IMV he has been off his game in the last few matches, by his own standards. But as you say, he hasn't been alone in this, or solely culpable.
it's happened a lot in the game threads after the match and people have been dropping him from their future lineups while leaving the likes of Chadli or Townsend in. I agree with you that he's been off his game, but I happen to think that at least part of that is a little inexperience as other parts of our game are breaking down and he gets stretched too thin.

it's happened a lot in the game threads after the match and people have been dropping him from their future lineups while leaving the likes of Chadli or Townsend in. I agree with you that he's been off his game, but I happen to think that at least part of that is a little inexperience as other parts of our game are breaking down and he gets stretched too thin.
He's what 23? hes been playing football all his life, at what point do people stop making the inexperienced excuse? Sorry, he knows well enough where to be on a football field. At some point in time you will just have to accept that as good as he is, he's not good enough to be the player the team wants, at this moment.

Back
Top Bottom