Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Because he's been around for so long, in people's minds it feels like he can't go up a level. But let's not forget he's just 22. If this was his first or second year in the team and playing regularly we'd be looking at him in a completely different light ("sky's the limit" etc.).

I think he'll go up several levels this season.
I'm buzzing to see what Conte going full Palpatine on Sessingnon and Skipp creates

Thought he showed strongly last season, without really making it look like he's on the verge of an explosion in attacking numbers. Mostly defended extremely well and played competently up and down his flank. Not unlike Emerson to be honest, though he showed more ability to time runs behind the opposition defence and arrive at the end of a move. Obviously has more ability in his final ball/shot.. hopefully he kicks on a bit and gets into goal-scoring positions this year, would be great to see him score 4/5 goals.

One thing I'll say for him is that he seems a guy who knows his career hit a few bumps, and he's doing everything in his power to make the most of the chance he has at our club. Can't really ask for much more, hopefully it works out for him this season. Desperately needs to avoid injury.

Thought he showed strongly last season, without really making it look like he's on the verge of an explosion in attacking numbers. Mostly defended extremely well and played competently up and down his flank. Not unlike Emerson to be honest, though he showed more ability to time runs behind the opposition defence and arrive at the end of a move. Obviously has more ability in his final ball/shot.. hopefully he kicks on a bit and gets into goal-scoring positions this year, would be great to see him score 4/5 goals.

One thing I'll say for him is that he seems a guy who knows his career hit a few bumps, and he's doing everything in his power to make the most of the chance he has at our club. Can't really ask for much more, hopefully it works out for him this season. Desperately needs to avoid injury.

Particularly in the big games against Pool & City.

He & Ben combined excellently.

Dropping out of yet more pointless England U21 summer games, returning early for Spurs training, and showing clear determination to become a Conte WB are all signs of a good mentality.

Conte bigged him up before that Europa game last season, including him in the pre-match press conference, and then Ryan got a Red card for a couple of stupid tackles. Some coaches may never have trusted him after that. (I'm thinking you Mourinho!) But Conte & our coaches have clearly continued to work hard with Sess in training.

If he stays largely free of injuries, then this is the season when he has to establish himself as a proper PL player.

I note when he broke through in the Championship with Fulham, Sess scored 20 goals in two seasons. We haven't seen that side of his game at Spurs, but he can't be a worse finisher than Regui.

If our WBs got 15-20 goals between them this season, plus even more assists, that would be huge.

If our WBs got 15-20 goals between them this season, plus even more assists, that would be huge.
Doc had 9 goal involvements last season. I reckon he, Ryan and Ivan will be involved in 30+ G and As this season.
WC coming up and Ryan will be busting a gut to get in the England squad.

Keep hearing/seeing this sentiment, that 'Sess will learn so much from Perisic", and just think it's a lazy point to make.

I don't think there's much he can learn from him to be honest, they have very different skillsets and the things that make Perisic a great player are not things Sessegnon can do, he's also very unlikely to learn them.

Sessegnon is powerful, a good defender and (while inconsistent) can have very good delivery. Historically has shown an ability to score. He needs to find ways to time runs better and find himself in scoring areas. But he'll never have Perisic's touch, ability to dribble/evade pressure, aerial threat, two-footedness, shooting ability.

Dunno if it was Perisic's influence or Ryan just watched his highlights reel but yesterday there was no cutting back inside. He kept going down the line and got the crosses in.

I'm kind of bemused that a large chunk of the fanbase really seem to rate this guy, I really don't see it.

He has definitely been solid defensively in some big games and that's great but I don't think he has the physicality or technicality to be a top wing back in both directions.

Perfectly decent squad option but he doesn't get near any other top 4 team lets be honest.

Murphy told talkSPORT White and Jordan (13/07/22 10am-1pm): “Well, he started a lot more games during the second half of last season. He really started to look comfortable in that left-wing-back position.

“Obviously, he is being well-coached, he has been given the confidence to go and perform. He had a couple of games where I thought, ‘Wow, that’s the player they bought’.

“I think he has shown Conte enough that he trusts him because they have Perisic, who I think you can see in certain games play left wing-back, although he is more forward-thinking. But he has the legs to play left wing-back.

“I think, for Sessegnon, it’s a big year for him. But I like him. A couple of mates of mine who are still at the club, they speak about him very highly.”

Back
Top Bottom