Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

he's 22 and in the last 7 years he's played for 2 different managers at Fullham, at least 1 at Hoffenheim, and five at Spurs.

Yes, I'd expect a 22 year old who has played for 8 different managers in 6 seasons to not only still be learning, but potentially have had his development delayed through no fault of his own.
Fair enough, but don't you think said player should have shown something, anything to suggest tangible merit in all those managers? Which brings me to his intrinsic qualities. What do you feel are qualities that he possesses? What should we expect when his development is no longer 'delayed'? What I'm asking is what are we holding out for? THAT is the crucial question because it is the basis of the CBA. Is he gonna be WC, a backup, a champo player? What do you project? All he's shown thus far is champo but if you say he's gonna be WC then I'm happy to wait a bit longer.

Fair enough, but don't you think said player should have shown something, anything to suggest tangible merit in all those managers? Which brings me to his intrinsic qualities. What do you feel are qualities that he possesses? What should we expect when his development is no longer 'delayed'? What I'm asking is what are we holding out for? THAT is the crucial question because it is the basis of the CBA. Is he gonna be WC, a backup, a champo player? What do you project? All he's shown thus far is champo but if you say he's gonna be WC then I'm happy to wait a bit longer.
There's a reason i'm not quoting you in my responses. I honestly don't have an interest in debating this with you. What does it matter what I project?

I'm a complete stranger on an internet forum. If you think Conte is repeatedly making mistakes by playing Sessegnon (when he's apparently said Perisic still isn't fit), then what could I possibly write, that would possibly convince you to have more patience?

FWIW (not much), I think the fact he's homegrown, young, and has a positive attitude is all working in his favor. I believe Perisic will be the starter for the most important matches once he's fully fit.

I think Sessegnon is quality cover behind Perisic. I don't think he'll ever be world class, but I think he's a quality backup who could turn into a decent starter.

I think it's reasonable to expect him to have a difficult game, away at a London Rival, who finished third in the league last year. Most of the team struggled. And while Sessegnon was the first one subbed off, it wasn't his coming off that changed the game as much as it was the switch in formation/tactics.

Last edited:
I'm a complete stranger on an internet forum. If you think Conte is repeatedly making mistakes by playing Sessegnon (when he's apparently said Perisic still isn't fit), then what could I possibly write, that would possible convince you to have more patience?
That! But it's not patience as if this kid is going to be a player of note. Just patiently allowing him to fill space for the time being. The problem I have is folks ignoring and denying the reality that we've witnessed for so long.
FWIW (not much), I think the fact he's homegrown, young, and has a positive attitude is all working in his favor. I believe Perisic will be the starter for the most important matches once he's fully fit.
Fair enough.
What does it matter what I project?
It should matter to you. If I ask you to be patient for dinner where I serve you a turd then it wasn't worth it was it? But if I'm serving Beef Welly then patience can be expected because it would all be worth it. Surely, that's part of the equation for you, right?

It should matter to you. If I ask you to be patient for dinner where I serve you a turd then it wasn't worth it was it? But if I'm serving Beef Welly then patience can be expected because it would all be worth it. Surely, that's part of the equation for you, right?
This is funny, it's a really poor analogy for the situation, but still funny.

Fun fact: I've never had beef wellington
unless you count a beef hot dog in a toasted bun. :contehandshead: :contelol:
just not something you see on the menu over here often, and for whatever reason I never ordered it the one time I was able to visit England.

Last edited:
It's a perfect analogy...glad you were amused.
It's not though.

I'm sure your beef wellington is better than a turd, but it's probably not as good Gordon Ramsey's. Regardless, I'm going to rely on Gordon's expertise if he tells me to be patient before I rely on yours.

So if I project him to be world class, why would that matter to you, or anyone else? Surely Conte's is the only opinion that matters.

I'm sure your beef wellington is better than a turd, but it's probably not as good Gordon Ramsey's. Regardless, I'm going to rely on Gordon's expertise if he tells me to be patient before I rely on yours.
Ramsey's a hack!!!!

So if I project him to be world class, why would that matter to you, or anyone else? Surely Conte's is the only opinion that matters.
Point being, if you project him to be turd then why wait for anything? If you project him to be WC then it's only reasonable to wait a bit longer for someone that is 'special'. Ryan Sessegnon is not special and will not be no matter how long we wait.

And if Conte's opinion is the only one that matters then why are you and many others happy clapping those that have criticism for this player? If the opinions of those that are critical don't matter then why is there a bunch of thread fascists all over the place screaming "support the club", "have patience", "you're not Spurs", "you're a gooner c*nt just like cretinousgoat cretinousgoat ", or many of the other things to try and tamp down dissent? Our opinions don't matter and since none of us are Conte then what are we even doing here?

Ramsey's a hack!!!!
Insert whatever chef you want to here, point remains.
Point being, if you project him to be turd then why wait for anything? If you project him to be WC then it's only reasonable to wait a bit longer for someone that is 'special'. Ryan Sessegnon is not special and will not be no matter how long we wait.
Not all 11 players can/will be special. Some of them just need to be "good enough".
And if Conte's opinion is the only one that matters then why are you and many others happy clapping those that have criticism for this player? If the opinions of those that are critical don't matter then why is there a bunch of thread fascists all over the place screaming "support the club", "have patience", "you're not Spurs", "you're a gooner c*nt just like cretinousgoat cretinousgoat ", or many of the other things to try and tamp down dissent?
Quote the posts where I did any of what you're accusing me of here. This is why I wasn't quoting you. I'm not interested in the back and forth for the sake of arguing. It's not my job to defend others' actions.

Our opinions don't matter and since none of us are Conte then what are we even doing here?
The context of that point is that you have very strong feelings on Sessegnon. If Conte's actions...starting Sessegnon...., isn't enough for you to think he's got any value to the club (outside of what we can get for him in the transfer market), then what can a stranger possibly say to change your mind?

Ramsey's a hack!!!!

And if Conte's opinion is the only one that matters then why are you and many others happy clapping those that have criticism for this player? If the opinions of those that are critical don't matter then why is there a bunch of thread fascists all over the place screaming "support the club", "have patience", "you're not Spurs", "you're a gooner c*nt just like cretinousgoat cretinousgoat ", or many of the other things to try and tamp down dissent? Our opinions don't matter and since none of us are Conte then what are we even doing here?

Put some respect on my name or keep it out of yer mouth!

:dembelefingers:

Not all 11 players can/will be special. Some of them just need to be "good enough".
Sure, so you ARE projecting RS to be "good enough" then? Sure would appreciate you fleshing out what that means if true. See? This is why I asked you to project what we are waiting for.

Quote the posts where I did any of what you're accusing me of here. This is why I wasn't quoting you. I'm not interested in the back and forth for the sake of arguing. It's not my job to defend others' actions.
Aren't you doing that right here? Am I wrong here? When folks criticize a player in the player thread then what else it is to come in and tell them to "have patience"? sorry if I've got that wrong but I don't think I do.

The context of that point is that you have very strong feelings on Sessegnon. If Conte's actions...starting Sessegnon...., isn't enough for you to think he's got any value to the club (outside of what we can get for him in the transfer market), then what can a stranger possibly say to change your mind?
So why are you or anyone else even trying then? Why not just let folks have a go at the player in peace?

Sure, so you ARE projecting RS to be "good enough" then? Sure would appreciate you fleshing out what that means if true. See? This is why I asked you to project what we are waiting for.
I think he’ll be an average player. We don’t see training, film study, etc, work effort in the training grounds etc. so I can’t project his quality with any confidence. None of us can. but I certainly think he’s valuable as depth/cover.
Aren't you doing that right here? Am I wrong here? When folks criticize a player in the player thread then what else it is to come in and tell them to "have patience"? sorry if I've got that wrong but I don't think I do.
I don’t believe I have told anyone not to criticize him. I think it’s silly to argue we should be selling him when at a minimum we need him to back up Perisic (IF/WHEN he becomes the starter) and IMO we have other glaring holes. I also think it’s to single him out in a bad game, at the bridge, vs a top 4 club, when the whole team played poorly for large stretches because the tactics were clearly wrong in the first place.

So why are you or anyone else even trying then? Why not just let folks have a go at the player in peace?
I’ll repeat myself. I didn’t quote you for a reason. You can have a go, I can point out why I think it’s foolish.

And I’m not going to defend others’ actions. If there’s something I’ve posted that does what you’re complaining about, qote it.

Stop this fucking nonsense. The same shit was trotted out time and again for fucking Dele Alli when he was shit after shit after fucking shit. This kid, like Dele, has been playing first team fucking football for years, since he was 16 FFS. That's 6 fucking years to learn to do a fucking job. He is what he will be and will not be getting much better. We've seen it, you've seen it, and we should all be able to admit it.
Relax. He will get until Xmas

Personally I think he has the ability to find space and bang in the final third but I’m not 100% convinced he will. He’s not awful and if it doesn’t work, no drama

Relax. He will get until Xmas

Personally I think he has the ability to find space and bang in the final third but I’m not 100% convinced he will. He’s not awful and if it doesn’t work, no drama
if he doesn't then he can't...simple. And he can't.

if he doesn't then he can't...simple. And he can't.
You might be right, but you might not. He’s clearly suffered with growing pains and two of the worst managers in the history of the PL.

It’s too early to kill him. I tend to think he think he won’t make it but let’s see

Back
Top Bottom