Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

...But that's the thing about a so-called "project player"; if you've paid 25m for them you don't ditch them after 6 months (of which he's been injured twice) at the age of 19.
Sometimes we make mistakes and this is one. The fact, as you stated he has been injured twice at 19 just underlines my view. Get rid and fast.

I don't care about the championship. Good for him if he can forge a career in a champo club

Funny how you did when you were using it as a means to disparage him.

You also think that fact that he'd been injured this season underlines why he should be sold.

He's 19; you're knee-jerking.

The irony is that yourself and the others writing him of so eagerly will no doubt be found in other threads complaining that we don't sign enough promising youngsters....

Sessengon has showed promise as a kid; now he needs to be shown some patience.

Funny how you did when you were using it as a means to disparage him.

You also think that fact that he'd been injured this season underlines why he should be sold.

He's 19; you're knee-jerking.

The irony is that yourself and the others writing him of so eagerly will no doubt be found in other threads complaining that we don't sign enough promising youngsters....

Sessengon has showed promise as a kid; now he needs to be shown some patience.
What is wrong with you? Signing young players i'm all for. But signing duds for £25m me and most of the sensible fans are not. Stop with your constant gerrymandering it gets old and tiresome.

What is wrong with you?

Nothing.

Signing young players i'm all for. But signing duds for £25m me and most of the sensible fans are not.

You've decided he's a dud; despite knowing fuck all about the kid and seeing him play a few less than impressive games in a struggling tottenham team.

I'm sorry, but what are you, some kind of ultra-scout?

Nope; you're just being a knee jerk.

Stop with your constant gerrymongering it gets old and tiresome.

That's not even a word... Care to try again.

Last edited:
What is wrong with you? Signing young players i'm all for. But signing duds for £25m me and most of the sensible fans are not. Stop with your constant gerrymandering it gets old and tiresome.
Well maybe because he was one of the hottest champo prospects? And proved he can play in PL despite being in weak side?

Well he could just be one of many Championship players who fail to adapt even though they show flashes of slight brilliance.

Some of them adapt and survive, Jack Grealish seems to be doing great with Villa this season. I'm sure some end up like ...David Nugent?

As for him being 19, sure I'm willing to give him time. That being said, I also remember all the other youth prospects which we have brought in since ENIC took over, and how many of them seemed to have flopped when trying to transition to the first team.

I haven't followed the youth set up in some time as a result, but can someone on here please remind me of a youth player that we signed or promoted who didn't struggle to adapt to the first team?

For those that say this kid is only 19 and give him some time I would like to point out that he is in his 4th season of 1st team football. He played over 2000 (1500 league) minutes for Fulham's 1st team in 2016-17 as a 16yo. And the next year, 17-18, he was Champo player of the season. Beyond that this is his 2nd full season in the PL.

Sure, he has mitigating circumstances of it being his 1st year with us and we are in disarray but that doesn't explain some of the things we see from him on the field. Many of the things you see (or don't as it were) are due to the fact that there isn't much there there to this player and never was. People that actually watched him would/will not be surprised with what he has 'produced' so far. Those that have focused on the goal contribution stats are pulling their hair out wondering where the Bale-like player with the blazing pace, rocket shot, and 1v11 goals is going to show up. To put your collective minds to rest that player isn't showing up in the guise of Ryan Sessegnon...ever. We may get the goal-hanging tap-in merchant from the Championship if we can get some MF control but otherwise this doesn't look good.

Agreed, you reminded of a suspicion I had in May last year...

"as a defender he's an OK winger, as a winger he's an OK defender"
Perfectly put Bill. That's me calling you out 2x in one week for being on the money.

I don't understand why everything is so black and white for people. Sess has been shit this season but he wasn't raved about last season for performances like this so he obviously has more in the locker than we've seen so far. Why are we not seeing the best? Lack of confidence? Whatever it is, writing him off because of one season is ridiculous and many Spurs players over the years should've taught you that judging people on their first season just makes you look stupid.

I don't understand why everything is so black and white for people. Sess has been shit this season but he wasn't raved about last season for performances like this so he obviously has more in the locker than we've seen so far. Why are we not seeing the best? Lack of confidence? Whatever it is, writing him off because of one season is ridiculous and many Spurs players over the years should've taught you that judging people on their first season just makes you look stupid.

He has a point, Bale didn't exactly get off to a flying start with us.

He’s been terrible for his entire PL career, and the hype has proven to be no different that of Jesse Lingard etc

That people rate him, Ndombele, and Dele as any better than Davies, Dier and Lamela is completely baffling.

Our squad is average from bar Lo Celso, Kane and Son who in all honestly are the only three top level we have.
Bergwijn is a player that show’s potential worth keeping.
Even Gedson.

THATS the start and effort I want from newbies, not Sessengon or Ndombele prancing around

Last edited:
That people rate him, Ndombele, and Dele as any better than Davies, Dier and Lamela is completely baffling.
It's no surprise from you but this is a disingenuous argument Sammy. There is a difference between a person lacking in ability and them lacking in application. Sure, at the business end of things it is still the same kinda like someone being completely oblivious to things versus someone being willfully ignorant - at the business end you still get a know-nothing.

But this is a false equivalence you are spouting in order to continue your shouty narrative. Though all of Dele, Ndombele, and Sessegnon have been unimpressive on the whole this season the circumstances for each is different...and it's not even nuanced such as to fall below you threshold of recognition.

And if you respond keep it germane.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom