Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think he was also bought with him being a long term project in mind. Someone that we could afford to give time to develop so that he can perform for us in a few years rather than immediately. Gio and Tanguy were the signings for the here and now.

Ryan is only 20 and on a long term deal, we can afford to give him time right now. If we sneak EL next season I think he will be one of the big winners of that.

True indeed.

It'd be awesome for Japh, Sessengon, Parrot and Ndombele.

He needs time. It really is that simple.

I thought he would be better but he has joined a sinking ship.

Nobody would have shone in such circumstances so the very least the bloke needs is patience.

I definitely have the patience for him. I just don’t know where he plays and it’s always been the case. Not really fair on the player that we signed him and don’t have a definitely role for him. I wonder what dream he was sold?

I definitely have the patience for him. I just don’t know where he plays and it’s always been the case. Not really fair on the player that we signed him and don’t have a definitely role for him. I wonder what dream he was sold?

Berries, lemons and big things....

He literally hasn't had one good game as winger in the premier league. He is not a PL level winger. He can't dribble man. He is a left sided defender, always was. But in the championship he scored a ton of goals from the left because the defending is so much worse and he is good at exploiting space and rather quick and athletic.

You don't gave to be able "to dribble man" - I can see him being Thomas Muller kind of guy. Great footballing brain, right time being in right place, some people don't get the phenomenon but who cares if he (meaning Muller in here) is helping to make the team tick.

I cannot imagine that Sess could be any more useless than Moura?!? Can he?

Maybe the massive transfer fee went to a teenager's head and coming up against far better players than him every day has been a bit of a rude awakening.

Maybe hearing all the hype and having agents and hangers on in his ear for the 3 years when he was the most highly rated teenager in the UK and eventually getting his big move and the £60k a week hasn't worked out well for him...along with arriving injured. Maybe still being close to home and his regular circles isn't good for him.

Levy is always gambling on young players and getting the next big thing, apparently we were close for Halilovic back in the day when he was being described as the Croatian Messi. Dodged a bullet there.

At one point Fulham were quoting £100m, at least he'll hold his value a bit better as a home grown player if he's not a complete flop. Less financial risk. Still has time, but there's no guarantee he'll be a star at our level despite his potential.

He looked good against Bayern, he makes strong direct runs but people don’t seem to want to play him through. In fact Dele seems to deliberately not pass to him. Have not really analysed his defence as much so wont comment. Def does not appear to have a bad attitude though.

Best part of his game for me is his movement and his runs.

Not entirely beneficial as a left back. Think a loan would be best for him. I'm sure he'd have plenty of admirers in the Premier League.

We just need to decide if we want them to play him left back or on the wing.

Best part of his game for me is his movement and his runs.

Not entirely beneficial as a left back. Think a loan would be best for him. I'm sure he'd have plenty of admirers in the Premier League.

We just need to decide if we want them to play him left back or on the wing.

Obviously too early to make any real judgement, but I haven’t seen anything from him that suggests his price tag. I know he was playing a much more advanced roll at Fulham in the championshi and was productive, but since his move to the PL all I have seen is straight line speed and good runs. I think he has the instincts, but I question his out and out winger ability. He isn’t a Willian type of winger. He isn’t a Son. He just doesn’t have much on the ball ability.

LB for me is where he has to train and focus. Less demanding in terms of creation. He has the AWB qualities for me in terms of the on the ball belief, stature, and pretty standard approach at attacking. That does limit his instincts of making runs, but I just don’t see that being something we lean on to warrant a starting 11 spot.

Obviously too early to make any real judgement, but I haven’t seen anything from him that suggests his price tag. I know he was playing a much more advanced roll at Fulham in the championshi and was productive, but since his move to the PL all I have seen is straight line speed and good runs. I think he has the instincts, but I question his out and out winger ability. He isn’t a Willian type of winger. He isn’t a Son. He just doesn’t have much on the ball ability.

LB for me is where he has to train and focus. Less demanding in terms of creation. He has the AWB qualities for me in terms of the on the ball belief, stature, and pretty standard approach at attacking. That does limit his instincts of making runs, but I just don’t see that being something we lean on to warrant a starting 11 spot.

AWB's main strength was his defensive game.... I've noted little of such instincts in RS.

Last edited:
AWB's main strength was his defensive game.... I've note little of such instincts in RS.

Agreed, I am more on about stature, on ball ability, and attitude. The question was where does he develop? For me it is LB. I think he can learn the position due to his physical attributes. If we are just leaning on his instinctual runs then I think we are hoping for a lot because outside that, I don’t see much of a winger in him.

Think he can end up a really good left back. Signs of a solid enough defensive player there, needs to improve his strength, positioning and concentration. Delivery from wide is good with variety of swinging crosses and low drilled balls. Like any young player, he needs games in this position to become what he's capable of becoming. Vital he starts 25 games next year, whoever he's playing for.

Sess doesn't need to be an awesome dribbler of the ball to be an effective LW for us- really just needs good passes and through balls to utilize his excellent speed and runs.

He could be an amazing LB though if he works hard on his defense and physique these next few years. God knows we could use a quick FB able to overlap and get in crosses from the endline out left.

Definetly think he has potential
If he needs gametime then please loan him out to a Premier league team who'd start him week in week out , hopefully he could go to a team with a back 3(5) and start at LWB .

I think this thread is fan player analysis in a nutshell... Literally from post to post it's LB > LW > LB > LW > LB.....

Bit like Dier... Every few games at CB it's "Nah he's actually better at DM"... A few games at DM and it's "should have always been a CB" anon....

Still, as long as we're all havin' fun, right! :)

I think this thread is fan player analysis in a nutshell... Literally from post to post it's LB > LW > LB > LW > LB.....

Bit like Dier... Every few games at CB it's "Nah he's actually better at DM"... A few games at DM and it's "should have always been a CB" anon....

Still, as long as we're all havin' fun, right! :)

We haven't had a legit left-footed LW since Bale.
Son is great on his day of course, but he nearly always cuts inside on his right foot.
We haven't had legit left-sided width since Danny stank it up to the tabloids and wrote himself out of the starting XI.
Sess is still just a kid. It'd be a shame to put limits on his development.
At worst, he could be a rotation option at LW when we play lower level teams in cups and, presumably, EL.

When Bale arrived I saw his attacking potential very early although he made mistakes defensively. I have not seen that with Sess. He needs to do more than make the simple pass when attacking whether playing LW or LB. I think it was against Aaron's that he tried to beat him a couple of times but failed and for the rest of the game just made simple passes. I want to see him getting to the byline and crossing. That is what I believe he was bought for.

When Bale arrived I saw his attacking potential very early although he made mistakes defensively. I have not seen that with Sess. He needs to do more than make the simple pass when attacking whether playing LW or LB. I think it was against Aaron's that he tried to beat him a couple of times but failed and for the rest of the game just made simple passes. I want to see him getting to the byline and crossing. That is what I believe he was bought for.

" I want to see him getting to the byline and crossing. That is what I believe he was bought for."
Wut? He was brought in to be winger from 90's football? I beg to differ.

Once more - I think he is the kind of player who is misunderstood and kind of under-appreciated, as people are too focused on pace and power. He is not the raging bull that Bale was for us. To me it seems that Sessgenon advantages can be more in reading the game, making right calls, being in the right place at the right time and make cleaver decisions. Something like Alli when he joined, only maybe playing bit more on the wing. Alli has never been a speed-demon. Nor did he dance past 5 defenders on his own.

Back
Top Bottom