Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I find it hard to compare Sessegnon to the likes of Walker and Bale of the same age - because Walker and Bale were at least explosive, quick and fearless.

Plus, I don't think many of us even had any high hopes of Walker - he was a double deal with Naughton (who was actually meant to be the better talent). Bale came in straight away at 17 or 18, put in a MOTM performance on his debut against Utd, scored against Woolwich in the NLD, tore Fulham apart etc. and was exciting before his injury problems.

If anything, Sessegnon should be performing ALOT better. He's got ALOT more experience than both Walker and Bale put together at the same age.

The biggest problems are those comparing him with the likes of Bale and Walker - he isn't explosive. He isn't relatively quick like either of them and he doesn't play without fear. He's a completely different player who has pretty good movement and has a good mind to be in the right place at the right time offensively. Two traits however that aren't really beneficial to a left back.

Sessegnon absolutely needs a loan - he barely got any football last season at another crucial development stage of his career and he is barely going to get any this year with Davies and now Reguilon ahead of him at full back and Bale, Son, Lucas, Bergwijn etc. all ahead of him in the pecking order in attack.

Loan, regular playing time and confidence is what the guy needs - he is only 20 years old. It's a crucial stage of his development. He is by no means a generational talent like Bale or an explosive asset like Walker but he could make a solid player who can be used up and down the field in future.

I find it hard to compare Sessegnon to the likes of Walker and Bale of the same age - because Walker and Bale were at least explosive, quick and fearless.

Plus, I don't think many of us even had any high hopes of Walker - he was a double deal with Naughton (who was actually meant to be the better talent). Bale came in straight away at 17 or 18, put in a MOTM performance on his debut against Utd, scored against Woolwich in the NLD, tore Fulham apart etc. and was exciting before his injury problems.

If anything, Sessegnon should be performing ALOT better. He's got ALOT more experience than both Walker and Bale put together at the same age.

The biggest problems are those comparing him with the likes of Bale and Walker - he isn't explosive. He isn't relatively quick like either of them and he doesn't play without fear. He's a completely different player who has pretty good movement and has a good mind to be in the right place at the right time offensively. Two traits however that aren't really beneficial to a left back.

Sessegnon absolutely needs a loan - he barely got any football last season at another crucial development stage of his career and he is barely going to get any this year with Davies and now Reguilon ahead of him at full back and Bale, Son, Lucas, Bergwijn etc. all ahead of him in the pecking order in attack.

Loan, regular playing time and confidence is what the guy needs - he is only 20 years old. It's a crucial stage of his development. He is by no means a generational talent like Bale or an explosive asset like Walker but he could make a solid player who can be used up and down the field in future.

He needs a loan but more importantly he needs a position. Personally I think he’s an attacker and not a fullback. He should focus on improving the attacking aspect of his game. He won’t make it with us as a fullback now.

He needs a loan but more importantly he needs a position. Personally I think he’s an attacker and not a fullback. He should focus on improving the attacking aspect of his game. He won’t make it with us as a fullback now.

WB or LW, in my opinion.

Think in the right system, he could quite easily be a Marcos Alonso type (without the murder), not the greatest defensively but helped out massively by the shape and system that 3 at the back with WBs provide, chipping in with plenty of goals in all competitions due to his attacking ability.

Definitely don't think his future is at LB.

He's just not a fearless, continuously attack the full back, type winger either. Maybe more of an inside forward and potentially play on the right side of midfield to cut in or get on the end of crosses from the left? But then maybe too predictable without the ability to attack on the outside.

Nah, Sess isn't one for me. Defensively average at best, going forward just lacks the sparkle and determination to get past players and put the ball in. He doesn't even look like he has the belief he can do it, let alone the ability.

He could go out on loan but i don't think its going to make any difference.

Cannot understand why he did not start in Europa as Davies is not as good attacking which he did because of the opposition. He must get a game this week and should play LB with instructions to get forward and attack.

He comes across as shy and a bit timid, but I think there is talent there - not robust enough for a defender IMO, but think he could make it in a more forward role. He seems a bit overawed by it all, maybe a loan period will build up his confidence.

If we do move to 3 at the back as has been suggested in some quarters, then I would hope we keep him and rotate accordingly with Regulion at LWB. Davies as left CB in a 3 or strict left back when we’re playing in a 4 but not (please god) as a wing back.

The rush to judgement on Sessegnon is way too premature. He’s 20. Would only want him loaned out to a team where he could get minutes at Left back or Wing back. Leicester with Perriera out (meaning Castagne can be their RB), Brighton or Palace maybe. Or if a side’s first choice left back gets a major injury in the next 3 weeks. Otherwise keep - unlike a KWP, Onumah or Skipp, Sess has played a high number of senior minutes in the champ so maybe more time training and developing isn’t the worst thing (by comparison).

Get Ryan out on a good loan where he can play as a attacking left back.

Maybe Jose has some connections in Portugal we could use?

If he develops well he could slot right into the 11 when/if Real buy back Sergio in 2 years.

Get Ryan out on a good loan where he can play as a attacking left back.

Maybe Jose has some connections in Portugal we could use?

If he develops well he could slot right into the 11 when/if Real buy back Sergio in 2 years.

Both he & Cirkin have just been gifted the chance to mature.

Alasdair Gold claimed tonight on his YouTube channel that Spurs are looking at sending him out on loan, several Premier League clubs are interested in him as well as abroad, as long as the loan fee is acceptable he'll be given the choice of where he ends up. But, he claims that his loan is conditional on him being developed as a left back.

Loan only makes sense if he's going to start, that pretty much rules out all EPL clubs they won't start a 20 year old unproven reserve at left back, that's just not happening. If he wants starting time it's a drop to the championship does that help him all that much?

If you assume he's going to be developed as an attacking FB then why not understudy Bale, it's fairly clear that Bale won't play 50 games a season so when Bale needs a rest play Ryan, with Reguilon playing LB behind him that would give him a lot of attacking freedom. Alternatively if Reguilon needs a break then play Ryan at LB in a few games, he might well get 1,000 minutes playing time at an EPL club, at the same time training with some quality left sided EPL players ... if he can live with being a back-up for another season or two then why not?

The risk with a loan is that if he keeps being shit his value plummets. I'd sell personally for 20 million, maybe with a buy back. He's shown nothing since he's been here. Seems a bit of wallflower as well.

The risk with a loan is that if he keeps being shit his value plummets. I'd sell personally for 20 million, maybe with a buy back. He's shown nothing since he's been here. Seems a bit of wallflower as well.

Sessengon 20m
Dele 40m
Sissoko ???m
Lamela ???m
Dier ???m

Who exactly is buying all these players?

Considering we've purchased Reguilon, I'd prefer it if Sessegnon was loaned out to a club where he'd grow as a player irrespective of where he plays. Do Borussia Dortmund need a LB or a LW? Send him there on a 2-year loan deal like Madrid did with Achraf Hakimi.

Back
Top Bottom