Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If it's true then it will be a major dissapointment.

Much rather would have seen him getting a loan deal to Championship or bottom half EPL side.

If we ship him to Turkey, then I'd at least ask how much they are willing to pay for him and maybe end this saga (not saying we should sell for any price, but just to ask, maybe they somehow would value him highly)? It kind of hints we don't have any real faith in him.

If it's true then it will be a major dissapointment.

Much rather would have seen him getting a loan deal to Championship or bottom half EPL side.

If we ship him to Turkey, then I'd at least ask how much they are willing to pay for him and maybe end this saga (not saying we should sell for any price, but just to ask, maybe they somehow would value him highly)?

Kinda late in the day, but there are otherwise still plenty of options out there:

ReSotS.png

ReSrUG.md.png

It kind of hints we don't have any real faith in him.

Yup.

Very damning if he can't even buy himself until January considering we're in the Pound-shop Euro Cup.

Does seem odd if the rumours are true. Supposedly Nuno was keen to buy him when he was at Fulham and the player doesn't strike me as not hard working or lazy. In fact he seemed well p;aced after last season's loan to want to try and push on.

With all that it would be very odd to ship him out on loan unless there was a genuine feeling that regular playing time would be more of a benefit but then why Turkey?

Doesn't add up.

Does seem odd if the rumours are true. Supposedly Nuno was keen to buy him when he was at Fulham and the player doesn't strike me as not hard working or lazy. In fact he seemed well p;aced after last season's loan to want to try and push on.

With all that it would be very odd to ship him out on loan unless there was a genuine feeling that regular playing time would be more of a benefit but then why Turkey?

Doesn't add up.

He was probably endeared by the same thing that caused us to blow £25m (+ £5m odd ons) + Onomah on the kid...... Not quite sure what that was other than his goal tally, mind.

Struggled when Fulham got promoted and hasn't looked like he has anything particular in his locker when he has played for us.

Really should have stayed a fullback. I think he got his head turned playing on the wing in the Champo and has never been right since. Feel like he's going to waste what could have been a glittering career trying to be something he just isn't. And I feel like that's why he's on the outside looking in at Spurs, he wants to play a position/style we just have no interest in utilizing him in.

TBF, I did say this the summer before we bought him and when we bought him.

Kid needs to grow a set of balls and man up because the talent is there. When he gets kicked he needs to have the right reaction. Anger is energy.

Really should have stayed a fullback. I think he got his head turned playing on the wing in the Champo and has never been right since. Feel like he's going to waste what could have been a glittering career trying to be something he just isn't. And I feel like that's why he's on the outside looking in at Spurs, he wants to play a position/style we just have no interest in utilizing him in.

I agree with the keep him as FB/WB theory....

However, in terms of what he wants; we've been playing him as LW so he's on the same page as the club in that respect.

I agree with the keep him as FB/WB theory....

However, in terms of what he wants; we've been playing him as LW so he's on the same page as the club in that respect.
When we play him. Which is the crux of the issue in my opinion. He seems unwilling to play elsewhere, which is why we seem happy to just toss him out on loan and hope someone gives us some sort of return even if it just minimizes our losses.

Poch bought him, and I have zero doubt he wanted to revert him to a WB Rose 2.0. Poch was gone by the time he got healthy, Jose wasn't interested in trying to talk a want to be winger back into the fullback he should be. Seems Nuno doesn't find it productive to try and talk him into it either.

He's got talent, and has made virtually no real appearances for the club since arriving. To me its clear that his ideas of what he is and the club's aren't aligned, and any minutes he does receive are just to try and put him in the window so we can get him shipped out.

When we play him. Which is the crux of the issue in my opinion. He seems unwilling to play elsewhere, which is why we seem happy to just toss him out on loan and hope someone gives us some sort of return even if it just minimizes our losses.

Poch bought him, and I have zero doubt he wanted to revert him to a WB Rose 2.0. Poch was gone by the time he got healthy, Jose wasn't interested in trying to talk a want to be winger back into the fullback he should be. Seems Nuno doesn't find it productive to try and talk him into it either.

He's got talent, and has made virtually no real appearances for the club since arriving. To me its clear that his ideas of what he is and the club's aren't aligned, and any minutes he does receive are just to try and put him in the window so we can get him shipped out.

Soz, not trying to be awkward here....

You're saying:

Player wants to be a LW
Manager(s) prefer to play him at LW

Yet they're not on the same page?

Soz, not trying to be awkward here....

You're saying:

Player wants to be a LW
Manager(s) prefer to play him at LW

Yet they're not on the same page?
No. I'm saying:

Player wants to play LW
Managers want him to play LB
Player refuses to play LB
Managers very occasionally play him at LW hoping someone somewhere likes him enough to get him out of our squad.

If we loan him out again now, especially to a low level league like Turkey, it’s basically an admission that he isn’t good enough to play for us.

He needs to stay here this season so we can find out if he’s good enough to be involved with our first team in PL matches.

No. I'm saying:

Player wants to play LW
Managers very occasionally play him at LW hoping someone somewhere likes him enough to get him out of our squad.

The boy himself:

“I think at this moment in time I don’t have a preferred position, I see myself long term at full-back,” Sessegnon told Sky Sports.

“When I watch myself in clips, the way I play, my body shape, I feel like I am more suited to an attacking left-back role.

“But I always have it in my mind to be strong defensively as well. It’s just getting the balance between attacking and defending.”

If we loan him out again now, especially to a low level league like Turkey, it’s basically an admission that he isn’t good enough to play for us.

He needs to stay here this season so we can find out if he’s good enough to be involved with our first team in PL matches.

The boy himself:

“I think at this moment in time I don’t have a preferred position, I see myself long term at full-back,” Sessegnon told Sky Sports.

“When I watch myself in clips, the way I play, my body shape, I feel like I am more suited to an attacking left-back role.

“But I always have it in my mind to be strong defensively as well. It’s just getting the balance between attacking and defending.”

Sessegnon doesn’t play very much because he is worse than both our LBs and worse than our LWs as well.
The interview was given 2 years ago, however, and he's basically not played LB since. I put stock in what I see, not what he's previously said. Its been pretty plain since Fulham let him score goals in the Championship that he wants that sort of spotlight, to me at least. Which is why I was down on buying him, because he never looked to have the attacking quality for our level.

Either, as you say, it just doesn't look like he's up to our level. I think he could be at FB, certainly better than Davies if he really wanted to be. But for whatever reason, he just isn't and doesn't look likely to be at this rate.

No. I'm saying:

Player wants to play LW

Jeez, if we're pandering to the whims of a veritable no-mark rather than what the managers want; we're in trouble.

What makes you say that a) RS is "refusing" and that b) managers want to play him at RB but are ceeding to the player's whims instead?

My guess would be he's looked shit at LB and we're just trying to squeeze something out of him without making us vulnerable in defense..... Problem is he's showing no overt strength at either end of the pitch.

StripiestPilot said:
Sessegnon doesn’t play very much because he is worse than both our LBs and worse than our LWs as well.

That would be my take as well....

Tbh I think he is one of those like Davis and Moura that need a run on the team.

He'll never get that run unless he is #2 in the pecking order and #1 get's injurred.

eg See Davies/Rose 2016/2017

Completely disagree - he has star quality in the box

Jeez, if we're pandering to the whims of a veritable no-mark rather than what the managers want; we're in trouble.

What makes you say that a) RS is "refusing" and that b) managers want to play him at RB but are ceeding to the player's whims instead?

My guess would be he's looked shit at LB and we're just trying to squeeze something out of him without making us vulnerable in defense..... Problem is he has no overt strength at either end of the pitch.
Its not really pandering, pandering would be just playing him at LW. If a player tells you he won't play at LB, why would you just play him at LB?

Its not as though Bergwijn has been excellent at LW. He's been so great we had a forum full of people wanking to a fast rugger all August.

Really all a pointless discussion, anyway. Hes not going to cut it at LW. Whether he ever had the chance to do so at LB doesn't really matter. There's really not a lot of evidence for/against because we just haven't played him there. Either by his choice or mutual consent.

Back
Top Bottom