Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I watched all the preseason games, and I have to say, I did not see absolutely anything positive from Sess.

Uncertain, without confidence, no aggression, no drive, no pace. Static play and even passes were very "meeh". I totally hope that he will prove me awfully wrong during the season, but currently I can't help to think that if say promoted Fulham would give us 15 mil for him in this situation whichever we could invest into higher priority positions, it would be quite tempting. I'd say that even Clarke showed more during preseason..

I watched all the preseason games, and I have to say, I did not see absolutely anything positive from Sess.

Uncertain, without confidence, no aggression, no drive, no pace. Static play and even passes were very "meeh". I totally hope that he will prove me awfully wrong during the season, but currently I can't help to think that if say promoted Fulham would give us 15 mil for him in this situation whichever we could invest into higher priority positions, it would be quite tempting. I'd say that even Clarke showed more during preseason..
He wasn't wonderful pre-season but let's wait until we see him in a real game.
Redknapp wanted to sell Bale IIRC.

I thought he was good when he went to LB in one of the games. I think he can be good there, has smart movement and suits the position. Not that he'll match their level, but Patrice Evra and Ashley Cole would have looked ordinary if played at LW as well. Unfortunste to have lost minutes at LB to Cirkin who looks a long way off being ready for the level required.

I thought he was good when he went to LB in one of the games. I think he can be good there, has smart movement and suits the position. Not that he'll match their level, but Patrice Evra and Ashley Cole would have looked ordinary if played at LW as well. Unfortunste to have lost minutes at LB to Cirkin who looks a long way off being ready for the level required.

Did he though? I don't think he did... of course it needs to be considered that the sample size is small + we were rotating heavily and opposition as well. To me he felt soft in this position as well.
And I also doubt he has serious future as LB, as his biggest asset is positioning sense and anticipation in or near the oppo box. Maybe he could work as LWB or being the more adventurous of our fullbacks but given Doherty addition I have my doubts. Maybe as part of back 5 then..

I think he is gonna stay anyways and I don't have much against it. I don't hate him or don't actively want him to be sold. It was more of an idea that came to me after preseason games.

He wasn't wonderful pre-season but let's wait until we see him in a real game.
Redknapp wanted to sell Bale IIRC.

I don't know, to me it seems that you should show something wort giving a chance already in preseason - as I mention I felt that Clarke did more. Bar was not to score hat-trick in every game but rather to show moments of quality and promise. Neither of which I don't remember from Sess unfortunately.

Nothing would make me happier (well, maybe Ndombele raising to one of the best CMs in the world despite rough start) than Sess to become new Bale, but I really don't like such comparisons. It is so overly simplistic - as well one can say that Kane came through the academy and became world class, hence our academy produces exclusively world class and we should never let go any of our academy graduates. Unfortunately very-very large majority of players who struggle at first don't turn to Bales and very-very large majority of academy products don't cut it in Spurs.

He scored our first goal of pre-season and in another game he had 2 or 3 great chances to score.
He wasn't great but he wasn't awful.

Sess just needs confidence, I see a player who isn't quite sure whether he belongs at this level.
I remember the Boro cup game and it’s like he would get into a good position , but wouldn’t make an effort to call for it want the ball, he also would always look for the easy pass when you would want him to take someone on, like you said I think it comes down to confidence as he comes across as quite a down to earth shy lad , I hope we preserve with him as if he gets the confidence he can be some player

He scored our first goal of pre-season and in another game he had 2 or 3 great chances to score.
He wasn't great but he wasn't awful.

Yea, did you see the goal?
98 out of 100 such shots would be saved by EPL goalkeeper, tame effort that rolled in with some luck.

And I have to admit I don't recall other good chances. I think there was one he fluffed badly (which is hardly positive sign)...

But we'll see. We have a lot of games coming up, and he will most likely get quite a lot of gametime.
Just hoping that he will turn to another Bale not into another Bently.

Bale looked good from the start going forward but made a few defensive mistakes and we had a poorer team then and needed a stronger LB. Sess has not shown that but he is not first choice unless Davies gets injured and needs to show more intent in the forthcoming cup games. I really do not understand why decisions on players like Sess are made yet as they should await our cup games when we will need our fringe players and decisions can be made before the window closes. I would like to see him at LB more.

Sess just needs confidence, I see a player who isn't quite sure whether he belongs at this level.
That's something Ryan and I have in common then. It's good to see that he's gotten there in his mind because I've been there since about the time we were first linked with him and no new data has supported changing that perspective.

Still wonder if anyone would have seen anything in this player if the stats didn't show the cherry-picking goals. I suspect they wouldn't have because there is nothing else there to be seen. There are no intrinsic qualities to this player, no technical ability, questionable pace, no defensive instincts, no ability to beat a man with the ball, etc. He's got nothing and has demonstrated nothing as a player beyond pointing to poached goals from LB. And folks want to say it's lacking confidence. Yeah, I'd lack confidence too if I also lacked the ability to actually perform the expectations of my role. Funny that.

Bale looked good from the start going forward but made a few defensive mistakes and we had a poorer team then and needed a stronger LB. Sess has not shown that but he is not first choice unless Davies gets injured and needs to show more intent in the forthcoming cup games. I really do not understand why decisions on players like Sess are made yet as they should await our cup games when we will need our fringe players and decisions can be made before the window closes. I would like to see him at LB more.

The dilemma is that if peeps want a cup (which many deem is a "must" at this point) then we need to be able to have confidence in Sess at LB even if it is in those 'easier' games.

(I wasn't keen on signing him, yet happy enough to be patient... However, it's fair to say our needs demand more of him than he's shown so far.)

Football London understands that the club are confident that Ryan Sessegnon will become an elite left-back but want to ensure the 20-year-old will develop at the right pace with plenty of game time. The decision has been made to loan out Sessegnon and there is already a frenzy among clubs from the Premier League and across Europe enquiring about a loan deal for the England U21 international. The aim for Tottenham is that Sessegnon heads off temporarily, gets the required game time, builds his confidence and belief and develops fully as a left-back. Spurs believe that in Reguilon and Sessegnon, with the guidance of Davies, they have their left-back spot sorted for the next decade and eventually will have two of the world's best young full-backs fighting it out to start.

Back
Top Bottom