Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He is not a good young player. His potential has long been exposed as actually not that high. He peaked early. He's not physically or emotionally pushed on at all. He is never going to amount to more than we have seen. Factor in his frailty and its time to move him on.

I never really saw it when he was at Fulham. He was good for a 17 year old but his athleticism is awkward and he doesn’t seem in control. Not really technically gifted either. He’s just average.

Hope I’m wrong.

Making a dumb tackle doesn't make this kid a shit player.

He's very talented and should be one of the ones we keep under Conte.

He really isn't very talented though, if he is he does a great job of hiding it. He looked incredibly average when he was in the Premier League with Fulham. Watching him for Spurs, I do not see that he has one outstanding attribute. Not that quick, not that strong, no idea if he can cross as he doesnt attempt them. Clearly not a good tackler. He doesn't beat his man, he doesn't make many good runs off the ball.

If he's very talented, what are his talents? He's done nothing outside of youth football and scoring a few in the Championship. He's had a small chance at a higher level with Fulham and flopped. In a Spurs shirt, he has been painfully average.

We need to stop fucking about with no-mark players just because they are early 20s. If they don't have it, get rid of them. Chelsea have better players than this coming through their ranks who hardly get a sniff of first team football (Hudson Odoi for example). But that's why they are current Champions League holders who just beat Juventus 4-0. Top of the Premier League as well. They aren't wasting their time on players who show nothing. If they are good enough, they play, if not they are either loaned out or sold.

He was my most anticipated signing in 2019 window. Sure he's young, had injuries, and a 'decent' loan spell, but honestly, he's looked nothing special at all. He's doesn't seem to be quick compared to our other wingers, doesn't really take players on, can't cross, and his defending is questionable.

Despite what he did today, I don't Conte phases him out anytime soon. If he stays free of injuries, he'll get other chances, hopefully he capitalizes on them.

He is not a good young player. His potential has long been exposed as actually not that high. He peaked early. He's not physically or emotionally pushed on at all. He is never going to amount to more than we have seen. Factor in his frailty and its time to move him on.
I thought he was quite good in a decent portion of his games for Hoffenheim last year, never saw him play much at Fulham. Hopefully he stays fit and they can make a decision on him before the summer. We should be in a for a pair of ruthless transfer windows.

It is amazing that the window where we signed Sessegnon, Lo Celso, and Ndombele has done as much damage as where we went 18 months without signing anybody! What the fuck have we been doing asa club the past few years, the drop in the quality of our players is unbelievable.
Apparently the chief scout/technical director during that period is now revamping the scouting department.

Which doesn't fill me with confidence. Everyone involved in our first-team recruitment over the last 4 years wants shooting, it's been a fucking diabolical mess.

Feel bad for him tbh after all the chat about how this could be the chance to restart his career.

But yeah, that was shit.

I'd give him to the end of the season to do something. I'd also let him know that he has this year to prove himself here. If he doesn't get rid next summer. No more messing about with underachievers, either you deliver or you find another club.

Sessegnon seems like somebody who needs the stick rather than the carrot.

To be perfectly honest even his peak was mostly back post tap in's in a dominant championship side, was impressive for his age but he showed very little in the way of raw talent. Was very odd we then went and spent what we did on him after a season of looking out of his depth at Premier League level.

Apparently the chief scout/technical director during that period is now revamping the scouting department.

Which doesn't fill me with confidence. Everyone involved in our first-team recruitment over the last 4 years wants shooting, it's been a fucking diabolical mess.

What are you talking about?

Fab is the DOF..... He's just arrived and he's the one overseeing the revamp.

What are you talking about?

Fab is the DOF..... He's just arrived and he's the one overseeing the revamp.
According your good self Fab and Hitchen together are now revamping the scouting and recruitment.

I'd prefer it to be just Paratici or A N Other. Just not Hitchen.

Hitchen is somebody i have absolutely zero confidence in. That's based on our recruitment over the last 4 years which he has reportedly overseen. That was his role and for that he should have been fired because it's been a total disaster.

According your good self Fab and Hitchen together are now revamping the scouting and recruitment.

I'd prefer it to be just Paratici or A N Other. Just not Hitchen.

Hitchen is somebody i have absolutely zero confidence in. That's based on our recruitment over the last 4 years which he has reportedly overseen. That was his role and for that he should have been fired because it's been a total disaster.

Fab is the main man... Much like Levy used to wield the power over Hitchen previously.... His position here has long been over-played since Amazon made a meme out of him... He'd barely ever got a mention here before the TV show; such was people's ignorance of him.

Honestly, other than a head scout with a fancier job title; what exactly do you (or anyone for that matter) think he does here?

Poch would have had a huge slice of the non-financial say when it came to Ndombele, Gio & Sess (+ others)..... Which has proved far more detrimental than what followed in the following 2 windows under Jose.

Last edited:
Fab is the main man... Much like Levy used to wield the power over Hitchen previously.... His position here has long been over-played since Amazon made a meme out of him... He'd barely ever got a mention here before the TV show; such was people's ignorance of him.

Honestly, other than a head scout with a fancier job title; what exactly do you (or anyone for that matter) think he does here?

Poch would have had a huge slice of the non-financial say when it came to Ndombele, Gio & Sess (in particular)..... Which has proved far more detrimental than what followed in the following 2 windows under Jose.
He was our Chief Scout and then our Technical Performance Director. I'd say those are pretty senior positions at a football club this size. Nobody appears to have a clue what he actually does. That's probably a good indicator he's fucking shit at whatever it is he actually does do.

I do know our scouting and recruitment of players during his tenure in these roles has been disastrous. Should he not be held accountable?

But managers, players come and go, he seems to sit there immune from it all because well, we don't actually know what he does...

He was our Chief Scout and then our Technical Performance Director. I'd say those are pretty senior positions at a football club this size. Nobody appears to have a clue what he actually does.

Head scout/chief scout; I said as much myself.... That's pretty self explanatory. And as I said, I think the other is just a fancy name as the hierarchy around him evolved after Poch left to include that Trevor chap from Swansea who last 5 minutes.

That's probably a good indicator he's fucking shit at whatever it is he actually does do.

Not really. That's a pretty lazy sense of analysis really tbf.

What we can afford to do is judge him on the scouting aspect of things if nothing else, but see previous comments about the process chain at any one time..... How much of the yes-buy/no-don't aspect of the decisions being made by him is far less clear. I suspect for the bulk of his enure that kind of autonomy wasn't really part of his remit.

I do know our scouting and recruitment of players during his tenure in these roles has been disastrous. Should he not be held accountable?

I'm literally having the same conversation across 2 different threads right now..... (I see you're reacting to those posts too now, so I shan't go much deeper here).... But suffice to say, grey area is much of my point here.

But managers, players come and go, he seems to sit there immune from it all because well, we don't actually know what he does...

I'm sure you can guess what a chief scout does, but.....

18/19 - No signings.
19/20 - The window of doom (w/Poch)
20/21 - Covid window (w/Jose)
22/22 - Parratici's 1st window. (w/Nuno) >>> Hard not to assume Fab's arrival essentially amounted to a soft demotion of Hitchens.

.......Chop it up and compare how you see fit.

Back
Top Bottom