Safe-standing at White Hart Lane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Further to that report there have been long conversations about conducting a trial starting next seasons at NWHL, however there is talk of using a "Northern" club for image reasons, the Tories want to be seen doing stuff outside of London, several big Northern clubs have been asked to come up with proposals, even though none will have a purpose built stand like ours ... not sure how that will play out ... but no question safe standing is coming .... just where and when.

How about Northern London? :sonhmm:

Sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up because the oldsters, who got to actually experience a proper atmosphere when they were younger, want to sit down in the "yellow wall". No fun for you youngsters. Ticket prices as well, who cares? The oldsters bought property when it was cheap, giving them the sense that their wealth is down to some special form of hard-work. Those lazy youngsters, why cant they afford to buy some shithole flat in Hackney for 500k?
Basically, Fuck you all 🙂

Also don't tell the wankers on SC about Union Berlin, nearly everyone stands.

used to be like that in this country

before it was 80 quid a seat

That crowd surge at 2:15 looks terrifying.
I noticed that on first viewing. It's not really any different to lots of gigs to be fair. I've been swept off my feet (ended up amongst the trainers and, beer and piss) a few times, but generally gig goers look out for one another. However, I did think there would have been crush barriers in place even at the time of the video. It would appear there weren't however. Even that simple addition, which doesn't reduce capacity at all would make a massive difference surely?

I noticed that on first viewing. It's not really any different to lots of gigs to be fair. I've been swept off my feet (ended up amongst the trainers and, beer and piss) a few times, but generally gig goers look out for one another. However, I did think there would have been crush barriers in place even at the time of the video. It would appear there weren't however. Even that simple addition, which doesn't reduce capacity at all would make a massive difference surely?

That was the norm on any packed terrace, the shelf included. Trick was to stand with a barrier behind you to prevent getting squashed against one.

Getting out from the shelf could be dodgy as everyone pushed and you were so crushed sometimes got to the first stair and realised my feet were both in the air and needed to get them on the ground. I was younger then and so ok but would not find it so easy now. Think the worst surge I was involved in was at one of the Wembley finals when we scored, cannot recall which one but ended up many yards forward to where I started. Makes today's safety look very boring.

I only managed to go a handfull of times before the seats got put into Park Lane, but in my experience that same thing applied and can remember being picked back up by the scruff of my neck a couple of times.

With safe standing all you need is the same notion of rows as now, but put a 'lean-bar at the front of each row instead and that will negate all risk of surges.

Getting out from the shelf could be dodgy as everyone pushed and you were so crushed sometimes got to the first stair and realised my feet were both in the air and needed to get them on the ground. I was younger then and so ok but would not find it so easy now. Think the worst surge I was involved in was at one of the Wembley finals when we scored, cannot recall which one but ended up many yards forward to where I started. Makes today's safety look very boring.
I used to get in early to stand right at the front of the shelf, and used to take three or four games to get conditioned to standing for nearly four hours. Nowadays I struggle to stand still for an hour in the pub before the game! I'm ok walking for miles, but standing still becomes quite painful. I enjoy the novelty of standing when we get moved, so for CL games, we opt for South Stand, and as the space is allocated, don't have to get there hours before to claim a good spot.
With regards to the Wembley surge, mine was definitely against Man City, when we though Glenn had scored a wondrous free kick. I think I must have moved down 10 steps of terracing. Would frighten the life out of me now or end up in traction, but back then, it was all part and parcel of watching a game live. My first visit to Wembley, and it was magical. Never thought I would be back there five days later, or that I would be back another five times in 18 months!

Back
Top Bottom